Last Updated on
Pumpkin is a common vegetable in India, and it has its special dish in each region. Pumpkin is easily available in the market, and it is easy to prepare. It only shows how versatile pumpkin is as you can use it in sweet and savoury dishes. Pumpkin also has many nutritional benefits. Pumpkin soup for babies is a perfect food for babies to wean.
Type of Meal
Any toddler above 15 months of age
Evening or mid-morning meal
Soup / Starters
|Ingredients||Quantity and Volume|
|Onion (Chopped)||½ piece|
|Fresh Cream||¼ cup cream|
|Ghee or Butter||2 tbsp|
|Salt||¼ tsp or according to taste|
If you are wondering about how to make pumpkin soup, then do not worry as we have explained to you a simple way to prepare this dish.
- Peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds, and slice it into small cubes.
- Melt butter or ghee in a saucepan, and fry the chopped onions.
- Now, in the pan, add the pumpkin cubes and continue to sauté until they start turning brown.
- Add three cups of water to taste and season. Let the pumpkin cook until it’s completely soft.
- Pumpkin will start to become mushy. Let it cool down to room temperature.
- Grind the cooked pumpkin into a puree. If you are serving your baby for the first time, then you should strain the puree.
- Place the pumpkin puree in a saucepan, and add the fresh cream and salt according to taste.
- Boil the soup on a low flame and turn off the heat.
- The soup is ready to serve. Serve it hot.
- Garnish it with a pinch of pepper.
Remember the below-mentioned points before you start preparing the healthy and simple pumpkin soup recipe for your baby.
- Remember to de-seed the pumpkin properly.
- Cut it into small pieces, so that’s it is easy to cook.
- Chopped the onions into small pieces.
- Make sure you do not boil the puree too much as over-boiling will make the consistency thick.
- Peel off the pumpkin properly so that the hard skin goes off.
- Wash your hands properly before cooking and makes sure the utensils used are properly washed.
- Grind the pumpkin into a puree. Do not add water. Strain the soup.
- Always use a low flame, so that it doesn’t get stick to the pan.
Nutrition Information (Per 100 Grams)
|Vitamin A||3716.2 mcg|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||2 mg|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.9 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.9 mg|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||11.5 mcg|
Below are the health benefits of home-made pumpkin soup baby food recipe.
- Pumpkins contain many vital nutrients and minerals such as magnesium, potassium, iron, calcium, phosphorus, vitamins C, A, E, K, folate and riboflavin.
- It helps in preventing anaemia.
- Pumpkin develops the immunity system of the child and prevents them from cough and cold.
- Pumpkin can promotes better eyesight.
- Onion is good for skin and hair.
- Pumpkin Soup is excellent for digestion.
- Pumpkin Soup is a healthy soup and makes your baby feel full for a longer time.
- It promotes good health of bones and teeth.
- Highly nutritious and particularly rich in Vitamin A.
- Packs vitamins will boost immunity.
- Buy organic, fresh and good quality pumpkin and onion from the stores.
- The pumpkin should be fresh.
- Do not buy chopped pumpkin pieces.
- Check the expiry date of the salt, butter or ghee before buying.
- Use good quality of fresh cream, or you can also prepare it at home.
The baby’s health is very important for every parent. Give your baby home-made food instead of depending on formula food bought from the market. This pumpkin soup is delicious and nutrient-rich. Both toddlers and babies love it. Serve your baby healthy pumpkin soup in the evening, at least two times a week.