Last Updated on
Aliv Dates Karadantu is a traditional healthy & nutritious sweet. It is a winter delicacy & is specially made for the new moms. It is rich in iron, calcium, vitamin C, E, A, proteins, and folic acid. This sweet provides warmth to the body. Though they are usually made for lactating mothers, people of all age groups can enjoy this winter treat.
There are many methods of making this sweet. I am sharing my mom’s recipe, which I relished when I was a first-time mom.
- Aliv seeds/ Garden cress seeds – 2 tbsp
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1/4 cup
- Edible gum /dinka – 1/4 cup
- Black Dry Dates, finely chopped – 1 cup
- Dry coconut – 1/2 cup
- Almonds, chopped – 1/2 cup
- Cashew seeds (kyar beej) – 1tsp
- Cashew nuts, chopped – 1/4 cup
- Pistachios, chopped – 2tbsp
- Dry Figs (anjeer), chopped – 1/4 cup
- Raisins – 2 tbsp
- Walnuts, chopped – 2tbsp
- Poppy seeds – 1 tbsp
- Nutmeg powder – 1 tsp
- Cardamom powder -1 tsp
Method of Preparation:
- Heat the kadai, add 1/4 cup of ghee and roast the edible gum on low flame till it puffs up and turns slightly golden in colour. Then, remove it in a bowl & crush it with hands. Let it cool down a bit if it is hot to touch.
- In the same kadai, add chopped dry dates and roast them for about 2 to 3 mins. Then, grind it with chopped dry coconut.
- Again, in the same kadai, add aliv seeds and roast them till they turn slightly dark in colour. Remove it in a plate and keep it aside.
- Now, heat jaggery in the same kadai. Let it melt and then boil it on medium flame till you get a 1-string consistency (do not add water).
- Now, take another pan and dry roast the poppy seeds for 2 mins.
- Add all the chopped dried fruits, nuts, ground dry coconut and dates, crushed edible gum, poppy seeds, and aliv seeds.
- Now add nutmeg powder and cardamom powder to enhance the taste.
- Make medium-sized ladoos or barfi.
- Serve one or two ladoos or barfi with milk as breakfast or evening snack.
The recipe is an energy-boosting recipe and can provide much-needed nutrition and calories to new moms.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.