Every article that we publish, confirms to stringent guidelines & involves several levels of reviews, both from our Editorial team & Experts. We welcome your suggestions in making this platform more useful for all our users. Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- What Are Soy Isoflavones?
- How Do They Work for Fertility?
- Who Should Take Soy Isoflavones for Fertility?
- How to Consume Soy Isoflavones for Fertility
- Soy Isoflavones Dosage for Fertility
- Possible Risks and Side Effects of Taking Soy Isoflavones
- Can You Take Soy Isoflavones Supplements for Getting Pregnant?
- Things to Remember Before Consuming Soy Isoflavones for Conception
Last Updated on
If you trying to get pregnant for a long time now, you may consider taking soy isoflavones to speed up the process. It is an unconventional method, but in today’s age where many women deal with fertility problems, it may just be the answer you are looking for. Although there is no concrete research result which proves this, it’s worth looking into how soy isoflavones can be used to boost fertility.
What Are Soy Isoflavones?
Isoflavones are a type of phytoestrogen or micronutrient derived from plants. They help in stimulating the estrogen in your body. Foods like soybean or other soy products which have a high level of protein contain isoflavones in a higher proportion. It is said that consuming these foods high in isoflavones can increase the chances of fertility in a woman.
How Do They Work for Fertility?
Many women experience fertility or non-ovulatory issues. Soy isoflavones can help induce ovulation in such women. Women who also have the problem of irregular periods can consume these isoflavones to get much-needed relief. On consumption, they increase estrogen production in a woman’s body. This, in turn, stimulates ovulation and can make you ready for pregnancy. Therefore, taking soy isoflavones for infertility is a good natural alternative.
Who Should Take Soy Isoflavones for Fertility?
Before you try them out, always consult your doctor. If your menstrual cycles and ovulatory cycles are regular, you must not take soy isoflavones as they may cause hormonal imbalances in your body. On the other hand, if you have issues with ovulation or irregular periods, then you can try soy isoflavones. However, take these only after consulting with your doctor.
How to Consume Soy Isoflavones for Fertility
There are two ways to consume soy isoflavones if you are looking to take them for fertility. Here is how you can consume soy isoflavones for fertility:
- Soy isoflavone can be consumed in the form of supplements. They are available at pharmacies as tablets or capsules.
- You can also consume soy or edamame beans and other soy products such as soy milk, soy tofu or yoghurt made of soy.
Soy Isoflavones Dosage for Fertility
The dosage of soy isoflavone supplements for getting pregnant is 80 mg every day. Since you will get them in the form of 40mg pills at pharmacies or health stores, you can take two tablets every day. However, do consult with your doctor first before taking soy isoflavones supplements.
Possible Risks and Side Effects of Taking Soy Isoflavones
Taking soy isoflavones for fertility is not a proven practice and there are some risks and side effects associated with their use, which are as follows:
- Taking soy isoflavone supplements for more than 5 days in a row every month can affect your ovulatory cycle.
- Taking too much soy isoflavone can throw your menstrual cycle out of balance.
- Taking soy isoflavone supplements with other antibiotics can again cause negative effects on your health.
- Soy isoflavones can lead to breast cancer in some women.
- Consumption of soy isoflavones can also cause thyroid problems in women.
- Digestive disorders and headaches are other side effects of consuming soy isoflavones.
Can You Take Soy Isoflavones Supplements for Getting Pregnant?
Yes, it can be taken, but the research behind this is quite vague. It is safe to take supplements for short periods to see if this will help you get pregnant but taking them for longer periods might be dangerous, as this realm is yet unknown to scientists. For best results, take soy isoflavone supplements at the correct time during your menstrual cycle. Usually, it is advised to take them 3-5 days after the first day of your menstrual cycle. Take your supplements after meals and make sure you stick to the same timing every day.
Things to Remember Before Consuming Soy Isoflavones for Conception
Some important points to remember before consuming soy isoflavones for pregnancy are:
- During your five-day course, take the correct dosage of supplements. Increased soy isoflavone supplement dosage can lead to health problems.
- If you are suffering from PCOS, it is better to avoid taking soy isoflavone supplements.
- If you are consuming any antibiotics or medicines for thyroid, consult your doctor first before taking the supplements as they can cause problems in your body.
- If your ovulation is irregular, then you can take these supplements. But if your infertility is caused by some other issue like uterine fibroids, uterine polyps, fibrocystic breasts or thyroid issues, then you should never take soy isoflavones as they might make these disorders worse.
- If you are above 35 years, definitely consult your doctor before taking soy isoflavone supplements.
- Take the supplements at the right time every day during the five-day course to minimise side effects like digestive issues or fatigue.
Soy isoflavones are a good option if you are struggling to conceive. If you follow your doctor’s instructions carefully, then soy isoflavones can help in increasing your chances of pregnancy. Good luck!
Also Read: Consuming Coenzyme Q10 for Fertility