In this Article
Creating a baby inside the body requires extra energy and nutrients, and so, it becomes mandatory for the expectant mothers to eat nutritive food in small quantities. Getting the right micronutrients is the demand of the pregnancy period. A varied diet provides the mother and the baby with all the important nutrients, but an eclectic mix can introduce the little munchkin to new tastes.
When we talk about nutritive food can the benefits of kidney beans or rajma be ignored? It is a very popular legume mainly because of its texture, colour and great taste. Moreover, it is a great meat substitute for vegetarians. ‘Rajma chawal’ is liked by adults and kids alike. It is packed with several micronutrients apart from being a rich source of protein and fibre.Despite this,health risks are definitely associated with it. Proper knowledge of it will provide the right understanding to incorporate kidney beans into the diet appropriately without harming one’s health.
Amazing Benefits Of Consuming Rajma In Pregnancy
Having acquired its name because of its close visual resemblance in colour and shape to kidneys, it is widely consumed across the globe. Being rich in protein, fibre and slow- release carbs, the inclusion of rajma in meals help in regulating blood sugar. The kidney bean nutrition is packed with starch and disease-fighting antioxidants that develop strong and healthy immunity. They include powerful elements such as iron, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, folate and potassium. An oft-asked question is ‘Can I eat kidney beans when pregnant?’ The obvious answer to the question is that it is the ‘superfood of pregnancy’ which will surely help the baby to grow well mentally and physically. Some amazing benefits of consuming kidney beans during pregnancy are enumerated below:
1. Rich in Antioxidants
Being a rich source of antioxidant, kidney beans can prevent chances of gestational diabetes. The antioxidants present in it are helpful for the skin of the mother and baby.
2. Contains amino acids
Kidney beans contain essential amino acids that help in fighting diseases and infections, eventually building a strong immune system.
3. Increases iron content
4. Contains copper
Copper found in kidney beans reduce inflammation and help to enhance the enzymatic activity in the body. It further helps in maintaining the elastic nature of joints, blood vessels and ligaments while delivering the baby.
5. Offers Energy
The abundant amount of magnesium relieves fatigue by relaxing blood vessels, muscles and nerves during pregnancy.
6. Flushes the Sulfites
Consuming kidney beans during pregnancy helps in detoxifying the sulphite. It helps to avoid a headache or fast-paced heartbeat which are sulphite related allergies.
7. Contain dietary fibre
Kidney beans contain dietary fibre which is essential to regularize the blood cholesterol level during pregnancy.
8. Eliminates nausea
Bile acids cause morning sickness in pregnant women. Kidney beans help in eliminating nausea that most pregnant women feel in the morning.
9. Averts conditions like sore muscles or asthma
Muscle soreness and asthma are adverse conditions during pregnancy which can be effectively be averted by consuming kidney beans.
10. Gets rid of bile acids
The bile acid merges with the dietary fibre present in the kidney beans and flushes away the extra fat from the body.
Harmful Effects of Eating Rajma When Pregnant
One should be extremely cautious not to overindulge in kidney beans during the period of pregnancy. Over consuming this wonder, food can result in harmful effects too.
- Kidney beans contain purines which can lead to gout or kidney stones.
- Unwanted dangers can be caused because of a substance present in kidney beans that can adversely affect the cellular metabolism during pregnancy.
- Always adjust the quantity of kidney beans intake as it can cause intestinal gas and cramp because the digestive system becomes lax and slow during pregnancy.
- Too much folate from kidney beans can increase the risk of cancer.
- Avoid consuming canned kidney beans and always ensure that quality products are bought.
- Excessive iron in the diet can damage the brain and trigger heart attacks.
Things to Remember While Having Rajma
There cannot be a more joyful and wonderful experience of being pregnant with a life growing inside the mother’s body. It is imperative to be extra careful about health and extra cautious about diet if you wish to deliver a healthy baby after conceiving.
- Only 25 to 38 grams of fibre should be included in the diet.
- Rajma should be well cooked and then eaten.
- Kidney beans are harmful or poisonous when they are eaten raw or undercooked. The outer skin contains toxins which can be removed by cooking it until it becomes tender.
- Kidney beans tend to be still harmful when they are cooked at a temperature less than 100degree Celsius.
- Rinse kidney beans before use and cook dry kidney beans in simmering water for 2 to 3 hours.
Kidney beans have been called ‘magical’, and the epithet agrees with the beneficial properties of kidney beans. As kidney beans help in treating and preventing multiple health issues, they can be an easy and possible inclusion in the diet while carrying a healthy baby to its full term. The thumb rules regarding kidney beans should always be remembered, and thereafter one should feel free to experiment the superfood available all the year round, inexpensive, and easy to prepare.
Also Read: Consuming Tofu during Pregnancy