Last Updated on
Dal is a rich source of protein for babies as well as adults. It is highly nutritious. Consuming a few amounts of dal daily is a very good habit. Dal Dhokli recipe is prepared using dal and wheat flour which has more fibre. It is very healthy and weight gaining food for babies after 8 months. Dal Dhokli for toddlers is very easy to prepare and can be served with rice as well as roti. Giving this dish often to babies will ensure a lot of nutrients in their diet which will surely give way for the healthy development of your little ones.
Type of Meal
Babies above 18 months of age
Lunch and Dinner
Ingredients for Dal
|Ingredient||Quantity and Volume|
|Toor Dal||1 cup|
|Mustard Seeds||½ tbsp|
|Cumin Seeds||½ tbsp|
|Grated Ginger||½ tbsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||½ tbsp|
|Turmeric Powder||½ tbsp|
|Jaggery Powder||2 tbsp|
|Tamarind Juice||2 tbsp|
|Lemon Juice||2 tbsp|
|Coriander leaves||2 tbsp|
|Cooking Oil||1 tbsp|
|Chopped Tomato||¼ cup|
|Raw Peanuts||¼ cup|
|Chopped Onions||1 cups|
Ingredients for Dhokli
|Whole wheat flour||1 cup|
|Tumeric powder||½ tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||½ tsp|
|Cooking oil||2 tbsp|
Now, let us see how to make dal dhokli for babies at home easily.
- Let us start with making the dough for dhokli. To the wheat flour add turmeric powder, chilli powder, asafoetida, and salt. Mix it nicely by adding little amounts of water.
- Finally, knead the dough with oil to get a smooth mixture. Cover the dough and rest it for 10 min.
- Meanwhile, take the Toor dal and wash it twice. Then cook the dal in a pressure cooker for three whistles.
- Add turmeric, salt, asafoetida, red chilli powder and 1.5 cup water to the cooked dal. Cook this for 2 more minutes till it blends nicely and set it aside.
- Take a pan and heat 2 spoons of oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves to it and allow them to splutter. Now add ginger, tomato puree, tamarind juice, cinnamon, and bay leaf.
- After cooking them for a few minutes, add the prepared dal along with jaggery. Let it cook for two minutes.
- Now take the dough, make smooth balls by dividing into equal portions. Press the balls and then cut it into ½ inch diamond-shaped strips.
- Add these strips into the dal mixture once it gets boiling. Also, add the roasted peanuts. Allow dal to cook for 5 more min along with dhoklis. Add some water if necessary.
- Check for a thick texture, soup-like consistency. If needed, you can add some more water.
- Finally, add lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Delicious Dal Dhokli is ready to serve.
There are a few tips to follow while making this easy Dal Dhokli recipe for babies:
- Remember to cook everything on a medium flame.
- Wash dal thoroughly so that all the impurities and dust particles may be washed out.
- Knead the dough as much as you can so that it becomes smoother.
- Add lemon juice after turning off the flame.
Nutrition Information (Per 100 Grams)
|Vitamin A||117.8 g|
|Vitamin C||3.8 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.3 mg|
- Dal is a good source of protein.
- Jaggery contains Iron and calcium which helps in preventing anaemia and in the development of strong bones.
- Lemon Juice is a rich source of Vitamin C.
- Cinnamon, Asafoetida helps the baby to digest easily and purifies the blood and also protects from cold and cough.
- Turmeric is a natural antibiotic.
- Wheat provides a high amount of fibre to the baby.
- Be cautious while buying groceries, make sure you buy hygienically packed ones only.
- Use fresh ghee instead of oil, preferably use homemade ghee.
- Buy organic food products from a good store.
This homemade Dal Dhokli recipe for babies is easy to chew and digest for babies. The nutritious value of this dish keeps our babies healthy and the sweet and sour taste makes babies enjoy food while eating.