Juice Fasting – Should You Try It?
Juice fasting is also known as juice cleansing. A juice cleanse can help you get rid of harmful toxins from your body and provide your body with vitamins, enzymes, antioxidants, and other essential nutrients.
What Is Juice Fasting?
Juice fasting or juice cleanse has become popular in recent years. Many people are opting for a juice cleanse in order to lose weight. When a person drinks juices of fruits and vegetables instead of the usual solid food for a time period of 3-10 days, he is on a detox diet or on a juice fast. This diet helps detox the body.
Health Benefits of Juice Fasting
Listed below are some of the health benefits of juice fasting.
- The digestive system in our body gets time to recuperate from all the unhealthy eating that we do. Drinking juices cleanses the system, and as a result, all the toxins in the body get eliminated.
- It helps you lose weight rapidly in a healthy manner since you get all the necessary nutrients that your body requires through the juices.
- The elimination of toxins from the body takes away the lethargy, and you feel charged up once again.
- Routine juice fasting may help in curing chronic diseases that are caused due to unhealthy eating and poor lifestyle. Toxins in the bloodstream may even cause nasal congestion but the phytonutrients in the juices help get rid of the toxins from the body.
- The goodness of nutrients in the fresh juices can clean your entire system which results in glowing skin. Water retention is a result of excess sodium in the body. Taking juices which are high on potassium helps in eliminating the sodium from your body.
How to Do Juice Fasting
Here are the ways in which you should do juice fasting.
- As soon as you wake up, drink two glasses of lukewarm water. You could also add a dash of lime and a spoon of honey. This will help clear the bowels.
- Prepare fresh juice. In case of leftovers, keep it in airtight jars in the refrigerator.
- Drink as many times as you want to or whenever you feel hungry.
- Keep your body hydrated and to make the elimination of toxins smooth, drink plenty of water throughout the fasting period. You may even drink a few cups of herbal tea.
- Do some light exercises, yoga, and deep breathing exercises like pranayama.
- Take an afternoon nap to store your energy.
- Continue the entire procedure for the next two days (or more number of days). Do not get deterred from your goal and get tempted by the food around you.
A Sample 3-Day Juice Fasting Plan
Here is a systematic and routine-wise representation of what and when to drink. You may change the juices according to your choice. However, be sure to include a variety of fruit and vegetable juices so that your body gets all the necessary nutrients, minerals, and vitamins.
|Time of The Day||What to Drink|
|When you wake up||2 glasses of lukewarm water or lukewarm water with a splash of lime or lemon juice|
|8:00-9:00 am||A glass of orange juice/beetroot juice/spinach-kale-cucumber/green apple juice|
|10:30-11:30 am||Coconut water/a bowl of vegetable soup/smoothie with strawberries and apple slices/ Smoothie of leafy greens like lettuce and cabbage|
|1:00-2:00 pm||Kale-watermelon juice/Kale-pineapple juice/Apple-carrot-celery juice|
|3:00-4:00 pm||Sweet lime juice/peach-orange-apple-lettuce juice|
|5:00-6:00 pm||Herbal tea|
|7:00-8:00 pm||Spinach soup/almond or cashew nut milk|
|9:30 pm||Herbal tea|
What Type of Juices Should You Consider for Juice Fasting?
It is important that at least fifty per cent of the juices consumed should come from green vegetables. Remember not to drink too much of fruit juices as fruit juices can increase your sugar levels. Try and stick to low-sugar fruit juices like grapefruit juice, green apple juice, and berry juice. You may also include lots of lemon and lime since they are low on sugar and will leave you feeling fresh and your stomach cool.
Side Effects of Juice Fasting
Although juice fasting is an amazing way to detox your entire system, it may have its share of side-effects. Below mentioned are the symptoms that may be apparent during juice fasting.
- Headaches are a common occurrence during juice fasting. It could be more in people who are into coffee or tea. The other reason why you may have a headache is dehydration. It is important to stay hydrated. Remember to take 6-7 glasses of water throughout the day.
- Nausea is another common side effect of juice fasting. This happens due to the intake of just one type of food or taking something in more quantity which you have never done before. However, with time you will get used to the process. To prevent nausea, go easy on green vegetable juices, or you may take them in the form of soup or broth instead of in the juice form.
- Since there is very little or no fibre intake during juice fasting, you may experience constipation.
- Some people may also experience diarrhoea while on a juice cleanse. In such a case, replace the fruit or vegetable juice with some other juice. You can also decrease the amount of fruit juice you drink. Keeping your body hydrated by drinking lots of water and the juice of tender coconut will provide you with electrolytes.
- Like headaches, back pain can be a side effect when a person stops drinking tea or coffee while on this detox diet. To eliminate the back pain, you may drink a little coffee or tea for some time then gradually stop the caffeine intake.
- Some people may experience fatigue or weakness. Take rest whenever you feel so. It is also a good idea to take an afternoon nap while you are on a juice diet. Also, get a full 8-9 hours of sleep during the detox period.
- At times people following this diet may feel feverish. In such cases, drink lots of water and tender coconut water. They may even experience bad breathe or skin rashes. However, all of these are side-effects of being on a juice fast, and with time all these will go away.
- Many people may experience muscle cramps or cramps in their legs. Drinking lots of water or tender coconut will take care of the electrolytes and provide relief from cramps.
Here are answers to some frequently-asked-questions on juice fasting.
1. For How Many Days Should One Do Juice Fasting?
For beginners, a 3-day juice fasting is best. As you adapt yourself to the process, you may increase the number of days.
2. What Should I Eat Right After Juice Fasting?
The day you finish your juice cleanse diet program, eat very light food which will be easy on your stomach. Opt for fruit slices, juices, soups, broths, or boiled vegetables. Gradually you can start eating normally.
3. How Much Juice Should I Drink While on a Juice Fast?
You may drink as much juice, water or soups/broths while on a juice cleanse. Drink juice whenever you feel hungry or thirsty. However, according to experts, you should include at least fifty per cent of green vegetable juices in your juice cleanse diet.
4. How Can I Start Juice Fasting?
People usually do juice fasting to lose weight or for some health reasons. It cleanses your entire system and nourishes your body with nutrients. However, going without food for days is not easy. Therefore, the most important thing before someone starts juice fasting is to make up your mind for it. Then you have to set realistic goals – a three-day of juicing is good for beginners. After you complete your detox diet, you may then continue it with one day of juice fasting every week. Some even do it for seven days a month. However, it is advisable to go slow initially.
5. Who Must Avoid Juice Fasting?
Although juice fasting is a good way to get a healthy body, there are some people who should avoid it.
- First and foremost juice fasting for diabetics is a complete no-no since most fruit juices contain quite a good amount of sugar.
- Women who are pregnant or are nursing a baby should avoid it since these people require more calories in their daily diet which they cannot obtain from juices.
- To heal and repair your body, one must take adequate proteins which are not present in juices. Therefore, people suffering from chronic diseases should avoid juice fasting.
Now that you know what juice fasting is all about and its pros-cons, decide for yourself and do what you think will suit you best.