In this Article
Exercising during pregnancy helps a woman stay fit and healthy and keeps her health in check. Nowadays, more and more pregnant women are taking up yoga and exercises to make sure they have a safe and healthy pregnancy. Exercising is no wrong in pregnancy, however, it is very important to understand that you do the right kind of exercises when pregnant. Sometimes, rigorous exercises can lead to abdominal trauma. You may want to take up jumping, but before taking it up, you will wonder, if jumping during pregnancy is safe or not! Jumping as a means of exercise is beneficial, but it may not be the best option for pregnant women. The chances of health complications can increase in prospective mothers. Let’s find out how exercise helps during pregnancy and if jumping during pregnancy is safe or not.
How is Exercise Beneficial during Pregnancy?
Exercising during pregnancy increases your strength, endurance level, and promotes better sleep. Prenatal exercises keep your health in check. Some light exercises like swimming, stretching or walking are recommended during pregnancy and are also safe. However, women should avoid exercises with jarring motions such as jumping, hopping, or skipping during pregnancy. Some of the benefits of exercising during pregnancy are given below:
- It helps reduce swelling, bloating, backaches, and constipation.
- It helps improve blood circulation.
- It promotes endurance, strength, and muscle tone.
- It helps increase the energy level.
- It keeps your weight gain in check.
What are the Risks of Jumping While Pregnant
Light exercises during pregnancy are generally considered safe. But you should avoid jumping when pregnant. If you jump vigorously during pregnancy, it could result in vaginal bleeding, preterm labour, or a miscarriage. Some other risks of jumping during pregnancy are given below:
- There is a possibility of the uterus pounding down on the cervix.
- It can even trigger contractions.
- Strenuous exercises can injure or fracture the ligaments and joints.
- It can also lead to severe pregnancy complications.
Oher Options You Can Try
Pregnant ladies should be extra cautious when doing any exercise. Jumping jacks while pregnant should be avoided. There are some other options to try to avoid any complications during pregnancy. Light jumping exercises are still acceptable, but it is best to avoid jumping in pregnancy. Light aerobic exercises, walking, or stretching can be practised by the moms-to-be.
Tips for Exercising Safely when Pregnant
Vigorous exercises involving high impact aerobics or jumping jacks may cause harm. Whereas, moderate exercises can lift your spirits and keep your baby healthy and safe. If you want to start exercising during pregnancy, avoid jumping. And while exercising, here are some tips to keep in mind when pregnant:
- Discuss your fitness routine with a healthcare provider; it is only after discussing that you should start doing any exercise.
- Whenever you exercise, make sure someone is there to watch you in case you lose balance.
- You might be an adventurous person, but it is best to avoid any form of dangerous sports during pregnancy.
- When exercising during pregnancy, it is suggested that you wear loose clothes so that you can move easily.
- It is also suggested to drink plenty of water after exercising, although not immediately. But you should drink enough water if you are exercising to keep yourself hydrated.
- Avoid exercising in the high heat, as it can prove dangerous. The best time to exercise is early morning.
Expectant moms should absolutely avoid contact sports as it can harm your baby. Moderate jumping exercises can improve the health and make delivery easier. But don’t overdo it. A well-chosen exercise program can prove beneficial. Practice low impact exercises to keep your baby safe and healthy. Though the baby remains protected in the uterus, stress and jumping movements can pose a risk. Therefore, go for light workouts and have a safe pregnancy.
Also Read: Exercises to Avoid during Pregnancy