Methi Puri Recipe
Fenugreek leaves are very nutritious – they a great source of fibre, antioxidants, and Vitamin K. But getting kids to eat methi (or anything bitter) is not easy. If you want to get your child to eat methi, you can’t serve him methi sabzi – you know he will fuss. You will have to find a way to sneak in this healthy leafy vegetable in his diet. How about making methi puris for him? Methi puris taste delicious and are a great breakfast option for toddlers. If you want to know how you can make methi puris for your child, here’s a simple recipe for the same.
Type of Meal
Toddlers older than 15 months of age
Breakfast, Mid Morning Snack, Lunch or Evening Snack.
|Whole wheat flour||¾ cup|
|Carom seeds (optional)||¼ tsp|
|Fenugreek leaves (finely chopped)||½ cup|
|Red chilli powder (optional)||As per taste|
|Salt||As per taste|
|Oil||For deep frying|
Without further ado, find out how you can make methi puris. Follow this step-by-step guide to make yummy puris for your little one.
- In a bowl, take the wheat flour and methi leaves. Add a tablespoon of oil, carom seeds, red chilli powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the curd and slowly knead the dough.
- Cover the dough and keep aside for about 20 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a pan.
- Now take a small lemon-sized ball from the dough.
- Apply a drop or two of oil in your palms and then take the ball.
- Roll out the ball using a rolling pin to make a 3-4 inch circle.
- Fry the puri in the hot oil until it turns golden brown.
- Keep the puri on a plate lined with tissue paper so that it soaks the extra oil.
- Follow the above steps to make more puris and serve.
Note the following points while making methi puris for your little munchkin.
- Before you use methi leaves, wash them properly.
- Check the temperature of the oil before you fry the puris. The oil should be hot enough for puris to turn golden brown and soft. Check the temperature of the oil by putting a very small piece of dough. If the piece rises as soon as it is put, you are good to go.
Nutrition Information (Per 100 Grams)
|Dietary Fibre||16 grams|
|Vitamin K||6 mg|
Here are some benefits of methi puris for a child.
- Fenugreek leaves are a rich source of Vitamin K, antioxidants and fibre. It is always good to include green leafy vegetables in your child’s diet.
- The fibre content in methi puris will improve your child’s bowel movements and help with the digestion of food.
- Adding curd in methi puris will provide your child with protein.
- Methi puri is also a good source of carbohydrates which will keep your child energetic.
- Buy methi from vendors who sell organic produce.
- While buying the wheat flour from a store, do check the expiry date of the packet.
Methi puris are very easy-to-make. Go ahead and try this recipe and serve something different to your child. We’re sure your child will enjoy eating them and ask for more. Let him enjoy puris in moderate amounts and don’t give in if he asks for more as over-consumption of methi puris can lead to stomach troubles.