In this Article
A baby has to go through several benchmarks while growing up. These little benchmarks may sometimes cause discomfort to the baby and teething can be one of them! Though it is not important that all babies feel teething discomforts and if your munchkin does not feel any pain or discomfort, well, thank your stars! However, if your child experiences teething discomfort, well, it can be an equally excruciating experience for you as a parent! And you may want to consider options that may ease your baby’s pain and teething tablets is something that may become a good option! Let us acquaint you with teething tablets, how safe are they, and other associated aspects of the topic, in this post!
What Are Teething Tablets?
Before you consider this option, it is important to know exactly what infant teething tablets are! Well, teething tablets or pills are tiny globules that are formulated to dissolve in baby’s mouth with saliva or with few sips of water. These teething tablets are usually homoeopathic medicines that may contain ingredients such as Coffea Cruda, which may help in battling sleeplessness, Chamomilla, which may help in easing irritability in babies and other such ingredients.
Should Babies Use Them?
Teething is a natural phenomenon for babies that begins around 4 to 12 months of age and continues until your baby reaches two years of age. Also, it is not very common for babies to experience any teething pain but there are some babies who may experience such symptoms. It is also important to understand that drooling is not always associated with teething. After knowing all these, well, it must be clear that teething is not as dreadful as rumors may have done for you. So, whether babies should use them or not, is left at the personal discretion of the parents. However, there is no study available by the FDA on teething tablets that supports the use of such drugs for babies.
Side Effects of Teething Tablets on Infants
The biggest concern when it comes to administering baby teething pills is their potential side effects. This is because the probable side-effects of most of these teething pills or natural teething tablets aren’t established yet and there is not enough evidence that supports the efficacy of administering these pills to ease teething woes in babies. In addition to that, some pills may also contain harmful extracts of belladonna plant that is considered unsafe for babies. This is because taking more than prescribed amounts of these pills may lead to sleepiness, seizures, lethargy, and other such symptoms in babies.
Safe Alternatives to Teething Tablets
It is natural for parents to look for options that may ease the baby’s pain and discomfort. However, going in for options that are a safer bet is something that is highly recommended. Here are some safe options that you can try:
- You can use a cold wet washcloth to help ease any teething pain that your baby may be experiencing. This remedy works wonders especially you have a clear sign of teeth popping up in your baby’s mouth.
- Place your baby’s teething toy, pacifier, or other such chewy things in the refrigerator and offer them to your baby when he experiences itching or pain. However, make sure you do no freeze the toys.
- Massaging your baby’s gums is a great way to provide relief from your baby’s teething issues. Make sure your fingers are clean and you do not exert more pressure on your baby’s gums. Use softer movements or you can simply let your little one gnaw away to glory!
- Teething may sometimes cause pressure on your little one’s ears. You may try elevating your baby’s mattress by placing some rolled towels underneath. This may help in getting some relief to your munchkin!
- Another tried and tested way out of this treacherous condition is to divert your baby’s mind and indulge him in some fun activity. What better than playtime with parents to forget the annoying teething discomfort!
If you still have any concerns about teething pills, well, here we are to your rescue with some frequently asked questions that usually boggle parents’ minds about teething tablets or homoeopathic teething tablets for babies:
1. If I Gave My Infant Teething Tablets, What Signs Should I Watch For?
If you have administered teething tablets to your little one, here are some signs that you should watch for: You should look for any signs of flushed skin, breathing difficulty, excessive sleepiness, agitation, constipation, difficulty in urinating, lethargy, muscle weakness, etc in your baby. As these are some of the warning signs mentioned by the FDA that you should not ignore if you have given any kind of teething tablets to your baby. If you register any such signs or symptoms, get medical assistance at once.
2. Do Teething Tablets Actually Work?
Well, the exact answer is still not known. However, the FDA is still doing research on teething tablets that claim to reduce redness and inflammation of the gums. However, there are still not enough evidence and proof that supports the use of such tablets in easing teething pain in babies.
3. If These Tablets Are Homeopathic, Why Should I Worry?
Many parents may wonder that if the homoeopathic formulation may not pose any threat to their baby’s health, then why to bother unnecessarily! Well, that may not be the case because it was observed that many homoeopathic teething medicines contain inconsistent amounts of belladonna extracts that may lead to potential side-effects in babies. Though belladonna is a plant extract and it is widely used in over-the-counter prescriptions but excessive amounts of this substance can not only be toxic for your little one but also lead to many health complications.
Every parent wishes to take right decisions when it comes to taking care of their little ones, however, when it comes to making decisions that involve prescription medicines or any other kind of medicines, well, it is best to consult your baby’s paediatrician for the same! Your baby’s doctor can guide you best in this regard.