Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.
Can Breastfeeding Help You Lose Weight?
The feeling of becoming a mother cannot be explained in words. It is an achievement and almost each and every single woman look forward to being a mother. Breastfeeding is one of the most important perks of becoming a mother as breastfeeding offers various benefits to mothers. It can also help mums lose weight. We all have a different body, so the time to lose postpartum weight may vary from woman to woman.
Breastmilk provides nourishment to the baby and protects a baby from falling sick. It also helps boost the immune strength of the baby. Breastfeeding your baby can be very beneficial for him plus it can help you lose weight.
Gaining weight during pregnancy is obviously normal but excess weight gain is not good. However, postpartum, you can lose that weight slowly and gradually. Breastfeeding your little one can help you lose that weight too!
Why Is Breastfeeding a Boon for the Body?
Breastfeeding a baby is not easy. It is one of the most energy-consuming tasks. It can help your body burn calories. When you breastfeed, you also use fats stored in your body and the calories from your diet to increase milk production and to feed your baby. When the fats and calories are used up, you lose weight. Breastfeeding can really help in weight loss. Also, the postpartum body is so light and weak that it helps reduce the extra fat out of the body along with the help of nutrients consumed for the production of milk supply for the baby.
Healthy Ways to Lose Pregnancy Weight
Here is how you can lose weight after your baby’s birth. Wait for a few weeks then follow these methods to lose weight.
- Eat in Small Portions: Instead of opting for 3 meals per day, have 5-6 small meals. Include fruits, vegetables, cereals, etc., in your diet. If you want to have snacks, indulge in healthy snacks, like nuts, fruits, yoghurt, etc because at that time your body will become what you eat. So, no compromise on the healthy diet after delivery.
- Eat Foods Rich in Protein and Fibre: Eat foods that are rich in protein and fibre. These foods can help curb your hunger and keep you full for longer.
- Exercise: Moderate exercise is unlikely to negatively affect the milk supply. Performing mild exercises like having a walk for about 20-30 minutes daily would do good to your body.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of unsweetened drinks like warm water, jeera water, and coconut water during the postpartum period can help you stay hydrated. It can also help you lose weight by keeping you full and more active throughout the day.
- Get Adequate Sleep: It is very important to plan your sleep when the baby sleeps because sleep deprivation can make you feel hungry and you might crave for certain foods that you shouldn’t be eating.
- Avoid Added Sugar and Preservatives: Intake of raw sugar and other processed food not only increases the weight but can also affect the milk supply and eventually affect a baby’s health.
Breastfeeding is one of the natural ways to lose weight gained during pregnancy. However, you should eat healthy foods and exercise a lot if you want to lose weight and stay healthy!