Last Updated on
Mooli or Radish is a wholesome root vegetable and has several nutrients that are essential for our body. It can be used to prepare paratha which can be given to babies above six months old. It is easily digestible and safe for babies. Mooli Paratha for babies/toddlers is easy to cook and requires very little time. It is the healthiest food, which can be served to all and can be prepared by wheat flour stuffed with grated mooli or radish, mixed with spices. For this recipe, white radish is used, and it’s quite filling and delicious, which makes IT excellent for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Type of Meal:
Toddlers above 13 months of age
Breakfast, Lunch or dinner
|Ingredients||Quantity and Volume|
|Whole wheat flour||1.5 cups|
|Water||As needed to knead the dough|
|White Radish (Mooli)||One large or two medium-size|
|Cilantro (chopped)||2 tbsp|
|Carom seeds (Ajwain)||1/8 tsp|
|Coriander powder||1/4 tsp|
|Garam masala powder||1/8 tsp|
|Chopped green chilli (optional)||One|
|Oil||As needed to prepare Paratha|
Wondering how to make Mooli Paratha? The recipe is easy and doesn’t require much time to cook. Here are the step by step directions to prepare Mooli Paratha.
- Take 1.5 cups of whole Wheat flour and a teaspoon of oil in a large bowl. Add water slowly till the dough mixes properly.
- Knead it thoroughly to form a soft dough. Transfer it to a container, apply few drops of oil on top, cover it and keep it aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel the radish and then grate it with the help of a grater. Transfer the contents to a bowl and add a small pinch of salt and leave it for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, you can see that radish has released some water. Remove this water and then press the grated radish to remove the water content altogether.
- Transfer the squeezed mooli to another bowl. Add coriander powder, ajwain, chopped cilantro, and garam masala.
- Mix all items thoroughly. The stuffing is ready. Do not add salt now.
- Cut the prepared dough into 5-6 balls equally. Take one dough ball and make into a circle and apply one drop of oil throughout. At the same time, heat the tawa on medium flame.
- Keep approximately two tablespoons of stuffing at the centre and scatter the salt on top of the stuffing. Don’t fill too much, or else it would be tough to roll.
- With the help of a rolling pin, turn the dough into a round shape of approximately 7-8 inches diameter. Dust some flour on it. Apply equal pressure throughout while rolling. The paratha will rotate automatically if you do this way.
- Place the other rolled dough on top of stuffing. Take all the edges together and compress it to close the edges.
- Place the rolled paratha on the hot tawa. Put one spoon of oil and fry for a few minutes. Turn this and apply oil on the other side as well. Press with the help of a spatula and fry on both sides till golden brown spots appear. Follow the same procedure for remaining dough balls.
- Serve this hot and delicious mooli paratha with raita or your choice of dip or chutney.
Ensure that you keep in mind the below mentioned vital points before you start cooking the healthy and simple mooli paratha recipe for your baby.
- Wash the mooli thoroughly and peel off before grating.
- Remove water entirely from grated mooli so that there shouldn’t be additional moisture in the stuffing.
Nutritional Information (Per 100 Grams)
|Dietary fibre||6.9 g|
|Vitamin A||0.024 mg|
|Vitamin B1||0.229 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.127 mg|
|Vitamin C||14.8 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.71 mg|
|Vitamin B9 (folate)||0.035 mg|
Here are few health benefits of home-made mooli paratha baby food recipe:
- Radish is a rich source of various nutrients and minerals, like vitamin E, C, A and B6.
- Radish helps to cure many diseases such as piles, cancer, urinary and respiratory disorders etc.
- It also helps to reduce weight and improves cardiovascular health.
- It is also essential for the proper functioning of the liver and gallbladder.
Few buying tips that you should consider while taking ingredients for making mooli paratha for your baby.
- Purchase organic and best quality products from a well-known store.
- The radish used in the paratha should be fresh and firm.
- Check for the expiry date of wheat flour before purchasing it.
Prepare this superb and delicious recipe for your baby. It tastes excellent, and babies love it.