Potato Sabzi Recipe
Potatoes are considered to be one of the most nutritious vegetables for babies. They can be introduced into a six-month-old baby’s diet. They can offer ample energy to your growing baby and contribute to their healthy weight gain. Children love their soft, buttery texture and usually relish all potato dishes. Today, we will tell you how to make potato sabzi for your baby. It is easy to digest and loaded with essential minerals and vitamins, potato sabzi is the perfect dish that can be included in their child’s daily diet. Learn how to make potato sabzi in no time.
Type of Meal
Babies older than 11 months of age
Lunch or dinner
|Onions (medium-sized, sliced)
|As per taste
|1 ¼ tsp
The step by step directions given below will guide you to dish out the tastiest potato sabzi:
- Wash potatoes and pressure cook them for 3 whistles. Once they cool, peel their skin and cut them into small cubes and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the bay leaf, cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds crackle, add sliced onions and fry until soft. Add the ginger-garlic paste and chopped tomatoes. Sauté for 2 minutes and until the tomatoes turn mushy and oil separates.
- Sprinkle some turmeric powder, salt, and coriander powder and stir everything well for another 2 minutes.
- As soon as the masala turns aromatic, throw in the potato cubes in the pan. Add little water and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook the sabzi on low flame for about 10 minutes.
- Check with a fork if the potatoes are tender. Add lemon juice and garam masala on top.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve warm in a bowl.
Follow the above tips to make sure that you cook delicious potato sabzi.
- If your child is older, you can make it spicy, i.e., if your child likes spicy food. You can add red chilli powder or green chillies for older children.
- You can add curry leaves or kasuri methi to enhance the taste of this dish.
- This homemade potato sabzi baby food recipe can be served with steamed rice, chapatis, parathas, or even dosa.
- Make sure you sterilize all utensils and maintain hygiene before preparing food for your baby.
- Check with your paediatrician before introducing solids to your baby.
- Adding curry powder gives this dish an added flavour.
Nutrition Information (Per Serving)
Power-packed with nutrition, potato sabzi is a wholesome food that ensures that your child develops healthy eating habits.
- Potato is a popular edible tuber that causes the least allergenic reactions in children. Due to the presence of carbohydrates, any potato dish is highly satiating and will keep your child energetic all day long.
- The presence of a substantial amount of alkaline sugar in potatoes keeps acidity at bay, protects the liver, protects the skin, improves gastronomical health, and supplies essential vitamins and minerals that are needed for a baby’s growth.
- Red fleshed potatoes contain antioxidants like anthocyanins that fight various diseases and keep infections at bay.
Keep the necessary information provided by this buying guide in mind before choosing any product needed to make this dish.
- Opt for organically grown potatoes if available easily.
- Check the best before date before buying a branded pack of dry masala from a supermarket.
- Look for the ingredient label before buying any branded edible oil.
For a child, moms are the best cooks. Hence homemade potato sabzi for babies tastes delicious when cooked with a mother’s love and care. This scrumptious potato sabzi recipe can be served to kids as well as your entire family. So go ahead and make this delicious potato sabzi for your loved ones!