Nowadays, it has become a very common practice to feed packaged baby food in addition to milk. In the process of making this baby food mix, most of the nutrients are lost; hence, most of the companies add synthetic nutrients, which many times can’t be absorbed by babies. A major portion of baby food is wheat, which due to being very finely ground, sticks to the wall of the intestine. After only a week of grinding wheat into flour, it becomes devoid of most of the nutrients and is not as healthy as homemade food mix. It would be advisable to give babies satvik, homemade baby food which has been prepared with time tested traditional methods.
The process to make the baby food mix:
1. 1 cup rice
2. 2 tbsp chana dal
3. 2 tbsp tur dal
4. 2 tbsp masoor dal
5. 6 tbsp wheat
6. 6 tbsp moong dal
Step by step method:
• Take all the above ingredients in a large bowl.
• Wash them 5-6 times with normal water.
• Take a dry towel or any cotton fabric, and dry all the washed ingredients.
• Then, dry roast them on low flame, until it becomes aromatic and light brown in colour.
• Blend and strain the mixture.
• Now, the baby food mix is ready to use. Store this baby food mix in a dry jar in a cool place.
Note: Although this baby food mix can be stored for a longer period of time it’s advisable to make enough for seven days each time.
Recipe to make baby food from the above baby food mix
• Take a pan
• Add 1 cup water and bring it to a boil.
• Add 1 tbsp of baby food mix into it.
• Cook it for 7-8 min.
• Add rock salt to taste (rock salt is healthier than usual salt)
• Add 1/2 spoon shudh cow ghee to it. (You can also add regular cooking oil, but cow ghee is a healthy option)
• The food is ready to serve to your baby
I used to add rock salt and shudh cow ghee for my baby. You can feed this baby food to your baby once or twice a day. This recipe is ideal for a 6-month-old baby. You can increase the quantity as per the age and appetite of your baby.
You can also add a pinch of cumin seeds powder and black pepper powder to it. As the baby gets older, you can add boiled veggies (potato, carrot, sweet potato, blanched spinach, etc.) into this baby food.
Just make this mix on Sunday or whenever you have free time, and store it for the whole week. You can cook it within 10 minutes whenever your baby is hungry.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.