In this Article
Last Updated on
Oats are a wholesome cereal with tonnes of nutritional elements. This Oats porridge for babies can be used for babies as young as 6 months as it is very easy on the digestive system. It is a twist on the more common porridge which is generally sweet in nature. This one has vegetables, which will add their own flavour, punch and health benefits. This is a really cool way to sneak in vegetables for a fussy child. Oats do not take a whole lot of time to cook so apart from the time taken in cutting the veggies; this porridge can be done in a jiffy. This is a filling dish which is good to go for breakfast or lunch as a main dish. Oats is one of the easily digestible foods for people of all ages. It will be light on the stomach but still keeps your baby full for a longer time. All the goodness in oats will help in proper growth of your little one.
Gas stove, pressure cooker & blender
Type of Meal
Any baby above 7 months of age
|Ingredients||Quantity and Volume|
|Oats powder||½ cup|
|Cumin powder||1/8 tsp|
|Garlic||2-3 small cloves|
|Vegetables of your choice (Carrot, beans, cauliflower, peas, broccoli)||¾ cup – finely chopped|
|Milk||¼ cup (optional)|
|Ghee/coconut milk||1 tbsp|
|Salt||As per taste (not for kids below 1 year)|
These are the detailed step by step procedure to prepare Oats porridge.
- Wash the vegetables thoroughly and chop them into bite-size pieces.
- Dry roast the oats in a pressure cooker till it gives out aroma.
- Add the vegetables and cook for a few seconds.
- Add garlic and cumin powder and stir well.
- Add water and salt. Do not add salt if the child is below 1 year of age.
- Add ghee and after mixing, close the pressure cooker lid.
- On medium flame cook the whole thing for 2 whistles.
- Set aside the pressure cooker to cool down.
- Once the pressure from the cooker is released, open the cooker and mash the whole mix with a potato masher. If your child is not chewing as yet, then you could use blender as well.
- You could add milk at this point if the porridge is still thick.
- Yummy oats porridge is ready to be served.
This is an easy Oats porridge recipe which has a lot of nutrition and will make a delicious addition to your recipes for your tiny tot:
- Add cow’s milk only for kids above 1 year, for the younger ones use formula milk, breast milk or coconut milk. You could omit milk as well as it is optional.
- You could also use steel cut oats as they are non-GMO.
- To get the most out of oats, you could soak them overnight and then sprout them for a day. Then you can grind and preserve them in an airtight container in the fridge and can use them as and when needed.
- Vegetables can vary based on your choice and what is available seasonally.
Nutrition Information (Per Cup)
* Percent daily value is based on 2000 cal diet
This home-made Oats porridge baby food recipe is a salty version of the regular sweet porridge and contains the goodness of vegetables packed in them.
- Oats have a lot of fibre which aids digestion.
- They are a great source of beta-glucan which builds immunity.
- They are rich in vitamins and minerals which are essential for a child’s body and brain.
- Oats have avenanthramide which is a unique antioxidant and has the capacity to protect against heart diseases.
- Try to buy organic as much as possible as giving inorganic stuff to your precious child can wreak havoc on their delicate systems.
- Make sure the vegetables are fresh.
Hope this step by step procedure of how to make Oats porridge for a baby was clear and easy and it would be the next thing you would want to try for your munchkin!