Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.
Parenting in the Times of the Coronavirus Pandemic
The coronavirus pandemic is impacting our lives like never before. People have to maintain social distance. There is also the case of multiple lockdowns. Children are not able to go to schools, and they are stuck at home with no friends around. They cannot go out to play or have fun.
During this time, children are scared and confused. They are anxious and curious at the same time. The way the coronavirus is spreading, it is making the children fearful and restless.
Here are some parenting tips that can help you care for your kids during this global pandemic.
- Try to make the children understand the complexities of this situation. We should make our children understand in an age-appropriate way. There is no need to give them an overload of information about this situation, but it is necessary to state the facts. Encourage them to share their feelings with you. Do not forget to comfort and reassure them.
- Empower your children by educating them about safety measures and precautions such as washing their hands for 20 seconds before meals, after coughing and sneezing, and after using the washroom. Ask them to wear masks, maintain social distance, and stay at home.
- Make a schedule and follow it. A daily routine keeps children focused as they function better in a structured and organised environment. Create a plan for structured activities, free time, as well as family time. Take your child’s help in making this timetable. Take out some time for exercise too, as physical activity helps in reducing stress and also helps to channel their energy.
- As a parent, you have to juggle between different roles. You have to take the role of a teacher, an advisor, a guide, a counsellor, a friend, and a parent. You have to focus on housework as well as office work. Try playing with your kids. Talk to your kids about how they spend their day. Encourage them to behave properly and reward them for their good behaviour. This will boost your child’s self-esteem. Parents should take time out for themselves and getting proper sleep, eating healthy, exercising daily, and enjoying some me-time. Take help whenever necessary.
- Parents also have to play a role in their child’s online education. For this, the parents should be acquainted with the school’s online resources. Parents should ensure that their kids are effectively engaged in educational activities. It is the perfect time for children to develop their reading and writing habits. They can write their own essays or blogs. They can start working on some research activity or work on some projects of their choice. Parents and children should work towards establishing a learning portfolio that the child is passionate about.
- Keeping track of your children’s screen time is essential right now. This will help you know the amount of time they are spending in front of screens. Ask your children to manage and set goals for the screen use. Model healthy screen use by letting them write stories, articles and blogs, reading online books, and study materials when they’re using a gadget. Participating in online competitions and watching videos related to studies is also an excellent way to practice healthy use of technology.
Be kind and forgiving to yourself. Show love and affection towards your kids. Provide reassurance that together as a family, you will soon get out of this. Make your children feel safe and cared for.