Weight-Gaining and Nutritious Recipes for Babies Aged 6 Months and Older
Babies are a bundle of joy! Until six months of age, they will be consuming only breast milk, so there won’t be much worry surrounding their nutrition. The real dilemma comes when we introduce solid foods. Here, I am going to share a few recipes that you can try feeding your little ones. These are the recipes which I give to my baby; you can take ideas from here, and prepare the dishes according to your preference. As the days pass, you will definitely know what your baby likes to eat, and prepare accordingly!
1. Mashed Green Peas
- 5 to 6 tbsp green peas
- Unsalted butter/ghee
Boil the green peas until fully cooked. After cooling, grind to a smooth paste. Add a teaspoon of ghee or unsalted butter. A pinch of jeera (optional) is good for digestion and prevents flatulence.
2. Ragi/Finger Millet Porridge
- 2 tbsp of ragi
- 1/2 tsp of chickpeas (chole) or sprouts
- Few pieces of beetroot or carrot
- 1/4 tsp of jaggery or palm jaggery
- 1 tsp of ghee or clarified butter
3. Tasty Apple Puree
- Few pieces of apple
- Unsalted butter
4. Ragi Porridge With Banana
- 2 tbsp of ragi millet
- One small banana
5. Mixed Dal/Lentils With Rice or Veggies
- 2 tbsp of lentils (green gram/yellow lentils/red lentils, etc.)
- 2 tbsp of rice (optional)
- Jaggery and ghee
- Ghee or butter is very beneficial for brain development. It also helps to boost metabolism. Ghee is rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Jaggery, especially palm jaggery, is a rich source of calcium, which is very essential for the overall growth of babies.
- Green leafy vegetables are rich in fibre. They are very good for avoiding constipation.
- Lentils are a rich source of proteins.
- Rice provides the required carbohydrates to the body.