Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.
Ayurveda Dos and Don’ts – Food Habits for a Healthy Life!
Generally, we believe that being healthy means the human body is free of any diseases. But Ayurveda has a wider parameter and also includes the happiness of mind, soul and senses in a healthy human.
Dos and don’ts as per Ayurveda:
- The combined use of ghee (clarified butter made of cow or buffalo milk) and honey together in equal quantity is harmful.
- Use of salt in milk is prohibited in Ayurveda.
- Jackfruit and milk should never be taken together.
- No citric substance should be consumed with milk.
- Consuming curd after morning meal and consuming milk after night meal is good for health.
- Never consume curd in the night.
- Drinking water immediately after exercising or having a meal should be avoided. One should wait at least half an hour to drink water after a meal.
- Take a short walk after dinner.
- Ayurveda has always promoted and relied on a vegetarian diet; so do I. If you want to stay healthy, stay vegetarian.
- Junk and processed food are the ones that must be avoided. Cooking a healthy and fresh meal should always be a priority. Homecooked food is always better for good health.
- It is better to substitute cold drinks with buttermilk, fruit juices, lemon water and other healthier liquids.
Obesity is the major cause of concern these days. Try to do your work on your own. I generally see that these days, hiring help in the house has become a matter of privilege and pride. Performing household work not only keeps you active and healthy; it also gives you a sense of satisfaction.
I have already mentioned above that the combination of salt and milk is a deadly one. It is, in fact, carcinogenic. Never ever eat any meal cooked with a combination of milk and salt.
I prefer and advice mustard oil for cooking. It is rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids, and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. These good fats lower the risk of developing heart disease. Mustard oil also has linolenic acid, which, when converted to omega 3, prevents colon and stomach cancer.
Food must always be cooked either on lower flame or middle flame.
Never eat your food in a hurry. Chew food properly before ingesting for better metabolism. Never eat your meal in aggression or anxiety. The kind of effect the food gives to your body also depends upon your mood when you consume the food.
Seasonal fruits must be included in the diet. Each fruit is beneficial in preventing so many diseases.
And above all, be happy and laugh as much as you can. Good laughter is the mother of good health.
Stay Happy and Stay Healthy!