Best Family Friendly Sunday Dinner Ideas
Sundays are the one day in the week that the whole family gets together and spends quality time. The best way to do so is over a delicious meal that makes Sundays memorable. However, all family members want something special for Sunday dinner. So cooking the same old dishes is out! The whole family loves dishes that are delicious and comforting as they make the family gathering more intimate and meaningful. Prepare a special Sunday dinner for your family and spend a memorable time with them as you wind up the week.
Mouthwatering Sunday Dinner Ideas for Family
Sunday dinners are special, but cooking elaborate dishes leaves little time to spend with family. These unique yet easy-to-cook Sunday family dinner ideas require less preparation time and are loved by the whole family.
Have a look at them and give it a whip:
1. Chicken Pot Pie with Homemade Biscuits
Make this delicious chicken casserole with homemade bacon and cheddar biscuits. This comforting dish is perfect for a family Sunday dinner.
- Butter- 1/2 cup
- All-purpose flour- 1/3 cup
- Chicken broth- 1 ½ cup
- Milk – 1 ½ cup
- Creole seasoning- 1 ½ teaspoon
- Sweet Onion – 1 large (diced)
- Mushroom – 1 packet (8 oz) (sliced)
- Cooked chicken- 4 cups (shredded)
- Frozen Hash Browns (cubed)- 2 cups
- Matchstick Carrots -1 cup
- Frozen Sweet peas- 1 cup
- Fresh Parsley- 1/3 cup (chopped)
- Cold, bitter cubes- ½ cup
- Self-rising flour- 2 cups
- Cheddar cheese – ¾ cup (shredded)
- Cooked bacon – ¼ cup (chopped)
- Fresh chives – 2 tablespoons (chopped)
- Whipping cream – 1 cup
- Butter (melted)- 2 tablespoons
- To prepare the fill- Preheat your oven to 425°. Keep a large saucepan on medium heat and melt 1/3 cup of butter.
- Add all-purpose flour to the butter and cook for 1 minute with constant whisking.
- Add chicken broth with milk gradually and cook for 6 to 7 minutes. Keep whisking till it turns thick.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and add Creole seasoning.
- In a Dutch Oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add mushroom and onions and sauté for 10 minutes till they turn tender.
- Add chicken with the next four ingredients and sauce.
- Spoon-fill the mixture in a lightly greased baking dish.
- Mix self-rising flour with butter cubes with a fork or pastry blender till it is crumbly and resembles small peas.
- Add bacon, cheese, chives, and whipping cream to it and keep stirring till the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Knead the dough a few times on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough in ¾ inch thickness. Cut round biscuits with a 2 ½ inch cutter.
- Bake the chicken pie filling in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Take out from the oven and arrange the biscuits on the chicken mixture.
- Bake the pie for 25 to 30 minutes till the biscuits turn golden brown.
- Take out from the oven.
- Brush the biscuits with melted butter,, and your dish is ready.
2. Italian Meatloaf
Make this delicious meatloaf with Italian flavors for a special Sunday night dinner.
- Ground beef- 2 lb
- Crusty Italian bread- 6 slices
- Whole milk- 1 cup
- Grated Parmesan – 1 cup
- Large eggs- 4
- Minced Parsley- 1/3 cup
- Italian Seasoning- 1 tablespoon
- Salt- 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper- ½ teaspoon
- Thin Pancetta (sliced)- 12
- Diced tomatoes (drained)- 2 cans
- Brown Sugar- ¼ cup
- Dry Mustard- 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne Pepper- 1 pinch
- Worcestershire Sauce- 5 dashes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Soak the bread in milk.
- Take a large bowl and add ground beef, parmesan, soaked pieces of bread, eggs, Italian seasoning, parsley, pepper, and salt,, and knead with your hands to mix well. Let it rest.
- In another bowl, add tomatoes, brown sugar, cayenne, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce and mix well to make the sauce.
- Make a loaf shape out of the meat mixture and place it on a drip pan.
- Arrange the pancetta slices on it in an overlapping pattern.
- Spread the tomato mixture over it.
- Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 30 to 40 minutes.
- Take out of the oven.
- Cut in into thick slices and serve.
3. Chicken Pierogi Supper
Frozen Pierogi combined with chicken, onion, and cheese makes a quick and delicious skillet dinner.
- Frozen Pierogi – 1 package (16 ounces)
- Boneless Chicken Breasts (strips of 2 inches)- 1 pound
- Salt- ¼ teaspoon
- Pepper- 1/8 teaspoon
- Butter- 2 tablespoon
- Sweet Onion (thinly sliced)- 1 large
- Cheddar Cheese (shredded)- ½ cup
- Cook Pierogi as per the instructions mentioned on the package and drain.
- Mix salt and pepper in chicken.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high flame. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in it.
- Sauté chicken and onion in the skillet. Remove from the skillet.
- Heat remaining butter in the same skillet. Sauté pierogi till it turns light brown.
- Add chicken mixture to pierogi.
- Sprinkle cheese and cover the skillet.
- Remove from flame.
- Serve when the cheese melts.
4. Turkey Tortillas
Tortillas are simple and easy to make. Make this Sunday dinner with your favorite turkey and tortillas.
- Ground Turkey- 1 ½ pound
- Tortillas- 1 packet
- Black beans (drained and rinsed)- 1 can
- Jarred salsa- 1 can
- Chipotle Chilli in Adobo(chopped)-1
- Adobo Sauce- 1 tablespoon
- Tomatoes (chopped)- 1 large
- Avocado (chopped)- 1
- Radishes(thinly sliced)- 1
- Queso Fresco (crumbled)-1
- Fresh Cilantro leaves
- Sour Cream- 1 cup
- Chili Powder- 1 teaspoon
- Ground Cumin- 1 teaspoon
- Salt- to taste
- Pepper- to taste
- Over an open flame, lightly char all the tortillas.
- Cool them and then tear them into pieces.
- Over a medium-high flame, heat a large skillet.
- Add ground turkey to the skillet and season it with cumin, chili powder, pepper, and salt. Stir, breaking the meat.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until it is lightly browned.
- Add beans, chipotle chile, salsa, and adobo sauce to the turkey and cook till it thickens.
- Add water if you want a bit of sauce—Cook for about 5 minutes after adding water.
- When serving, add tortilla chunks with tomatoes, avocado, radishes, Queso fresco, cilantro leaves, and sour cream fixings.
5. Spinach Stuffed Chicken
Simple and comforting chicken bundle filled with spinach and feta. Serve this with green beans and wild rice.
- Fresh Spinach- 10 cups or 8 ounces
- Skinless Chicken Thighs (boneless)- 2
- Chicken Seasoning- ½ teaspoon
- Feta Cheese (crumbled)- 3 tablespoons
- Cider Vinegar- 1 ½ teaspoon
- Sugar- ½ teaspoon
- Pepper- 1/8 teaspoon
- Olive Oil- 1 teaspoon
- Chicken broth (reduced-sodium)- ¾ cup
- Butter- 1 teaspoon
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- On a medium-high flame, heat a large skillet. Add spinach and cook till they wilt.
- Add in sugar, vinegar, and pepper. Lower the flame to cool slightly.
- Flatten the chicken thighs with a mallet. Sprinkle chicken seasonings on them.
- Cover the chicken with spinach mixture with cheese.
- Roll and secure the chicken with kitchen string.
- Over medium-high flame, heat oil in an ovenproof skillet.
- Add chicken and cook till it turns brown.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Roast for 13 to 15 minutes till the thermometer inserted in the chicken shows 170 degrees.
- Take out the pan. Transfer the chicken to a dish.
- On a medium-high flame, heat butter and broth in a skillet till it comes to a boil.
- Cook till the broth thickens.
- Add the broth to the chicken and serve.
6. Root vegetables With Salmon
This delicious and full of protein dish is a popular and healthy Sunday dinner recipes.
- Sweet Potatoes(peeled and cut in cubes)- 2 medium size
- Salmon fillet (6 ounces each)- 6
- Red potato (cut in cubes)- 2 medium
- Turnip (peeled and diced)- 2 medium
- Carrot (peeled and diced)- 2 medium
- Olive Oil- 2 tablespoons
- Sea salt- 1 teaspoon
- Chili powder- 1 teaspoon
- Pepper- ¾ teaspoon
- Ground Cinnamon- ½ teaspoon
- Preheat your over to 400 degrees.
- Over medium-high flame,, heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add all the vegetables to it.
- Sprinkle chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, cumin, and cinnamon on the vegetables. Cook and stir for 15 to 20 minutes till the vegetables turn tender.
- Place the salmon with its skin down in a foil-lined baking pan. Sprinkle pepper and salt over it.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Broil the fish in it for 2 to 5 minutes till it starts to flake.
- Serve vegetables with salmon.
7. Chicken With Red Wine Sauce
Chicken with red wine sauce is a special yet simple dish to cook for Sunday dinner.
- Chicken breast halves (boneless and skinless)- 4 (8 ounces each)
- Dry Red Wine- 2/3 cup
- Salt- ¼ teaspoon
- Pepper- ¼ teaspoon
- Butter- 7 tablespoons
- Sugar- 1 tablespoon
- Pitted dark cherries- ½ cup
- Preheat your over to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle pepper and salt on the chicken.
- On a medium-high flame, heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large ovenproof skillet or pan.
- Add chicken to the butter and cook till it turns brown.
- Bake the chicken for 12 to 15 minutes till the thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- Keep a saucepan on flame and add sugar and wine to it. Bring them to a boil.
- Reduce the wine to half.
- Lower the flame and add the remaining butter. Whisk well to blend completely.
- Add cherries—switch of the flame.
- Serve this sauce with chicken.
8. Sweet Onion with Turkey Sausage Spaghetti
Add rich flavor to your wholesome pasta dish with sweet onion and turkey sausages. This dish is perfect for a quick and delicious Sunday meal.
- Whole wheat spaghetti- 6 ounces
- Italian Turkey Sausages links with casings removed- ¾ pound
- Sweet onion (thinly sliced)-1
- Olive Oil- 2 teaspoons
- Cherry Tomatoes (halved)- 1 pint
- Fresh basil leaves (thinly sliced)- ½ cup
- Half-and-half cream- ½ cup
- Parmesan cheese (shaved)- optional
- Cook spaghetti as per the directions mentioned on the package. Drain and keep aside.
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a large skillet.
- Cook sausages in the skillet for 5 minutes.
- Add onions and cook for 8 to 10 minutes till onions turn tender and meat is not pink.
- Add basil and tomatoes. Stir for some time.
- Add cream and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Toss spaghetti in the mixture.
- Garnish with cheese when serving.
9. Peppery Flavoured Turkey Tenderloin
Cook this full-flavored turkey tenderloin in a rich sauce for a snug Sunday dinner.
- Turkey breast Tenderloins- 2 pounds
- Apple Juice- 1 cup
- Green Onions (chopped)- 3
- Fresh Parsley (chopped)- 3 tablespoons
- Olive oil- 6 teaspoons
- Garlic (finely chopped)- 1 tablespoon
- Dried rosemary (crushed)- ¾ spoon
- Dried Thyme- ¾ spoon
- Ground pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Salt- ¾ teaspoon
- Corn-starch- 4 teaspoons
- Chicken broth (reduced- sodium)- 1 cup
- Pat dry and flatten the tenderloins.
- Take a bowl and combine apple juice, parsley, onions, garlic, 4 teaspoon oil, thyme, and rosemary to marinate.
- Pour ¾ cup of marinade in a shallow dish with turkey and coat. Cover the dish.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Refrigerate the remaining marinade too.
- Drain the turkey.
- Sprinkle pepper and ½ teaspoon salt on turkey.
- On medium flame,, heat a large skillet and cook the turkey for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Take a small bowl. Add cornstarch, remaining marinade, broth, and remaining salt. Mix till a smooth paste is formed.
- Heat a skillet on medium flame. Add the corn-starch mixture and cook till it boils and thickens.
- Slice the turkey and serve with sauce.
10. Pork Chops with Mushrooms
This quick-to-make delicious recipe of mushrooms with pork chops is a unique recipe for your special Sunday dinner.
- Boneless pork loin chops – 4 (6 ounces each)
- Fresh Mushrooms (sliced)- ¾ pound
- Salt- ¾ teaspoons
- White pepper- 1/8 teaspoon
- Butter- 3 teaspoons
- Chicken broth (reduced sodium)- ½ cup
- Dried Tarragon- ½ teaspoon
- Sprinkle pepper and salt on pork.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of butter in a large skillet.
- Add pork chops and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Heat remaining butter in the same skillet.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 6 to 8 minutes till they are tender.
- Add broth, tarragon, and salt and bring to boil. Cook till reduced to half.
- Add the chops and cook.
11. Shrimp with Warm Coleslaw
German-style coleslaw with shrimp is an easy and tasty dinner recipe for Sunday nights.
- Bacon strips- 6
- Shrimp (peeled and deveined)- 1 pound
- Canola oil- 2 tablespoons
- Green cabbage (shredded)- 3 cups
- Carrot (shredded)- ½ cup
- Red Cabbage (shredded)-1 cup
- Green onion(finely chopped)- 6
- Fresh parsley (minced)- 3 tablespoons
- Dried tarragon- 2 teaspoons
- Pepper- 1/8 teaspoon
- Salt- ¼ teaspoon
- Red Wine vinegar- ¼ cup
- Cooked rice- 3 cups
- Cook bacon till crisp in a skillet over medium heat.
- Remove from pan and keep on paper towel to drain. Crumble the bacon.
- Keep 2 tablespoons of drippings and discard the rest.
- In the same skillet,, heat 1 tablespoon of oil with 1 tablespoon of drippings. Add carrot and cabbages and stir till vegetables turn tender.
- Take out in a bowl.
- Add parsley, green onions, tarragon, pepper, and salt, and toss with vinegar.
- To the skillet, add the remaining oil and drippings.
- Add shrimp and cook till it turns pink.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve rice in a bowl with coleslaw. Top with shrimp and crumbled bacon.
12. Spiced Salmon
Looking for an easy Sunday meal idea? Prepare this delicious and moist fish in a jiffy for your family.
- Salmon Fillet- 1 (2 pounds)
- Brown sugar- 2 tablespoons
- Soy sauce- 1 tablespoon
- Butter (melted)- 1 tablespoon
- Olive Oil-1 tablespoon
- Garlic powder- ½ teaspoon
- Ground Mustard – ½ teaspoon
- Paprika-1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper- ½ teaspoon
- Dill weed- ¼ teaspoon
- Salt- to taste
- Dried Tarragon- a pinch
- Cayenne powder- a pinch
- Mix all spices and ingredients except salmon in a bowl.
- Brush them over the salmon.
- Keep the salmon on an oiled grill rack. Cover it.
- Grill it for 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat till it begins to flake.
- Serve warm.
Make your Sunday dinners special by cooking any of these family-friendly dishes. Relax and wind up your week with your family over a delicious meal.