How to Increase Your Breast Milk Supply Naturally
To all the mommies out there, I would like to share some tips that will help you increase your breast milk production naturally. Each and every mother wants to give the best to her child and we all know, nothing can be more nutritious and super food than breast milk.
I am a new-age mother, and I used to party a lot and lived a full cosmopolitan life till the time I entered motherhood. When I was pregnant especially in my last trimester, I read a lot of blogs on parenting to make sure that I give the best to my little one.
Breast milk is the only source of nutrition for babies up until they turn 6 months old. But all those mothers who are unable to feed their babies shouldn’t worry. Whether you breastfeed or bottle feed, no one on this planet can love and care for your baby as much as you would do. So, you must enjoy your motherhood phase to the fullest.
Now, I will come back to my tips on how to increase your breast milk. Mentioned below are a few tried and tested remedies.
- Sabudana – I am sure all the Indians are aware of sabudana. We usually make it while fasting. Now here is a quick recipe to increase your breast milk with these small wonders. You can soak a handful of medium-sized sabudana in water for about 6-8 hours. Then boil in milk. Add sugar and elaichi (for flavour). Let it simmer for sometime, then drink. For better results, drink this during daytime. If you drink it in the evening, you may catch a cold.
- Masoor Dal – It is available in all the Indian kitchens. These beautiful orange-coloured legumes are a rich source of protein and can help increase your breast milk production. Here’s how you can consume this dal. Add one teaspoon of ghee in pressure cooker. Add a pinch of hing and a teaspoon of cumin seeds. Once the colour of cumin seeds changes, add soaked lentils (as per your requirement) and add water (double the amount of lentils), and cook for two-three whistles. Stir it and consume this dal.
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – This spice is a boon for all the new mothers. I use these for dual purpose- (a) As a moderator to increase by breast milk (b) to reduce my belly fat. Since this blog is all about increasing breast milk, I will share the recipe for increasing your breast milk supply. Soak some cumin seeds for 3-4 hours, then boil these soaked seeds for 10-15 mins. Strain the seeds and your drink will be ready. Sip it once it is lukewarm. Don’t burn your mouth (I have done this mistake). For it to show results, drink it before going to bed.
- Fennel Seeds ( Saunf) – I just love these beautiful green seeds. Earlier, saunf used to be my favourite mouth freshener, and now it helps me with breast milk production. Add a teaspoon of saunf in boiling water, then turn off the gas flame, and cover it with a lid. After 20 minutes, open the lid, strain, and enjoy this tasty drink. You can have this anytime. I used to have this drink in place of my evening tea.
- Water – I hope that you all are aware of the fact that water is one of the most important constituents of your breast milk. This means, you need to keep yourself hydrated. If a normal person drinks 8-12 glasses of water in a day, then new mommies should drink at least 10-15 glasses of water for improved lactation. Here’s a tip for you – When you start feeding your baby, drink a glass of water as it will help increase the flow.
- Green Vegetables – Vegetables like drumsticks, pumpkin, etc. will help increase your breast milk production. So, try and consume as much green and leafy veggies as you can during your lactation period.
Apart from the above-mentioned ways, there are several other things which can help you to increase your milk flow. I have listed the ones that I have tried and tested. So all new mommies try these and let me know if these remedies work for you.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.