In this Article
Last Updated on
If you’re looking for a tasty breakfast recipe for your little baby then Besan Palak dhokla can be a good way to include green leafy vegetables in their daily diet. Originating from Gujarat, this traditional dish is a steamed lentil cake that is made from spinach puree, gram flour and yogurt. Highly recommended by nutritionists over the years, the main ingredients of this snack item are extremely nutritious and rich in protein, vitamins and minerals. As compared to deep frying, the steaming process of this snack makes it a preferred dish for the entire family. This dish can be given to toddlers who will relish its spicy, tangy and mildly sweet taste. The ingredients for Besan Palak Dhokla for babies can be easily found at home and is a delight to bite into.
Type of Meal
Any baby from 11 months onwards
Breakfast or playtime
|Ingredients||Quantity and Volume|
|Besan Flour||2 cups|
|Lemon Juice||1 tablespoon|
|Ginger||1 inch piece|
|Coriander Leaves||1 fistful|
|Fruit Salt||1 pinch|
|Sesame Seeds||1 table spoon|
|Cooking Oil||2 teaspoons|
If you’re a doting mother who wants to know how to make besan palak dhokla for your baby, then these step by step directions will be extremely handy.
- Blanch spinach leaves along with the stalk and let it cool.
- Make a paste of the spinach, ginger and salt to blend them in the grinder.
- Add hung curd, spinach puree, oil, gram flour and water to make a smooth batter.
- Now add in sugar (optional), lemon juice and salt to the batter and let it rest for about 5-10 minutes.
- Grease the steamer plates and prepare them with water.
- Stir in some fruit salt into the batter.
- Pour out the batter into the greased plates of the steamer and steam it for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the palak dhokla from the steamer and allow it to cool down for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida till they crackle and turn off the heat.
- Slowly add three tablespoons of water to the seasoning as it helps the dhokla to be moist and soft
- Pour out the seasoning on the dhokla and cut them into squares.
- Garnish the cut pieces with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve them hot or cold.
Mentioned below is a quick checklist that needs to be remembered with your simple Besan palak dhokla recipe to get the optimum taste.
- Remember to use only hung curd that has all the water drained out.
- Sieve the besan flour so that the batter is smooth without any lumps.
- Do not use tap water for making the batter for the dhokla.
- Do not steam the dhokla for more than 9-10 minutes.
- Wash your hands well before cooking. Even the utensils should be properly cleaned before using them.
- Wash the leafy ingredients like spinach and coriander leaves thoroughly to remove silt.
- Half steamed dhoklas would be soggy, tasteless and difficult to digest.
Nutrition Information (Per 1 serving)
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||1.4 mg|
This home-made Besan Palak dhokla recipe can be your perfect guide in preparing this dish that fulfils the nutrition needs of your baby’s body.
- Spinach is said to be the powerhouse of nutrients like iron, protein and vitamins A, C , K as well as minerals like manganese and magnesium that assist in building body’s immunity.
- Packed with fibre, gram flour is a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour that helps in smooth bowel movements.
- The fermentation of the besan enhances its nutritive values which are vital for the growth and development of a baby’s body.
- As dhoklas have a low glycemic index (release glucose at a sustained rate), they are good for diabetics.
- As they are steamed and not fried, and minimum oil is used only for garnishing, dhoklas are low in unhealthy calories and high in nutrition.
- As Dhoklas are fluffy and soft, they feel light on your baby’s stomach.
- Gram flour keeps the stomach of babies full for a longer time.
- Organic products for the ingredients used, bought from a good store, ensures their safe quality.
- The spinach used in the dhokla should be green and fresh.
- Choose healthy culinary oil that contains mono-saturated fats.
- Check the expiry date of the gram flour before buying it.
This yummy recipe with its tempting flavours is an energy-boosting food that goes well with green chutney. So, instead of buying harmful processed food bought from the market, give your baby a plateful of sumptuous besan palak dhokla a few times a week. The dish is sure to become your baby’s favourite snack.