In this Article
Last Updated on
Introduce the goodness of jowar to the babies in the form of homemade Jowar Idli baby food recipe. Jowar is one of the healthy cereals and including it in the baby’s diet in the form of idli will make the dish nutrient rich. Jowar idli for babies is a perfect healthy recipe which is easy to carry and easy to make.
Type of Meal:
South Indian Vegetarian Meal
Any Toddlers above 18 Months of Age
Breakfast or Mid-Morning
|Ingredients||Quantity and Volume|
|Urad Dal||1 Cup|
|Fenugreek Seeds (Methi)||1 tsp|
|Oil or Ghee||2 tbsp|
|Salt||A pinch to taste|
Wondering how to make jowar idli? You are on the right page and here you will get detailed step-by-step directions to prepare the jowar idli. This dish is extremely easy and does not require much of your time to prepare.
- Firstly, wash and clean the jowar, urad dal and methi seeds properly.
- Soak all the three ingredients together in a clean bowl with enough water overnight for around 8-9 hours.
- Blend the mixture in the grinder and make a smooth paste of it.
- Transfer the paste in a deep clean bowl and cover it with a lid and keep it aside to ferment for 8-10 hours.
- After this, add salt to the mixture according to the taste.
- Grease the idli moulds with oil so that it is easy to remove once cooked.
- Now pour the spoonful of mixture into the idli moulds and leave it a bit empty so that the mixture remains of same size.
- Steam the idlis in an idli steamer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve the hot idli with coconut chutney or sambhar.
Mothers have to take care of their babies along with cooking. So this simple Jowar Idli recipe is easy to prepare and does not take much time. It is also easy to carry and it’s a healthy stomach filling dish. Here are some tips to keep in mind while making this recipe.
- Wash the jowar and urad dal properly.
- Make sure to make a smooth paste of the mixture. Add some water if required.
- Use clean or filtered water for cooking.
- Always wash your hands well before cooking. The utensils used should also be properly cleaned.
- Cover the lid properly and keep it aside.
- Put a knife and check whether the idli’s are steamed properly. If the knife does not come out clean then steam for another few minutes.
Nutrition Information (Value For Per Idli)
|Vitamin A||150.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.1 mg|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||3.6 mcg|
Jowar idli has its own health benefits. Here are few of the health benefits of Jowar Idli baby food recipe.
- Jowar idli is a soft food which initiates the chewing process which is good for baby’s gums.
- This recipe will make your baby’s stomach full for longer time.
- It contains protein which is required for the baby’s growth
- Jowar helps in building up the immunity system of baby’s.
- Jowar is a rich source of protein. It improves the heart health.
- Methi is good for hair, skin and is easy to digest.
- Buy organic jowar and urad dal and good quality products from a good store.
- Check the expiry date of the packaged item before buying it.
- Also make sure there are no insects inside the packet.
Choosing healthy and delicious food for your baby is quite difficult and we are here to help you and make this easy. Here you will find all easy and quick recipes which are also delicious and healthy for your child. Instead of packaged food, serve your baby this easy homemade Jowar Idli recipe once or twice in a week.