Any food with poor nutritional worth i.e low in minerals, vitamins and other essential nutrients and high on harmful ingredients is termed JUNK FOOD.
It is made appetizing by use of additives, flavour enhancers, high sugar and lots of fat.
We cannot strictly ban such foods as it would only increase its appeal to the child. Instead we should help children to limit its consumption and be selective about it.
Few Ways To Help Your Child To Select His Food
1. Spin a Tale
I always observe that it is attention grabbing names that add to their appeal. Cool names if given to dishes can attract and get your child to eat more of the good stuff.
Ex: Tasty treetops (brocolli)
Power punch (spinach)
20/20 vision ( carrots) and many more names of your choice.
2. Eating Out
Dining out with your kids can be quiet demanding as it gets difficult to balance the nutrients. To overcome this problem, even if the restaurant has kids menu do not go for it as it has higher fat content combined with low quantity of healthy nutrients.
Following are The Options Which Can Help
1. Tandoori Meal
- This kind of MEAL is healthier than one with deep fried foods as long as you avoid burnt portions.
- Request the chef to skip basting with oil after cooking.
- Opt for plain roti or missi roti rather than naam,rumali or sheermal.
- Tandoori sweet potato,pineapple,beetroot,mushrooms or potatoes are great starters.
2. Italian Meal
- Go for whole wheat grain pasta and be mindful about the sauces and dressing.
- The healthier italian salad dressings are those with balsamic vinegar,basil,pepper,lemon juice and olive oil. Go for these.
3. Chinese/Japanese Meal
- Avoid popular starters and go for steamed dumplings.
- Good choices would be clear soups like sweet corn,mix veggie,carrot bean etc..
- Opt for steamed rice rather than fried rice.
- Try whole wheat noodles instead of regular ones.
- If going for non veg make sure you add lots of veggies to your MEAL.
4. Thai Meal
- Raw papaya salad is a great choice to start a THAI MEAL.
- Dishes that are labelled crispy or crunchy indicate that they are deep fried, skip them.
Transforming Junk to Joy
4. French Fries
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.