Last Updated on
Immunity is our body’s response against a microbe or any other foreign agent. It can be innate i.e. natural (active) or acquired i.e. (passive). Immunity protects us from infections and allergies. We all know that we are facing a deadly virus these days and so the entire nation is under lockdown. We are confined to our homes and boundaries and the situation is totally unavoidable. However, we can definitely try and adapt to strengthen our immune systems.
There are numerous foods that help in enhancing immunity and are, hence, known as immunity boosters. Many of them are easily found in our kitchens. Here is a list of different immunity enhancers:
1) Ginger: It contains an active compound called gingerol, which has powerful medicinal properties and therefore, helps in increasing immunity. It can be consumed raw, in cooking and can be used in water and tea. And guess what, we can easily buy it from local vendors.
2) Turmeric: It contains curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory properties and hence, helps in keeping infections at bay. Besides, it is also beneficial in preventing cancer, diabetes and other diseases.
3) Garlic: it contains anti-inflammatory compounds and helps in fighting infections like common cold etc. It can be used in raw or cooked form. It can also be used as a pickle.
4) Almonds: They contain vitamins, minerals, protein and fibre, so it would not be an exaggeration to call it a superfood. They help in boosting our immunity as well as in preventing serious diseases.
5) Lemon: how can we forget this wonderful citrus food, rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C helps in preventing and fighting various infections and diseases. Lemons are also a rich source of calcium, potassium, magnesium and phosphorous. They also help in absorbing iron from food.
6) Spices: Indian kitchens are full of a number of spices like pepper, cloves, fennel seeds, cinnamon and many more. These spices impart flavours and aromas to different dishes, but they have a great role in boosting immunity.
There are many other immunity boosters but the above mentioned are found easily and affordable. But one should keep in mind to use them in moderation. Stay home, stay safe and stay healthy!
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.