This is from my experience in breastfeeding my late preterm baby. Breastfeeding a preterm baby is quite challenging as the baby can’t suck milk. A mother will have to make her baby learn how to latch on to the breast properly. In flat nippled mother’s case, it could lead to serious issues if the baby does not latch and suck properly. If milk production is low to medium in mom, then need not to worry. Baby will take a month time to learn to suck. But, if milk production is high, and if baby does not suck properly, then breast abscess will be formed in mother when she did not take excess milk out from her breast every time since clogged milk will create infection inside the breast.
I want to share a few tips to solve these problems:
- Never give same side breastfeeding. Give alternate sides everytime you breastfeed.
- During pregnancy, mothers-to-be must do breast examination to check whether they have flat nipples. If so, then they have to do the below:
- For erecting flat nipple, use two syringes connected together.place on to the nipple, and make the nipple erect. Keep doing this for a few weeks.
- Use silicone nipple on the flat nipple, which will be easy for the baby to suck on.
- Use a breast pump to let out the extra milk in the breast so that you will not have breast abscess due to clogged milk.
- Never ever take Cabgolin tablet during breastfeeding since it will completely stop the milk supply in mother.
- Maintain hygiene before and after breastfeeding.
- For low milk supply, a mother can have lactate tablets which will give a tremendous amount of milk. Also, have Pro-PL powder or galaxy powder mixed in milk twice a day. Consult your doctor before taking any of these.
- Also, they can have bread with milk, idiyappam with milk, 1 big glass of filter coffee which will produce more milk.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.