The Many Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit
The Dragon Fruit, apart from having a unique name, has a unique look and taste. Moreover, it has amazing benefits.
The Dragon Fruit plant is grown mainly in Southern Mexico and Central America. But now it is grown all over the world. It has three more names – Pitaya, Pitahaya, and Strawberry Pear. Its bright red body with green scales resembles a dragon. It has white pulp with black seeds inside it. Its taste feels like you’re eating a Kiwi and a Pear. Another variety is the Yellow Dragon Fruit which has a yellow body with white pulp and black seeds.
How to Eat
Its scales are to be removed and cut into pieces after removing a thin layer of the red body. It can be served in salads. If you find its taste strange, as it tastes like a combination of Kiwi and Pear, then you can sprinkle some salt and black pepper for an amazing taste.
- Filled with Anti-oxidants: Betalains are found in its pulp. It protects against LDL Cholesterol to become oxidized and damaged.
- Hydroxycinnamates: This compound has shown anti-cancer activity in a test tube or animal studies.
- Flavonoids: They promote better brain health and reduced risk of heart disease.
- It is found in protecting certain fatty acids from radical damage.
- Both the red and white varieties of this fruit reduce insulin resistance and fatty liver.
- It contains prebiotic fiber that promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut which potentially improving metabolism.
- It improves Type 2 diabetes.
Protein- 3.57 gram
Fat- 0 gram
Carbohydrate- 82.14 gram
Dietary fiber- 1.8 grams
Calcium- 107 milligrams
Iron- 0 grams
Sodium- 39 grams
Vitamin C- 6.4 milligrams
Cholesterol- 0 milligrams
- Dragon Fruit with an extremely low amount of cholesterol keeps you happy and healthy. It is a perfect fruit to maintain your weight.
- It has amazing superpowers to help reduce bad cholesterol levels and replenish good levels. Being an excellent source of monounsaturated fats, it helps the heart stay in good condition.
- Eat Dragon Fruit, if you want to clean up your digestive systems. Due to its high fiber content, it helps with poor digestion and constipation.
- Eating Dragon Fruit can keep the skin tight and young. You can even make a face mask by adding honey for anti-aging properties.
- If its pulp is applied to the scalp, then it helps follicles open, allowing your hairs to breathe and remain healthy and soft.
- Adding this fruit to the diet can bring great benefits to arthritis patients. It is referred to as anti-inflammatory fruit.
- With its properties of Vitamin C, it is used as an ointment for curing acne.
- Adding cucumber juice and honey to it and make a mask to soothe sunburned skin.
Dragon Fruit can be commonly found everywhere. You can consume it in its raw form, or smoothie or jam too.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.