Sattu Apple Porridge Recipe
Sattu is a popular home-made health mix powder made from cereals, pulses, and nuts. Made by dry-roasting Bengal gram in sand and then grinding it to a powder, there are also some variants where chickpea is mixed to give it a distinct flavor. It is a multi-grain powder that combines the goodness of pulses and nuts to give the right proportions of nutrition to your baby. This easy Sattu Apple Porridge recipe for babies is something that you can make at home and feed your baby as they make their foray into eating solid foods.
Gas, Blender, Mixer or Hand Blender
Type of Meal
Weaning babies older than 10 months of age
Breakfast or mid-day meal.
Breakfast or Snack
|Sattu powder||2-3 tablespoon|
|Apple peeled and chopped||1|
This step-by-step instructions will give you an idea on how to make Sattu Apple Porridge:
- Rinse the apple in cold water. Peel and chop them into tiny pieces.
- Boil it in water until they are cooked and soft. Once done, drain the water and puree the apple into a fine paste or puree in a mixer or hand blender.
- Take another bowl and add the sattu mix. Pour some water and mix the sattu into a fine paste. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Cook this paste on the gas on a low flame for about 3-5 minutes. Make sure to stir continuously so that the mixture does not stick to the sides of the pan.
- Once done, add the pureed apples to the mixture. Give it a good stir until the apple puree blends in well with the sattu mix. Stir for about 3 minutes on a low flame.
- Turn off the gas and serve it hot or lukewarm.
You need to follow these tips for the perfect homemade Sattu Apple Porridge baby food recipe:
- The sattu powder should be first mixed in cold water and made into a thick paste without any lumps. Do not mix it in hot water as it will not dissolve.
- Puree the apples well after boiling them. You can also cook the apples in a pressure cooker to make sure they are cooked well.
- Cook the sattu on a low flame for a few minutes as it will take a long time to cook. There is no harm even if you overcook it.
Nutrition Information (Per 100 Grams)
|Vitamin C||1 mg|
One cannot simply negate or overlook the health benefits of this Sattu Apple Porridge for toddlers. It makes for a great weaning food and below are some of the health benefits:
- Sattu is full of fiber because it is made of pulses, nuts and cereals. It is therefore good for bowel movements in babies.
- Sattu is also full of carbohydrates and helps to increase energy levels.
- Sattu is full of protein as it is made from dals and are good for the healthy growth of the body.
- Apple contains Vitamin A and Vitamin C which helps to strengthen bones and teeth.
- Apples are also full of antioxidants and help to restore the immunity levels of the body.
A few things to bear in mind while buying ingredients for Sattu Apple Porridge:
- Buy sattu in sealed packs and check the expiry date before use.
- It is advisable to buy organic sattu powder as it will be free from chemicals and pesticides.
- Apples must be ripe and juicy. Buy organic apples as they are made with natural ingredients and also free from additives and chemicals.
Sattu Apple Porridge is a great recipe for your baby as they start their journey into solid foods. A great food that includes the goodness of pulses and fruits, your baby will definitely adapt to the subtle taste and will long for it eventually. Porridge is a common food that is served to babies weaning away from breast milk and it is a perfect supplement to the richness offered by breast milk. Try this Sattu Apple Porridge recipe and do let us know how did your welcome the dish.