How to Protect your Baby from Poisonous Plants
After your baby gets mobile, home becomes a wonderful place for him to explore. The garden or your shelves of indoor plants are especially fascinating places where children love to play around. Beware though! Some indoor plants you may have kept for ornamental or medicinal purposes may be dangerous for your babies.
List of Poisonous Plants for Children
- Castor oil plant
- Coral tree
- Pink and yellow oleander
- Deadly nightshade
- Rhus or wax tree
- White cedar tree
- Chilly plant
- Cacti and other succulents
- Mushrooms and toad stools
- Virginia creeper
Common Plant Poisoning in Babies
Your baby may be at risk if one of these circumstances arise:
- Babies taste, eat or munch on the leaves.
- They ingest roots or swallow seeds of a plant.
- Their skin comes into contact with the sap or juices of a plant.
- They eat the soil.
While most plants do not cause any harm unless eaten in large quantities, you need to make sure your baby doesn’t get too experimental with plants, either indoors or outdoors.
Tips for Preventing Plant Poisoning in Children
- Berries, seeds and bulbs should be kept out of reach of the kids.
- When playing in the garden or outdoors, teach your child to stay away from the plants.
- Find out the names of the plants in your house or garden and tag them accordingly. This will help you keep tabs on the potential hazards of the plants in case they are poisonous.
- Fence off any suspicious plant until your child is old enough to understand that he has to stay away from it.
First Aid for your Baby In Case of Plant Poisoning
Sometimes, in-spite of your being vigilant, your baby might pluck a leaf or bud from a plant and put it into his mouth. In that case, follow these steps immediately to put him out of danger:
- Look for the eaten parts of the plant inside the baby’s mouth and remove them with your fingers.
- Make your baby drink plenty of water.
- Do not force the child to vomit.
- Call the doctor immediately.
When your curious little one is taking a walk in the garden or playing with plants, always make sure you are around. If your child experiences side effects due to accidental ingestion of a poisonous plant, seek service of a doctor immediately. A little precaution will save you and your baby from a potentially frightening situation!