Watermelon is everyone’s favourite fruit in the summers. It belongs to the family of pumpkin and squash. Watermelon is loaded with vitamins, minerals, fibres, and plant compounds, and is extremely beneficial for health. Here are some benefits about watermelon, you should know about.
Benefits of Watermelon
- It contains 92% water, and helps us stay hydrated during summers.
- One cup of Watermelon contains only 46 calories, making it a great food option for weight loss.
- Watermelon is rich in vitamin C. This antioxidant property prevents free radical damage to cells and helps in cell repair.
- Vitamin A present in watermelon nourishes skin and hair, and prevents skin dryness and hair fall.
- Carotene, a plant compound present in it, especially beta carotene gets converted to vitamin A in the human body.
- Lycopene is another plant compound present in watermelon, imparting red colour to the fruit. It has antioxidant, as well as anti-cancer properties. Lycopene improves eye health by preventing macular degeneration. It also regulates cholesterol levels and improves heart health.
- Citrulline is an amino acid present in the whitish flesh, close to the rind. It helps to relieve muscle soreness.
- Cucurbitacin E, a plant compound in watermelon, has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Potassium, present in watermelon, balances the effects of sodium, hence regulating blood pressure.
- Watermelon is rich in Magnesium, which regulates blood sugar and improves muscle performance.
- The high fibre and water content in watermelon, relieves constipation and improves digestion.
- Not only the fruit, watermelon seeds have health benefits too. They are rich in iron and folates. Roasted watermelon seeds are great for weight loss.
Points to Keep in Mind While Choosing Watermelon
- Choose a firm and dull appearing melon that is uniform in appearance.
- Look for the yellowish field spot, which indicates that the fruit was plucked in a ripe stage.
- Brownish lines on it are signs of pollination and the fruit will be sweet in taste.
Enjoy watermelon in a fruit salad, smoothie, or simply diced it into pieces, and have it as a snack, any time of the day. This is definitely one of the healthiest and tastiest fruits available!
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.