Last Updated on
You can expect your body to undergo many changes in terms of shape, size and appearance during pregnancy. You may enjoy the pregnancy glow, but the increase in hair growth may cause some discomfort. Many women consider using a hair removal cream to get rid of excess hair while pregnant because it’s convenient. Hair removal creams may have been a part of your grooming kit for years, but while pregnant, you must be wondering if you should use them during pregnancy. While pregnant, you have to tread carefully with anything and everything you do. Let’s find out if you should use hair removal creams during pregnancy!
Can You Use Hair Removal Cream in Pregnancy?
Yes, you can use hair removal creams during pregnancy as they are safe. However, their application may irritate your skin while pregnant, as, during pregnancy, a woman’s skin is highly sensitive to external products. Hair removal creams, also known as depilatories, are directly applied to the skin. It is best to evaluate the safety of the product to ensure it does not affect you or your baby in a direct or indirect manner.
Reasons for Increased Hair Growth During Pregnancy
The following are the common reasons for increased hair growth during pregnancy:
- During the first trimester, there is an increase in the level of androgen in the body, which leads to enhanced hair growth. Also, since hair fall is at a reduced rate, hair feels fuller and thicker in volume.
- Doctors prescribe vitamin supplements to women during pregnancy which causes faster hair growth. The latent hair follicles come alive due to the presence of the hormone called progesterone. This hormone is also responsible for lesser hair fall and thicker hair.
- Prolonged periods of good sleep and larger meals contribute to reduced stress levels in the pregnant woman’s body. This leads to a faster pace of hair growth.
- The excess production of androgen during pregnancy can cause the growth of hair on other parts of the body too. Hair growth on the arms, legs, stomach, face and at times nipples can lead to discomfort.
- Women with longer hair are likely to experience changes in thickness and hair texture. Body hair will disappear within 6 to 7 months of childbirth.
Benefits of Using Hair Removal Cream While Pregnant
As compared to waxing, shaving, and epilating, using hair removal creams to remove excess hair is more convenient and simple. These creams are easy to apply and are hassle-free to use. During pregnancy, the frequency of hair growth is higher and thicker. One of the reasons why pregnant women prefer using hair removal creams as compared to other methods is that it reduces the growth frequency.
The process of hair removal cream proves to be a quick and pain-free affair as against waxing and this finds favour with pregnant women. During pregnancy, some women may get anxious about their appearance and their growing body. While a woman cannot and should not bother about her growing body (it’s accomodating the baby, after all), but she is likely to get concerned about excess hair growth, which can be tackled with using hair removal creams.
How Does Hair Removal Cream Work?
Hair removal creams consist of chemicals known to work on keratin which is the structural ingredient of the hair. When the cream is applied, it causes the hair to break and detach from the skin. Manufacturers of hair removal cream use powerful masking fragrances to eliminate the chemical smell. You may experience an allergic reaction or skin irritation due to these fragrances and chemicals.
Chemicals Used in Hair Removal Creams
Barium sulfide powder and calcium thioglycolate are commonly used ingredients in a majority of hair removal creams. Hair removal creams from top brands also contain harsh chemicals. The keratin in the hair is broken down by these chemicals which separate the hair from the skin. And in order to achieve a smooth touch, you may have to apply the cream twice. Now you know about the chemicals, make sure you check with your doctor before using a hair removal cream.
Safety Measures for Using Hair Removal Cream When Pregnant
Before using hair removal creams on your body during pregnancy, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Do not use the cream to remove facial hair or on broken skin.
- Check the ingredients of the cream you are about to use if you are unsure about it.
- Read any special notes/directions and follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the tube or packet before using the cream.
- When it comes to hair removal creams, pick a product that is suitable for sensitive skin. When in doubt, check with your doctor.
- Apply a tiny patch on the arm before using it on other parts of your body. Do this even if you have used the cream prior to your pregnancy.
- While using the cream, make sure the room is properly ventilated as the strong smell can leave you feeling light-headed and nauseous.
- The manufacturers of the hair removal creams recommend that the cream should be left on the skin for a specific period. Follow this strictly and use a timer if needed.
- Hair removing creams with a strong smell can cause headaches or vomiting. It is best to check the powerful smells before you buy one.
- As an alert mother-to-be, speak to your doctor about using creams that will not harm your baby in any manner. This is important during the first trimester when the foetus is undergoing a lot of changes.
Although pregnancy is the most beautiful and rewarding phase of your life, it is important to treat it with caution and care. You will want to socialise and go out with your partner for which you will want to look your best. You should deal with the excessive hair growth in the same manner as other pregnancy-related changes. Don’t let it worry you. You are strong and beautiful and soon you will have a baby. Think about your baby, and you will look and feel radiant!