Green lentil stew
|Serves||Preparation Time||Cooking Time|
|3 People||10 Minutes||16 Minutes|
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils
- 2 tbsp (tablespoons) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup celery leaves, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 3/4 cup carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 pound parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tsp (teaspoon) salt
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- unrefined extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- balsamic vinegar, to serve
Pour the lentils into a large mixing bowl.
Add warm water until you cover it by 2 inches and stir in vinegar.
Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel.
Leave it in a warm spot in your kitchen for 8 to 12 hours.
Drain the lentils and rinse them well.
Melt the ghee in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
Toss the onions into the ghee, and cook them until fragrant and translucent.
Add celery, carrots and parsnips.
Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and cover the pot.
Allow to sweat for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in lentils, vegetable stock, chili pepper and bay leaves.
Simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 35minutes until lentils are tender.
Pluck out the chili pepper and bay leaves.
Turn off the heat, and stir in mustard greens.
Cover and allow the greens to wilt in the residual heat of the lentils for about 5 minutes.
Serve hot with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Serving Size: 1 serving (370.5 g)
|Calories||160||Calories from Fat||65|
|Total Fat||6 g 10%||Saturated Fat||3.1g 50%|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g||Cholesterol||1.1 mg 0.5%|
|Sodium||560 mg 23%||Potassium||800 mg 23%|
|Total Carbohydrate||25.3 g 8%||Dietary Fiber||10.3 g 41%|
|Sugars||8.0 g||Protein||7.3 g|
|Vitamin A||146%||Vitamin C||50%|
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet