- What Does Lip Quivering Mean?
- Signs and Symptoms of Baby Lip Quivering
- Reasons Why an Infant’s Lower Lip Quivers
- How Trembling of Lips is Diagnosed in Infants
- Complications of Lip Quivering in Babies
- Treatment Options for Baby Lip Trembling
- When Does Newborn Lip Trembling Stop?
- How to Prevent Lip Quivering in Babies
- Points to Remember
Last Updated on
When you become parents, your life revolves around your baby. If anything happens to him, you immediately want to take him to a doctor. If you notice your baby’s lip quivering, you will obviously wonder if the action is normal or if it requires a doctor’s attention. While any kind of tremors and jitters might raise alarms in your head, it is important to know why they exist in the first place.
What Does Lip Quivering Mean?
In certain situations, you might notice that your baby’s lower lip begins to tremble or quiver rhythmically. It might seem as if he is about to start crying, but that will not be the case. If this tends to repeat often over a few days, such a condition is termed as lip quivering in a baby.
Signs and Symptoms of Baby Lip Quivering
The signs and symptoms of lip quivering or lower jaw trembling in a baby will be evident from his behaviour. Those can also be accompanied by a few others, at times.
- A slight tremor that exists primarily in the areas of the legs, chin, and lips, keeps occurring at a certain rhythm.
- The tremors or quivering continues for a few seconds and then stops.
- Such quivering exists primarily when the surrounding environment has changed its temperature, or the baby is hungry or irritated.
Reasons Why an Infant’s Lower Lip Quivers
If your infant’s lower lip has been quivering incessantly, there is a good possibility of a medical reason being behind it.
1. Presence of Birth-related Defects
One of the reasons why a child’s lower lip quivers without control is defects that might be present since birth. These usually cause the movements of the child to be jittery as well. These birth complications could range from an improper level of blood sugar in the body to a major calcium deficiency as well. In a few cases, if the supply of oxygen in the baby’s body has been cut off during birth, it could cause this condition to set in, too.
2. A Nervous System That is Yet to Develop Fully
While birth-related defects are a valid reason for the quivering lip, most cases end up being a case of the child’s nervous system struggling to catch up with progress. These shakes, jitters and quivers may not stay restricted only to the lip, and make their presence all over the body, including the jaws, hands, legs, and so on. All of these are a result of the nerve signals being sent erratically to various body parts, from a nervous system that doesn’t have the full capability yet. Most of the times, these symptoms fade away in a few months after birth.
How Trembling of Lips is Diagnosed in Infants
Doctors usually conduct a bunch of examinations in order to diagnose trembling lips in babies. The major step before delving further is to be able to separate a pathological tremor from an actual physical one. This will help in charting a path, depending on the possible cause of the tremor.
- In most cases, doctors tend to bring in a neurological expert to diagnose the infant, especially if the quivering has existed for more than three months. He can then use various details, ranging from pregnancy complications, labour duration, and many others to form an opinion.
- Tremors and quivering are all linked to the functioning of the nervous systems. Therefore, multiple tests can be conducted to determine the state of the brain, including blood tests of a particular kind, electrolyte examination, or cerebrospinal fluid tests, which take into account various interdependent factors as well.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) might be used to determine the physical structure of the brain. Neural sonography can also opted for.
- Further diagnosis might require conducting a test of the nutritional presence in the blood vessels located in the head. These could be combined with an x-ray of the neck, as well as an EEG to compare neural signals.
Complications of Lip Quivering in Babies
Seeing a baby’s jaw trembling will alarm you, of course. Most doctors will examine the baby right away and diagnose the issue. In most cases, if no anomalies are detected in the child, it is just a matter of time before your baby’s tremors disappear completely.
However, if the quivering is a result of a pathological problem, then there is a risk of further complications existing due to it. A child might suffer from perinatal encephalopathy, resulting in malfunctioning of the brain. At times, it could even cause hyperglycaemia or cerebral haemorrhage in worst cases.
Treatment Options for Baby Lip Trembling
While most conditions of a trembling lip in a child do tend to fade away a couple of months following the birth, there are some treatment options you can opt for, in case it continues even after three months or so.
1. Replenishing the Deficiencies in the Body
At times, doctors might determine that the presence of certain deficiencies might be the reason why the quivers have set in a child’s body. In such a case, supplements might be prescribed for some major elements, such as magnesium, calcium, glucose, and so on. These will be infused intravenously for faster response, which helps in quick synthesis within the tissues of the nervous system. Similarly, it allows them to absorb oxygen easily as well.
2. Advanced Medical Techniques
In a few extreme cases, the presence of internal pressure within the cranium might be detected in the child. This can lead to severe seizures later on, as well. Therefore, it becomes necessary to administer certain corticosteroids to correct the problem as well as carry out punctures in the spinal cord for treatment. Medications meant to counter any convulsions might be used as well, along with other drugs that enhance blood flow to the brain and even make use of physical therapy.
When Does Newborn Lip Trembling Stop?
Lip trembling in a newborn baby tends to disappear after a couple of months or so. By then, the nervous system has matured enough for such symptoms to fade away fully.
How to Prevent Lip Quivering in Babies
In case a baby’s lower jaw or lip is shaking repeatedly, it is best to hold him close to you and calm him down. Massaging and bathing can yield good results as well. Make sure the diet of the child is balanced properly and there are no deficiencies present.
Points to Remember
Remember to stay calm and keep your baby calm if you notice that his lip is quivering. Go ahead and touch the area that is trembling, which could even make it stop temporarily. Talk to other parents and figure out if they encountered something similar, too.
If you are trying to find out why a baby’s bottom lip quivers, then you will have to take your baby to a doctor and after certain medical checkups, he may help you determine why this might be happening. However, you must know that quivering is pretty normal in most babies, and it will fade away in good time.
Also Read: Benefits of Massage for Your Baby