In this Article
The urge to masturbate is a natural urge. However, there are only limited discussions about it as the topic is deemed to be a taboo. This is why pregnant women may find it difficult to initiate a conversation about whether engaging in masturbation during pregnancy is safe. Left in the dark as they cannot find answers, they tend to forgo the idea.
To all the pregnant women wondering if they can masturbate during pregnancy, the answer is yes. It is natural and safe unless you have a high-risk pregnancy (in which case, some degree of caution should be exercised).
Is It Safe to Masturbate during Pregnancy?
During pregnancy, some women find that their libido increases due to hormonal changes. An increase in the level of oestrogen and progesterone will likely boost your sexual appetite. Engaging in masturbation and even sex during this time is completely safe. You may experience mild cramps once you achieve an orgasm due to muscle contractions. This can further cause Braxton Hicks contractions which decreases and eventually stops.
It is also possible that due to intense nausea and fatigue, some women may lose their interest in sex or masturbation.
Women with high-risk pregnancies may have higher chances of going into labour due to orgasms.
Reasons to Masturbate When Pregnant
That the benefits of masturbating while pregnant are plenty is undeniable. Some of them are:
- It relieves stress: When you orgasm after a masturbating, oxytocin is released into your body which is a natural stress reliever.
- Orgasms can be even better during pregnancy: Pregnant orgasms are a notch above the normal orgasms, which means added pleasure.
- It’s a great alternative for sex: Your growing belly or a medical condition may prevent you from having sex or make it difficult for you, which is when masturbation can come to your rescue.
- It can control pregnancy symptoms: Some of the least enjoyable things during pregnancy are symptoms like morning sickness, swollen feet, back pain, etc. Having an orgasm can be a natural pain relief for these symptoms.
- It can help you sleep: When the growing belly makes sleeping a chore, you can rely on masturbation as orgasms lower blood pressure and releases endorphins that can help you sleep.
- It can make your labour easier: A strong pelvic floor can be beneficial during labour and delivery. Masturbation and orgasms strengthen your pelvic floor.
- It can make you love your body: You may feel a little disconnected with your pregnant body owing to all the changes that your body goes through. Masturbating and exploring yourself can help you feel connected to your body again and make you love it.
Masturbation Hacks for Pregnant Women
With all those benefits staring at you, you will no doubt want to give yourself some much-deserved break and self-love. Here are a few hacks that can make the whole masturbation experience even better.
1. Keep Your Sex Toys Handy
Using your sex toys during pregnancy are not only safe for you and your baby but can also be even better for you. Pick up your vibrator for a mild thrusting that can leave you elated.
2. Keep Your Sex Toys Clean
It is important to keep your sex toys clean and sanitized always to prevent infection. It is all the more important now that you are carrying a little baby inside you. Ensure that you wash them with warm water and soap before you store them in a dry and cool place.
3. Use Lubricants
Before getting down to it and using your sex toys or fingers, you may want to use a lubricant. Vaginal dryness in common in many women and applying lubricants can only make the entire experience even better as it tends to make the genitals extra sensitive.
4. Take All The Time You Need
Due to the changes in your body your masturbation experience may be slightly or largely different from before. While some may not excite you anymore, others may be better than usual. Also, added blood flow to the genital region can make them super sensitive and you will need time to explore the right intensity and moves for your pregnancy body.
5. Explore Different Positions
Your body has changed a lot and you have a large belly that can make earlier positions a tad bit difficult. So you may need to do a whole bit of trial and error to zero in on the optimal position. It is said that lying on your back isn’t ideal during pregnancy; hence you may want to try out lying on your side, standing on all fours or even bending over the bed.
6. Draw A Bath
Water can have a soothing effect during pregnancy. You can also take a warm shower for your back, provided the water is not too hot. It can also prevent any discomfort and help you achieve orgasm faster.
7. Do It Before Bedtime
Masturbating right before your bedtime can help you sleep better due to a boost in endorphins after an orgasm.
8. Clitoral Stimulation For People With Pelvic Rest
If your doctor has put you on pelvic rest for any reason, which means that you are off sex, you can still engage in masturbation by stimulating your clitoris and achieve an orgasm. You may want to check the feasibility of this with your doctor though.
9. Set The Mood
Many women may not particularly experience an increase in libido due to stress caused by symptoms. If you are one of those, you can try setting the mood with some scented candles, some erotic books, slipping into your favourite sensuous lingerie, etc. Don’t just use masturbation as something to do because you have the time. Instead, make it a pleasurable experience and make it worth your while.
Precautions to Take While Masturbating
Although masturbation during pregnancy is largely safe, a few precautions can help you enjoy it without any complications.
- Ensure that the sex toys that are being used are properly cleaned and sanitized to prevent infection to you and the baby.
- Do not use any foreign objects to masturbate as the chances of it carrying bacteria and viruses are higher. Also, small objects tend to get lost in the vagina and sharp objects can also injure the walls of the vagina.
- Stop when you experience any kind of discomfort of pain. If the pain persists consult a doctor for assistance.
When Should You Avoid Masturbation?
Although there aren’t many side effects of masturbation during pregnancy it is best to avoid masturbating if you are at risk of pre-term labour or have had a risk of pre-term labour in your previous pregnancy. If you have vaginal bleeding refrain from masturbating. Also, in case you have been diagnosed with a condition called placenta praevia, where the placenta covers the opening of the mother’s cervix, you need to avoid masturbation.
Masturbation is natural and safe, especially in a low-risk pregnancy, and can be a great stress reliever. However, in case you have a high-risk pregnancy or have been asked by your doctor to refrain from sexual activities, you will have to do so. It is important that you discuss the feasibility of masturbating with your doctor to understand what is permitted and what is not.