Split-screen games, also known as couch co-op video games, are games with multiplayer options. These games let the players play with a single console where the split-screen options let the players play as opponents or teams. These games are designed to allow each player to do their own thing without the restriction of being with the other team members. They are ideal to be played with friends or family from a single console.
These games are based on puzzles, action, racing, soccer or even cooking. Kids can decide the games they like to play and experience a unique sort of competitiveness and cooperation when playing together. These games can help them understand teamwork and also develop their cognitive abilities.
Amazing Split-Screen Games for Children
Some of the amazing split-screen games for kids are:
1. Overcooked 2
Platform: PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Mac, and Windows.
- The game comes with a beautiful theme where the players act as chefs to prepare, cook and serve numerous dishes in the allotted time to many customers.
- Teamwork is required to be successful in this cooperative game. Players need to complete tasks, such as slicing ingredients, cooking, serving food, cleaning dishes, etc. together.
- The game can be played alone too, with the computer acting as the second player.
- This game is one of the best fun co-op PC games. It is full of fun and has hilarious obstacles such as fire, overbearing waiters, collapsing floors, or floating surfaces, adding to the chaos.
- The game is useful in developing coordination, team playing skills and communication in kids.
2. Mario Kart 8
Platform: Nintendo Switch and Wii U
- Mario Kart 8 is one of the fun split-screen games for kids where the kids enjoy racing and throwing stuff, such as banana peels, or flying turtles at other players.
- This is an easy game which can be played by younger kids also.
- It is userfriendly and has easy control options for up to 4 players on the TV mode.
- The game helps sharpen visual-motor skills in kids.
3. Just Dance 2019
Platform: Nintendo Switch, Wii U, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Mobile, and PC.
- This multiplayer game is based on dancing, and several players can participate at one time with just one cell phone.
- This activity-based game requires no extra controls and is perfect for exercising the body and mind.
- This dance rhythm game has songs ranging from old numbers, such as “Take on me”, to recent ones like “Un Poco loco”.
- This game is useful for improving fitness, motor skills, flexibility and coordination in both kids and adults.
4. Rayman Legends
Platform: Nintendo Switch, Wii U, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC.
- Rayman Legends is a versatile game which can be played on numerous platforms.
- The game can be played by up to 4 players at a time.
- It is useful in boosting motor skills, spatial navigation, working memory, and strategic planning.
5. Melbits World
Platform: PlayStation 4
- Melbits World is a cute puzzle-based multiplayer game for kids.
- In this game, the kids are required to guide Melbits (digital pixels) to overcome difficulties, obstacles, and traps to reach the safe side so that they can spread good vibes throughout the internet.
- The game can be played by up to 4 players at a single time.
- It teaches kids teamwork, coordination, communication, and also develops their motor skills.
Platform: Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Mac, and PC.
- This multiplayer game is a run and gun shooting game.
- With animated characters, Cuphead and Mugman, the game has a unique presentation.
- It is a bit tough for younger kids.
- It teaches players teamwork, strategic skills, and communication.
7. LEGO Batman 2
Platform: Windows Vista and Windows XP
- LEGO Batman 2 is a dynamic split-screen game perfect for kids as well as adults.
- Kids enjoy this humorous game involving Batman, Robin and their other superhero friends from DC comic and cartoons beating many bad guys in Gotham city.
- The game is very easy to play even for young kids and is family-friendly with dynamic split-screen, easy drop-in/drop-out co-op play options.
- Kids enjoy the fun exploration of Gotham city, collect suits, gadgets and vehicles, such as Batmobile, BatBoat and Batwing.
8. Portal 2
Platform: PlayStation 3, PC , Xbox 360, and Mac.
- Portal 2 is a split-screen game that involves puzzle-solving. The players go through different dimensions to solve these puzzles.
- The game has an inventive storyline and can be played in single-player modes, though when played in co-op mode with other players, the players can solve more complex puzzles.
- The game teaches coordination, teamwork, communication, and mutual respect as the players solve the puzzles.
- Portal 2 is good for improving spatial reasoning, cognitive skills, focus and logic of kids with its good narrative and imaginative puzzles.
9. Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
Platform: Nintendo Switch, Wii U, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox 360, iOS, Android, and PC.
- This game has unique gameplay elements that make it popular among kids.
- The players can choose from different Sonic Universe racers, including Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.
- The game can be played in both single-player and multiplayer mode across many platforms.
- This mascot-based racing game has numerous scenarios with various types of vehicles, weapons, etc.
10. Rocket League
Platform: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC.
- Rocket League is a multiplayer car soccer game which combines football (soccer) and racing cars with janky physics.
- Players can compete with other players in a split-screen mode, or from other places in 2v2 online matches.
- This fast-paced game’s objective is to score a goal by hitting the ball in their opponent’s goal post. The team which scores most goals in 5 minutes wins the match.
- The game has many robust sports scenes with many car stunts and car flips.
- It is easy to play with short and quick play sessions.
- This game is a popular Xbox one split-screen game that helps improve coordination, muscle responses, and reading visual cues of the kids.
11. LEGO Harry Potter Collection
Platform: Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, iOS, Wii, and PC
- LEGO Harry Potter is a fun-filled and family-friendly co-op game.
- The game has numerous characters from the Harry Potter series, which the players can choose as per their liking.
- In the game, the players play and re-enact scenarios from the Harry Potter series with funny LEGO cutscenes.
- The game takes the players on exciting Harry Potter journeys that are full of potion-making, spell-casting, duelling, and puzzle-solving fun!
Platform: Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS
- Snipperclips is an action-puzzle game where the players have to snip and clip, or cut and paste pieces to solve the puzzles.
- The game is based on solving interesting puzzles based on physics, such as players colliding into each other to collect water by creating a bathtub.
- The game techniques are easy to understand and play.
- The game helps kids understand teamwork and also enhances their communication and problem-solving skills.
13. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Platform: Nintendo Switch, Wii U
- Players can choose between exploring the vast game land or play in the traditional story mode.
- They get to do numerous things, such as ride horses, climb mountains, etc., in the vast land of Zelda.
- Players can easily switch between fighting out battles and exploring the open world.
14. LEGO Dimensions
Platform: PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Wii U.
- LEGO Dimensions is about LEGO heroes’ team consisting of Batman, Frodo, Superman, Scooby-Doo and Marty McFly fighting supervillain Lord Vortech to save the Legoverse.
- The game is a mega-crossover with many Lego toys incorporated in the storyline.
- The game helps in improving teamwork and motor skills among kids.
15. Little Big Planet 3
Platform: PlayStation 4
- This puzzle game is based on “Super Mario” game platform where the player role-plays as Sackboy living in a tiny world.
- The players can change the appearance of Sackboy by editing the eyes, wigs, clothes and tongue colour.
- This cute game is easy to play and is ideal for young kids who have just started playing games.
- The players can build their own levels in the game and can easily share them online.
- Levels created/published by other players can be downloaded and played.
- The game teaches creativity, social-emotional learning (SEL) concepts, digital literacy skills and design thinking competencies.
16. 1-2 Switch
Platform: Nintendo Switch
- 1-2 Switch is a battling duel game where the players can opt for the old-fashioned Western shootout mode or have a dance-off or play a tennis match with their opponent.
- There’s just one objective for each game – to out-do the opponent!
- This cooperative game is specially built like a couch co-op game and is perfect for parties and get-togethers.
17. FIFA 19
Platform: PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Microsoft Windows.
- This comprehensive soccer game has detailed graphics, and is perfect for soccer lovers!
- The players have the option to play quick matches, tournaments or leagues by building and customising the teams.
18. LEGO DC Supper-Villains
Platform: PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and macOS.
- This LEGO co-op game, with an imaginative storyline with an alternate- universe version based on Justice League, is one of the best PS4 split-screen games for kids.
- The game has some of the greatest antagonists of the DC Universe such as the Joker, Lex Luthor, Solomon Grundy, Darkseid and Lobo.
- Players solve puzzles as they fight off villains.
- The players can also make their own supervillain.
19. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Platform: Nintendo Switch and Wii U
- This game has two games in one and can be played in single-player or multiplayer mode with up to 3 players.
- The players enter the adventures to save the Mushroom Kingdom.
- The playable characters are suitable for younger players, especially for kids who have just begun playing co-op games.
- This game is easy to play and has a lot of helpful hints and reference videos.
Platform: PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Wii U, Mobile, and PC.
- This is a simple Xbox 360 split-screen games involving building-blocks.
- This open-world building block game is like Lego for new age kids.
- The game is good for boosting creativity and problem-solving ability.
- The design is kid-friendly with beautiful graphics, bringing the kids’ imaginations to life and a lot of role-playing.
- The infinite digital LEGOs help in creating numerous wild architecture pieces.
Split-screen games are excellent ways for kids to play games with their friends. Playing together helps kids improve their creativity, coordination, and communication, and also brings out their competitiveness.