Breast Milk Jewellery for Nursing Mothers – What It is & How to Make It
Breastfeeding is one of the most nurturing and fulfilling experiences that every mother goes through in her life. And some women may feel the urge to commemorate their experience into something that can be cherished for the years to come and that is where breast milk jewellery comes into the picture. If you wish to make a keepsake that becomes a testimony of a special bond between you and your baby, you can think of getting some breast milk jewellery! This post will give you some insight into the topic.
What is Breast Milk Jewellery?
Breast milk jewellery is jewellery that usually contains an accent stone that is fashioned or filled with breast milk. This concept is not unheard of and has been there for some time. However, it has gained more popularity in the recent times. There are many renowned online and offline stores that are offering the facility of making this customisable jewellery option for mothers!
Why Do Women Choose to Get Breast Milk Jewellery?
Women are emotional beings. They like to treasure memorable experience in their lives and motherhood is certainly on the top of the charts! However, every woman may have her own reasons to get something so personal and exquisite. Where for some women this jewellery can be a way of reminding them of one of the most beautiful phases of their lives, others may get it made to remind them of the perseverance, patience and hard work that comes with becoming a mother!
How is Breast Milk Preserved for Making Jewellery?
If you are wondering how jewellery is made from breast milk, well, every jewellery artist may follow their own techniques of fashioning jewellery from breast milk, however, the basic method of preserving the milk may be more or less the same. Here is how it is usually done:
- The expressed breast milk is stored in a zip lock pouch or container and shipped to the jewellery artist.
- The milk is then mixed with chemicals that help in hardening or plasticising the milk.
- Then, the milk is mixed with resin, which helps in moulding it in any shape that the jewellery is desired to be in.
How is Breast Milk Jewellery Made?
Whether it is a breast milk necklace DIY or ring that you wish to make, here’s how it is done:
- Usually, an ounce of breast milk is required to make jewellery.
- The milk undergoes the extreme process of heating and cooling by using chemicals for preserving the milk.
- These processes help the milk to come in a state that it becomes easier to mould and shape as required and can be used for making a breast milk necklace, ring, earrings, etc.
Breast Milk Jewellery Precautions
Here are some precautions that you should exercise with breast milk jewellery to save it from spoiling, so you can enjoy it for a long time:
- Do not expose the jewellery to direct sunlight for long, as it may lead to discolouration.
- Refrain from wearing the jewellery in a sauna or during high-intensity sports, as excessive sweating may spoil the lustre of the stone.
- Keep the jewellery away from perfumes, oils, creams, hair sprays or other such kinds of chemical substances.
- Use very mild cleaners and a soft cloth to clean the jeweller. Plus, any sharp-edged objects may spoil the jewellery.
DIY Breast Milk Jewellery
If you are looking for ways to make breast milk jewellery without a kit, here’s how you can do it:
DIY Breast Milk Pendant
Here’s how to make a breast milk pendant:
What You Will Need
- A hollow pendant or locket (grab it from your local craft store)
- Breast milk (preferably fresh)
- A dropper
- A bowl
- A small rod for mixing
- Take the resin and hardener, and mix them as per the instructions on the label. Usually, the mixture will harden within half an hour. However, if you are using epoxy resin, it may take up to a day to harden.
- Add breast milk to the resin mixture and mix it thoroughly to achieve the desired consistency. You can also add any embellishments or colour, etc. at this point.
- Take the dropper and suck in the mixture.
- Transfer the desired amount in the hollow pendant.
- Leave it out in the sun or any dry place to harden and dry completely.
- After it dries up, wear it in a chain or necklace of your choice!
DIY Breast Milk Ring
If you wish to make a breast milk ring, follow this simple method:
What You Will Need
- Breast milk
- Preservation powder
- Any mould that you desire
- Gallery bezel-style finger ring
- Parchment sheet
- Boil the breast milk and preservation powder together in a double boiler.
- Keep stirring until it becomes of a thick paste consistency
- Spread the paste thinly on the parchment sheet and leave it to dry and harden in a cool and dry place.
- Once it dries up, powder it finely or coarsely, depending on the kind of look you want.
- Mix the resin and hardener as per the instruction.
- Add the powdered breast milk to the resin mixture and mix well. If you wish to add some glitter or shimmer, you can add that at this juncture.
- Pour the mixture in the mould and tap it gently to remove any air bubbles. Leave it overnight to dry completely.
- Gently take out the hardened breast milk from the mould and secure it in the finger ring. You can use a spoon to press and fasten the prongs of the ring.
- Your pretty breast milk ring is ready to be adorned!
If you have any queries in mind regarding breast milk jewellery, here are answers to some FAQs or frequently asked question on breast milk jewellery:
1. How to Maintain Breast Milk Jewellery Properly?
When you decide on getting something made as exclusive as breast milk jewellery, it is important to take the utmost care of it. Here are some easy ways of maintaining the jewellery properly:
- Keep your jewellery away from any kind of smoke exposure, as prolonged exposure may discolour the resin stone.
- Chemical exposure is also not good for your precious jewellery. Therefore, take care of your jewellery around any harsh chemicals.
- Though when mixed with resin, breast milk becomes hard and sturdy, you must be careful from getting any bruises or bumps on the jewellery pieces.
2. Can I Wear Breast Milk Jewellery While Bathing?
You should not wear breast milk jewellery while bathing as it may get damaged! This is because it is usually very difficult to obtain a perfect seal while making this kind of jewellery and water exposure may tamper with its composition. However, any kind of occasional, short-term exposure such as sweating, rain, humidity, etc. may not spoil the jewellery.
3. How to Polish Breast Milk Jewellery?
Here’s how you can polish breast milk jewellery:
- For gold or rose gold jewellery, use warm soapy water and a soft-bristled brush.
- For silver jewellery, use a silver polishing cloth.
- For brass jewellery, tomato pulp work wonders in getting a sparkly shine.
- Do not use any cleaner or scrubber to clean the resin as it may spoil the stone. Use a soft cloth to clean the stone.
4. Where to Find the Best Breast Milk Jewellery Maker?
There are many reputable jewellery stores and online stores that offer the facility of making customised breast milk jewellery. Get in touch with any of such stores and get yourself a keepsake for life!
5. Does Breast Milk Jewellery Smell?
If made properly with the correct preservation procedure, breast milk jewellery does not smell. However, if the process was not done properly there is a high risk of rotting, discolouration, and bacterial growth, which can make your jewellery stink.
6. What Does Breast Milk Jewellery Look Like?
The appearance of breast milk jewellery is quite similar to opal or a creamy-white stone. However, the colour of the jewellery may also depend on the milk (some women may have yellower milk) or any shimmer or glitter that the jeweller may add to it while making.
Breast milk jewellery reminds mothers of a memorable time in their life. It is magical to adorn and even make something so beautiful that represents a special bond of mother and child. You can make breast milk jewellery or ask your local jeweller to make it for you!