Every article that we publish, confirms to stringent guidelines & involves several levels of reviews, both from our Editorial team & Experts. We welcome your suggestions in making this platform more useful for all our users. Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated on
Being pregnant means making healthy food choices and giving up on certain foods that you love to eat! If you’re pregnant, you’re bound to be concerned about what foods to eat (what to avoid) to keep your baby healthy, and that’s totally normal! Getting the right micro-nutrients is important during pregnancy and a varied diet can provide you and your baby with all the necessary nutrients. In this article, we will be discussing one healthy food (beans) in particular: kidney beans.
If you love eating rajma chawal, you’re likely to want to know if you can continue to eat it while pregnant. Rajma is packed with several micronutrients apart from being a rich source of protein and fibre. Despite its nutritional value, there are certain health risks associated with it. Learn the benefits and harmful effects of consuming kidney beans during pregnancy. Also, learn about the precautions you can follow when eating rajma.
Amazing Benefits of Consuming Rajma in Pregnancy
Kidney beans are a great source protein and fibre are high in antioxidants too. Most women ask if they can eat kidney beans when pregnant. The answer is yes, as it is a superfood. Look at some of the benefits of including rajma while pregnancy:
1. Lowers the Risk of Gestational Diabetes
Being a rich source of antioxidant, kidney beans can prevent chances of gestational diabetes. The antioxidants present in it are helpful for the skin of the mother and baby.
2. Strengthens the Immune System
Kidney beans contain essential amino acids that help in fighting diseases and infections, eventually building a strong immune system.
3. Lowers the Risk of Iron Deficiency
4. Helps Enhance Enzyme Activity in the Body
Copper found in kidney beans reduce inflammation and help enhance the enzymatic activity in the body. It further helps in maintaining the elastic nature of joints, blood vessels, and ligaments while delivering the baby.
5. Provides Energy
The abundant amount of magnesium relieves fatigue by relaxing blood vessels, muscles and nerves during pregnancy.
6. Contains Dietary Fibre
Kidney beans contain dietary fibre which is essential to regularize the blood cholesterol level during pregnancy.
7. Eliminates Nausea
Bile acids cause morning sickness in pregnant women. Kidney beans help in eliminating nausea that most pregnant women feel in the morning.
8. May Lower the Risk of Sore Muscles
Muscle soreness and asthma are adverse conditions during pregnancy which can be effectively be averted by consuming kidney beans.
Harmful Effects of Eating Rajma in Excessive Amounts When Pregnant
One should be extremely cautious not to overindulge in kidney beans during pregnancy. Over consuming this wonder, food can result in harmful effects too.
- Kidney beans contain purines which may lead to gout or kidney stones.
- Always adjust the quantity of kidney beans intake as it can cause intestinal gas and cramp because the digestive system becomes lax and slow during pregnancy.
- Too much folate from kidney beans can increase the risk of cancer.
- Avoid consuming canned kidney beans and always ensure that quality products are bought.
- Excessive iron in the diet can damage the brain and trigger heart attacks.
Things to Remember While Having Rajma
It is imperative to be extra careful about health and extra cautious about diet if you wish to deliver a healthy baby after conceiving.
- Only 25 to 38 grams of fibre should be included in the diet.
- Rajma should be well cooked and then eaten.
- Kidney beans are harmful or poisonous when they are eaten raw or undercooked. The outer skin contains toxins which can be removed by cooking it until it becomes tender.
- Kidney beans tend to be still harmful when they are cooked at a temperature of less than 100 degree Celsius.
- You can have 1-2 bowls of kidney beans per day, 3-4 times a week.
Kidney beans help in treating and preventing multiple health issues, they can be an easy and possible inclusion in the diet while carrying a healthy baby to its full term. The thumb rules regarding kidney beans should always be remembered, and thereafter one should feel free to experiment with the superfood available all the year-round, inexpensive, and easy to prepare.
Also Read: Consuming Tofu during Pregnancy