In this Article
There are many natural ways to improve fertility. Around 15% of the couples are affected by fertility issues. Although there are many treatments available, home remedies are always trusted and also effective. Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and anti-bacterial agent and is widely known for its medicinal properties. It also improves fertility. To know more, read on!
What is Turmeric?
Native to Southeast Asia, turmeric is a plant belonging to the ginger family. This is mainly used as a whole or in the powdered form. Turmeric is deep yellow or orange in colour and is extremely popular in Indian houses for its medicinal benefits; it is even a staple ingredient in most dishes.
How Does Turmeric Help Improve Male Fertility
Infertility is not just a problem in females, it also affects males. But there is no need to be despondent. The lack of knowledge about the subject is also a cause of the problem. However, first, you must find out what causes fertility in men and how you can combat it.
Infertility in men can be caused by various biological and health factors, which are as follows:
- Low levels of the thyroid hormone cause problems in conception.
- Poor mental health or frequently high levels of stress can affect performance.
- A varicose vein in the testicles can prohibit the sperm from escaping the body.
- Certain medications could also be responsible for low fertility in men.
Most people do not consider the use of turmeric for male fertility, but turmeric can actually prove beneficial for men who are looking to increase their fertility. Turmeric contains various compounds that help tackle the problems listed above.
An important compound found in turmeric is ‘curcumin‘. It helps reduce anxiety and stress and improves performance. It also helps reduce damage caused by harmful free radicals in the body. Along with curcumin, vitamins E and C present in turmeric also boost antioxidants that are reduced as a result of low thyroid hormones. Turmeric is also rich in vitamin C which helps improve the sperm count in the body. Various other compounds like Eugenol, Limonene, and Quercetin reduce stress levels and keep depression away.
How Does Turmeric Help Improve Female Fertility
Women in most Indian families are criticized if they fail to conceive. Although, if the problem is in men, women are put under scrutiny. Hence, it is very important to educate one and all about the science behind the fertility issues in the body and what one can do to help it.
Infertility in women can be caused by many reasons, a few are mentioned below:
- Hormonal disorders such as Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) can heighten infertility.
- Damage to the uterus or fallopian tubes.
- Low levels of thyroid hormone production can hinder releasing of the egg.
- Excessive stress can inhibit hormonal imbalance causing infertility.
Women are given many options to “cure” the problem. Amongst many illogical solutions, turmeric for female fertility is one for the win. The antioxidants in turmeric help the body fight free radicals. Turmeric also helps treat fertility conditions like PCOS, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, and uterine fibroids.
How to Include Turmeric in Your Diet while You are Trying to Conceive
Turmeric can be infused into one’s diet daily in order to keep regular consumption in check. Here are a few dishes/drinks that one can make at home:
1. Turmeric Milk
Turmeric milk is a remedy to everything in an Indian household. Here’s how your grandmother would have suggested making it.
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 glass milk
- Sugar to taste
How to Make
- Boil the milk in a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Take it off the flame and add the turmeric and sugar to the milk.
- Mix well and serve with biscuits for a tea-time snack.
2. Masala Rice
A spicy and flavoursome option, this is for those who like their health food to be exciting for their palette.
- 1 small cup of rice
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 diced potato
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hing
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
How to Make
- In a pressure cooker, saute the onions, tomato, cumin seeds in oil with chilli powder, hing, and turmeric powder.
- Add two cups of water and the rice to this mixture. Add salt to taste.
- Cook in the pressure cooker with the lid on for 2 whistles.
- Let the cooker cool and serve with curd.
3. Breakfast Smoothie
For the health freaks and protein shake addicts, here is a healthy breakfast smoothie that not only tastes delicious but provides you with a regular dose of turmeric.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup cut pineapples
- ½ cup carrot juice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup milk
How to Make
- Add the mentioned ingredients to a blender and blend well.
- Strain the mixture through a muslin cloth.
- Serve chilled with a lime wedge.
Some questions that are asked about turmeric include:
1. Does Turmeric Cause Infertility?
This is a popular misconception among people. People often ask, “Is turmeric safe while trying to conceive?”. As discussed in the article, turmeric is actually a herbal ingredient that increases fertility. The compounds in turmeric are beneficial for both men and women. It also increases semen production in men and eliminates inadequate performance. So, don’t believe in myths. You can enjoy turmeric milk and improve your fertility.
2. Can You Use Turmeric As a Birth Control?
Turmeric is a natural product that contains various compounds that help achieve hormonal balance and also support the pregnancy. Any fact about turmeric being a contraceptive or infertility enabler is a myth. It is actually quite the opposite.
Turmeric actually boosts fertility. A regular dosage of the ingredient can not only help a person with fertility but also depression, anxiety, and any other stress-related troubles. Opt for turmeric for a healthy, cost-efficient, and effective alternative for improving fertility.
Also Read: Healthy Foods to Improve Fertility