10 Healthy and Delicious Broccoli Recipes for Toddlers and Kids
Broccoli is packed with essential nutrients and eating it will ensure your children remain strong and healthy. So, if you want to know how to cook broccoli for kids, keep reading.
How Beneficial is Broccoli for Children?
Broccoli contains beta-carotene, vitamin A, phosphorous and other vitamins like vitamin B complex, vitamins C and E. It is known to be helpful in reduction of allergic reactions and inflammation, bone and heart health and it is a great detoxifier. It also helps the skin and eyes and is a very powerful antioxidant. Therefore, it is beneficial to cook broccoli for kids.
Tasty Broccoli Recipes for Toddlers and Kids
Here are some tasty kid-friendly broccoli recipes that you can try:
1. Broccoli Soup
Here is a broccoli soup for toddlers.
- 10 Florets of Broccoli
- One medium potato peeled and cubed
- One small onion finely chopped
- Four cloves garlic finely chopped
- A pinch of salt
- One teaspoon ghee
- Quarter teaspoon pepper powder
- Quarter cup milk
- One teaspoon fresh cream
- Use a pressure cooker to heat some ghee. Add the garlic and sauté into the mix.
- Add the onions and fry until golden brown.
- Stir in the broccoli and potatoes.
- Add a cup of water and then pressure cook everything for three whistles.
- Once the pressure has been released, remove everything from the pressure cooker and wait for it to cool. Then blend it into a smooth paste.
- Heat the soup and add the milk, salt, pepper and the fresh cream.
2. Broccoli Khichdi
A nutritious meal made with softened rice for your toddler.
- Half a cup rice
- Half a cup moong daal
- One medium onion
- One medium tomato
- Four cloves garlic
- One cup broccoli floret
- One teaspoon turmeric powder
- One medium potato
- 3 ½ cups of water
- Salt to taste
- Cumin seeds
- Wash the rice and daal and leave to soak for about ten minutes.
- Drain the water and add potatoes, turmeric, salt and water to the rice and daal in a pressure cooker and let it cook for four whistles.
- Heat some ghee and temper the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Add the garlic and the onions and fry until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cook them until they are soft.
- Blend the broccoli, but do not grind it into a smooth paste.
- Add the broccoli to the onion-tomato mix and add some salt. Mix everything well and once cooked, add it to the rice and daal.
3. Broccoli Mac N Cheese
Your toddler absolutely love these flavours. Mac n cheese can never go wrong!
- 250gms macaroni
- 300 gms broccoli
- Two tablespoons butter
- One egg yolk
- One cup milk
- 250gms shredded cheese
- Two teaspoons mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Add salt to the water (which is to be boiled in a large pot).
- Cook the pasta until soft.
- Steam the broccoli until soft and fine chop.
- Once cooked, drain and mix the pasta with the egg yolk and butter and stir well.
- Add the milk, cheese and mustard. Stir until the cream melts.
- Add the broccoli, salt and pepper and mix well.
4. Cheesy Broccoli Bites
Easy to make and very delicious.
- Two cups broccoli florets
- Two large eggs
- Half a teaspoon salt
- Half a cup breadcrumbs
- Two-ounces grated cheese
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- Steam the broccoli until tender.
- Add the broccoli, egg, bread crumbs, salt and cheese to a mixer and blend until finely minced.
- Use a tablespoon to make small balls out of the mixture.
- Fry the balls until they are crispy and serve hot.
5. Broccoli Burji
An easy and nutritious meal.
- One finely chopped broccoli
- Three beaten eggs
- One chopped onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Two tablespoons oil
- One teaspoon of mustard seeds, urad daal and cumin seeds each
- One sprig curry leaves
- Heat oil in a dish and temper the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad daal and curry leaves.
- Sauté the onions until golden brown.
- Add broccoli and salt and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Beat some eggs and then add it to the broccoli along with some pepper.
- Let it sit for a while and then start tossing the mix until the egg is cooked.
6. Broccoli Pizza
A simple and delicious meal.
- One cup broccoli, cherry tomatoes and broccoli each
- Pita Bread
- Pizza Sauce
- 180 gms mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 204 degrees Celsius.
- Once you arrange the pizzas, place them on a baking tray and bake for ten minutes.
7. Broccoli and Cheese Quiche
Cheesy goodness in small bites
- Two cups of broccoli florets
- One cup of milk
- One cup of heavy cream
- Two large eggs
- Two large egg yolks
- One cup grated cheese
- Half teaspoon salt and pepper each
- Quarter teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Grease eight muffin cups and set aside.
- Steam the broccoli and then fine chop.
- Whisk the eggs and the extra yolks together and then add the cheese, milk and cream.
- Add the spices and cheese and then mix in the broccoli.
- Ladle the mixture into the muffin cups and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Let cool before removing and serving.
8. Broccoli Bread
This savoury bread offers a touch of sweetness
- Four eggs
- ¾ cup paneer
- ½ cup sour cream
- Two tablespoons of melted butter
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped onions
- 285 gms chopped broccoli
- 230gms corn muffin mix
- Cooking spray
- 205 degrees Celsius.
- Coat a baking tray that is 13X9 inches with the cooking spray.
- Combine the eggs, paneer, sour cream, melted butter and salt.
- Stir in the broccoli, corn mix and onions.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until set.
9. Broccoli Dosai
Your kids will enjoy this delightful green dosa
- Dosa Batter
- One broccoli finely chopped
- Quarter teaspoon turmeric powder, garam masala each
- One pinch Asafoetida
- Half tablespoon chilli powder
- Half tablespoon lemon juice
- One tablespoon curd
- One tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- Marinate the broccoli in the spices for ten minutes.
- Blend it with the dosa batter to get a green batter.
- Fry the dosa with some ghee or oil and serve with curd.
10. Broccoli And Cauliflower Saute
A flavourful dish for the family.
- One cup each of broccoli floret and cauliflower floret
- One glove thinly sliced garlic
- Quarter cup chicken/vegetable broth
- Three tablespoons water
- 1/3 teaspoon ground pepper
- Heat some oil in medium flame and add the garlic and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the Broccoli and cauliflower and cook for two minutes, occasionally stirring the mix.
- Add the water, broth, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low heat until the vegetables are tender.
Very few kids enjoy broccoli, but if cooked well, they will grow fond of it. Use these recipes for when you are cooking for the kids.