60 Easy and Popular Tongue Twisters for Kids
Funny tongue twisters for kids have been around for generations. Those seemingly gibberish-sounding sentences are not only fun, but they also help you speak better. They boost your repertoire of exciting and fun-sounding words and make a good public orator out of you. Plus, who does not like to have fun with friends and family by challenging them with words? Whether you are in school, park, or out with friends or cousins, a game of fun tongue twisters will surely give you a lifelong memory to cherish. Politicians, actors, and news anchors also happen to use tongue twisters before going on air to stretch their mouths and perfect their speech. There are plenty of easy-to-memorise tongue twisters to downright impossible ones to test your speaking skills. Here’s our lowdown on some popular tongue twisters, and why you and your kids should recite them together. Don’t worry if you don’t begin very well; with enough practice, these will come totally easy to you!
What Are Tongue Twisters?
In reality, tongue twisters are phrases, which have similar sounding words in a repetitive sequence. They aid language development, boost vocabulary, and are a lot of fun when recited together in a group.
What Are the Different Types of Tongue Twisters?
Depending on the age, tongue twisters have been categorised into different types. These include short tongue twisters for children, long tongue twisters for kids, funny tongue twisters for little ones, popular tongue twisters for lil champs, and easy tongue twisters for kids. With age, you can progress with learning short and easy to long and difficult tongue twisters to enhance your speech and vocabulary well.
Benefits of Tongue Twisters for Young Kids
Kids begin to develop their speech and diction at a young age, and tongue twisters can help them stretch the muscles that are necessary for speech. This helps them develop clear pronunciation and speech patterns.
Tongue Twisters for Children to Recite
Don’t make your child recite tongue twisters, alone. Multiply the fun by participating in a group. Here are our 20 best tongue twisters in English for kids, which will give you a real challenge.
1. I Scream
I scream, you scream, we all scream, for ice cream!
2. Peter Piper
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
Where’s the peck of pickled peppers that Peter Piper picked?
3. Betty Botter
Betty Botter bought a bit of butter.
“But,” she said, “this bit of butter’s bitter,
But a bit of better butter mixed with this butter might just make my bit of bitter butter better.”
So, Betty bought a bit of better butter to make her bitter butter better.
4. Susie Shine
I saw Susie sitting in a shoe shine shop.
Where she shines, she sits, and where she sits, she shines.
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if the woodchuck could chuck wood?
He would chuck, he would, as much as he could,
And chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would,
If a woodchuck could chuck wood.
6. Doctor Doctor
If one doctor doctors another doctor,
Then which doctor is doctoring the doctored doctor?
Does the doctor who doctors the doctor, doctor the doctor the way the doctor he is doctoring doctors?
Or does he doctor the doctor the way the doctor who doctors doctors?
7. Thought A Thought
I thought a thought,
But the thought I thought wasn’t the thought I thought I thought.
If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought,
I wouldn’t have thought so much.
8. Fuzzy Wuzzy
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear,
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair,
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn’t very fuzzy, was he?
9. She Sells
She sells sea shells by the seashore
And the shells she sells by the seashore are sea shells for sure.
10. All I Want is a Proper Cup of Coffee
All I want is a proper cup of coffee,
Made in a proper copper coffee pot
I may be off my dot
But I want a cup of coffee
From a proper coffee pot.
Tin coffee pots and iron coffee pots
They’re no use to me –
If I can’t have a proper cup of coffee
In a proper copper coffee pot
I’ll have a cup of tea.
11. Bleeding Boys
Brave, bleeding boys battle bald, biting babies
Biting babies ride battle toys while bumbling boys brave bald biting babies.
12. Denise Sees
Denise sees the fleece,
Denise sees the fleas.
At least Denise could sneeze
And feed and freeze the fleas.
13. Dark Dock
To sit in solemn silence in a dull, dark dock,
In a pestilential prison, with a life-long lock,
Awaiting the sensation of a short, sharp shock,
From a cheap and chippy chopper on a big black block!
14. Luke Luck
Luke Luck likes lakes.
Luke’s duck likes lakes.
Luke Luck licks lakes.
Luke’s duck licks lakes.
Duck takes licks in lakes Luke Luck likes.
Luke Luck takes licks in lakes duck likes.
15. Cheese Trees
Through three cheese trees three free fleas flew
While these fleas flew, freezy breeze blew
Freezy breeze made these three trees freeze
Freezy trees made these trees’ cheese freeze
That’s what made these three free fleas sneeze
16. Black and Brown Background
Black background, brown background,
Brown background, black background,
Background background, black, black, brown, brown.
17. Why Willy?!
Why do you cry, Willy?
Why, why, why?!
Why do you cry?
Willy cry, why you cry, Willy?
18. Ned Nott and Sam Shott
Ned Nott was shot and Sam Shott was not.
So it is better to be Shott than Nott.
Some say Nott was not shot.
But Shott says he shot Nott.
Either the shot Shott shot at Nott was not shot,
Or Nott was shot.
If the shot Shott shot shot Nott, Nott was shot.
But if the shot Shott shot shot Shott,
Then Shott was shot, not Nott.
However, the shot Shott shot shot not Shott, but Nott.
19. Butter And Jelly
Yellow butter, purple jelly, red jam, black bread.
Spread it thick, say it quick!
Yellow butter, purple jelly, red jam, black bread,
Spread it thicker, say it quicker!
Yellow butter, purple jelly, red jam, black bread.
Don’t eat until you are spreading it like a spread!
20. Chester Cheetah
Chester cheetah chews a chunk of cheap cheddar cheese
If the chunk of cheese chunked Chester cheetah,
What would Chester cheetah chew and chunk on?
Short Tongue Twisters for Children
Here are some short tongue twisters for kids that are easy to recite and perfect for beginners.
- Six slippery snails slid slowly seaward.
- Zebras zig and zebras zag.
- Irish wristwatch.
- Red lorry, yellow lorry.
- Selfish Shellfish.
- Toy boat. Try boat. Toy boat. Try boat.
- Kitty caught the kitten in the kitchen.
- Greek grapes, Greek grapes, Greek grapes.
- Fred fed Ted bread and Ted fed Fred bread.
- Bad money, mad bunny.
Long Tongue Twisters for Kids
How about going to the next level with something longer and fun tongue twisters?
- Fresh fried fish, fish fresh fried, fried fish fresh, fish fried fresh.
- Fox on clocks on bricks and blocks. Bricks and blocks on Knox on box.
- No needs to light a night light On a light night like tonight.
- If a dog chews shoes, whose shoes does he choose?
- Why do you cry, Willy? Why, Willy? Why why why? Why do you cry? Willy, Willy! Willy cry, why you cry, Willy?
- I slit a sheet, a sheet I slit. Upon the slitted sheet, I sit.
- If you must cross a course cross cow across a crowded cow crossing, cross the cross coarse cow across the crowded cow crossing carefully.
- Whether the weather is warm, whether the weather is hot, we have to put up with the weather, whether we like it or not.
- If practice makes perfect and perfect needs practice, I’m perfectly practised and practically perfect.
- Imagine an imaginary menagerie manager managing an imaginary menagerie.
Funny Tongue Twisters for Children
For ultimate fun in practising tongue twisters, nothing could be better than these funny tongue twisters. Let’s take a look and laugh, shall we?
- A tutor who tooted the flute tried to tutor two tooters to toot.
Said the two to the tutor, “Is it harder to toot or to tutor two tooters to toot?”
- If you want to buy, buy, if you don’t want to buy, bye bye!
- An ape hates grape cakes.
- I have got a date at a quarter to eight; I’ll see you at the gate, so don’t be late.
- Any noise annoys an oyster, but a noisy noise annoys an oyster more.
- Picky people pick Peter Pan Peanut-Butter, ’tis the peanut-butter picky people pick.
- Birdie birdie in the sky laid a turdie in my eye.
- If two witches would watch two watches, which witch would watch which watch?
- .A sailor went to sea to see what he could see. And all he could see was sea, sea, sea.
- A synonym for cinnamon is a cinnamon synonym.
Well Known Tongue Twister for Kids
Regardless of short or hard, there are many popular tongue twisters that have been loved for ages. Here are some of them:
- Sheena leads, Sheila needs.
- Betty bought butter but the butter was bitter, so Betty bought better butter to make the bitter butter better.
- And when they battle in a puddle, it’s a tweetle beetle puddle battle.
- How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
- A big black bug bit a big black bear.
- How can a clam cram in a clean cream can?
- If Stu chews shoes, should Stu choose the shoes he chews?
- How much ground would a groundhog hog if a groundhog could hog ground? A groundhog would hog all the ground he could hog if a groundhog could hog ground.
- Five frantic frogs fled from fifty fierce fishes.
Try out these tongue twisters at home with your kids and see if you can recite them at breakneck speeds. Let us know how it went, by getting in touch with us.
Fun and Clever Riddles for Kids with Answers
English Learning Games and Activities for Kids
Smart Ideas to Teach Kids to Rhyme Words and Sounds
What is Child Speech Therapy?
Speech and Language Delay in Children