Eating Jackfruit During Pregnancy – Is it Safe?
Every article that we publish, confirms to stringent guidelines & involves several levels of reviews, both from our Editorial team & Experts. We welcome your suggestions in making this platform more useful for all our users. Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nutritional Value of Jackfruit
- Is It Safe to Consume Jackfruit During Pregnancy?
- Benefits of Eating Jackfruit During Pregnancy
- Benefits of Eating Jackfruit Seeds During Pregnancy
- Side Effects of Eating Jackfruit During Pregnancy
- Different Ways to Include Jackfruit in Your Pregnancy Diet
- How to Select and Store Jackfruit
Eating fruits, veggies, and other nutritious foods is necessary during pregnancy. You know the reasons: a balanced diet can provide the right nutrition to the baby, healthy food can keep both the mother and the baby healthy, and more. But there are certain fruits and vegetables that pregnant women are told to avoid. In this article, we will talk about one particular exotic fruit: jackfruit. Jackfruit, especially jackfruit pickle and chips are loved by all. But if you are pregnant, you might wonder whether or not it is safe for consumption. So, read on to know!
Nutritional Value of Jackfruit
Jackfruit is very nutritious. It contains moderate amount of calories: about 155 calories in a single cup of jackfruit. But barely 5 calories come from its fat, which makes it quite a healthy option. Jackfruit is a good source of folate, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin and even Vitamin C and Vitamin A, which makes it a healthy choice. It also contains a number of minerals such as manganese copper, potassium, iron, and calcium. And the best part: it contains very less amount of saturated fats, cholesterol, and sodium.
The fibre present in jackfruit plays a vital role in stimulating digestion, and the absence of sugar makes it a great choice for women with gestational diabetes.
Is It Safe to Consume Jackfruit During Pregnancy?
Many women, certain experts, and even a few doctors usually suggest pregnant women to not consume jackfruit, simply because there isn’t enough evidence to prove its benefits. Some women also believe that consumption of jackfruit during pregnancy causes miscarriage, but that’s not true. Jackfruit, when consumed in healthy amounts, won’t cause any harm to the mother or the baby.
Benefits of Eating Jackfruit During Pregnancy
If you have doubts about consuming jackfruit during pregnancy, read its benefits. Consuming jackfruit during pregnancy, especially in the third trimester can offer a load of nutrients and benefits to the body. Here are some benefits of jackfruit.
1. Provides Relief From Stomach Problems
Eating jackfruit in the right quantity can help alleviate various stomach problems, such as stomach ulcers present on the stomach lining during pregnancy.
2. Helps in the Growth and Development of the Baby
Jackfruit can provide you with calcium, zinc, iron, beta-carotene, etc. These minerals can help in the growth of your baby. It is also a rich source of various vitamins like Vitamin A and C, and folate, iron. All these nutrients help in the formation of necessary organs of the baby.
3. Helps Regulate Blood Pressure Levels
An increase in blood pressure levels of a pregnant woman can be detrimental for the foetus and result in various complications. However, by consuming healthy foods like jackfruit can help keep blood pressure levels in check and ensure that both the mother and the baby are healthy.
4. Helps Fight Fatigue
Pregnancy can be very exhausting for a woman. If you are pregnant, you might feel lazy or fatigued because you will be supporting your baby. But by eating healthy fruits and veggies like jackfruit can provide you with energy and prevent fatigue.
5. Stimulates Digestion
Constipation and digestion-related issues are common during pregnancy. If you also experience constipation or digestion problems, you can fibrous fruits and veggies such as jackfruit to fight digestion-related issues. The fibre content in jackfruit can meet nearly 10 per cent of the daily fibre intake. This will help streamline your bowel movements, relieve constipation, and optimise digestive processes.
6. Helps Lower Stress
The nine months of pregnancy can easily get stressful for you, but it is not good for you or your baby. If you feel stressed, you can meditate or try yoga. You can also eat include certain foods like jackfruit in your diet to lower stress. Jackfruit seeds are especially beneficial, as they contain protein and various other micronutrients, which help manage mental stress.
7. Strengthens the Immune System
Vitamin C is necessary to strengthen the immune system, especially during pregnancy. While pregnant, you can consume fruits like, jackfruit, which is rich in vitamin – it will boost your immunity.
Benefits of Eating Jackfruit Seeds During Pregnancy
Jackfruit seeds also offer lots of benefits to a pregnant woman. Some of the benefits of consuming jackfruit seeds are mentioned below.
- Helps Fight Anaemia – Jackfruit seeds, being rich in iron, and they help combat anaemia. The iron content optimises the production of red blood cells. Iron-deficiency is a common problem during pregnancy and it could be detrimental for a baby’s health. RBCs are strongly required for optimal development of the fetus, which is why pregnant women are told to consume iron-rich foods. You can include jackfruit seeds in your diet, as it is a good source of iron and can keep your iron levels in check.
- Good for Skin and Hair – Consuming jackfruit seeds is a natural way will keep your skin glowing. If you want to have great hair and healthy skin, consume foods rich in minerals like jackfruit seeds.
- Helps Treat Cold and Viral Infection – Eating jackfruit seeds can help cure cold and viral infections during pregnancy.
Side Effects of Eating Jackfruit During Pregnancy
Although jackfruit offers various benefits to a pregnant woman, that does not mean it is completely safe for consumption. Here are some of the risks of consuming jackfruit during pregnancy.
- Eating jackfruit can sometimes fluctuate a woman’s sugar levels. Hence, it should be avoided by diabetic women.
- Jackfruit is known to accelerate the coagulation of blood. Although this is beneficial for most people, if you have a pre-existing blood-related health condition, you must avoid eating jackfruit.
- Eating jackfruit in excessive amounts can lead to diarrhoea and excretory problems since it tends to act as a natural laxative.
- Certain women do have the possibility of an allergy from jackfruit.
Different Ways to Include Jackfruit in Your Pregnancy Diet
Jackfruit can be consumed in a variety of forms, including as a raw fruit or a ripe one, or by cooking a vegetable from it. Having jackfruit chips during pregnancy is also fine, but you should eat them in limited quantities. You can also consume jackfruit slices garnished with grated coconut.
How to Select and Store Jackfruit
While buying jackfruit, pick the one that is yet to ripen and is fresh and heavy, with dark green colour and hard thorns. For eating right away, choose a ripe one with soft thorns. You can store it for longer if you refrigerate it.
Jackfruit is healthy and can offer a lot of benefits to you during pregnancy. That being said, you should not consume it in excessive quantities, as it can affect your health negatively. Whatever you eat, eat in moderate amounts and you will be fine. Furthermore, before including any food in your pregnancy diet, consult a doctor or a nutritionist and you won’t have any doubts. Have a healthy pregnancy!
Consuming Durian Fruit during Pregnancy
Eating Litchi Fruit during Pregnancy
Consuming Mango during Pregnancy
Eating Pineapple During Pregnancy