Last Updated on
Microwave has simplified a woman’s life and now it is found in almost every house. It is convenient to use and most importantly, it saves time. You can heat your food or bake a cake in less than an hour, microwave comes as a blessing when you’re short on time. But if you are pregnant, you might wonder if you should use or cook food in a microwave. There are certain myths (or maybe facts) associated with the use of microwave, and when you are nourishing a baby inside you, you’re likely going to think about all those myths about using a microwave, that you might have read somewhere or heard from your family members or friends. Before you stop using it cold turkey, find out if you should make that decision!
Can a Pregnant Woman Use a Microwave?
The radiation emitted from a microwave cannot be detected with naked eyes as it is odourless and invisible, so a pregnant woman should be careful about using a microwave. If the door of the microwave does not lock or is damaged, then it is best to avoid cooking in a microwave. Microwaves that have been in use for more than 2 years are believed to have a higher leakage as compared to the newer models. A microwave that is leaking, its radiation can be harmful to a pregnant woman, as the waves can reach up to 12 cm and if the pregnant woman stands very close to the microwave will be exposed to the harmful waves. The use of a microwave is best avoided in pregnancy, but if you do wish to cook food or bake a cake in a microwave, you should follow the precautionary tips given below.
Tips for Using a Microwave Safely While Pregnant
It is advisable to use a microwave by following all the safety standards which are mentioned below:
- Ensure that your microwave is safe to use and does not leak.
- It is recommended that you place the food bowl inside the microwave, set the temperatures and stay away until it’s done. This practice will keep you away from the electromagnetic fields.
- If you have purchased a new microwave wait for the technician to come home and explain the workings with a demonstration.
- Whether you are a regular user or a new one, you must read all the instructions in the manual carefully before operating the oven.
- Avoid using a microwave for too long and overheating the food in a microwave.
- If you have been using a microwave for long, then it is better to purchase a new one. Since older models have more chances of leakages.
- While purchasing a microwave look for the BIS accreditation or ISI mark.
- Heat the food in microwave-safe bowls and avoid heating it in plastic bowls as it might get mixed with the food you consume.
- Always wear the gloves while inserting or removing the food trays from the microwave.
- Stand at a good distance while lifting the lids from the cooked dishes in order to avoid steam burns.
Can You Eat Microwaved Food While Pregnant?
You can eat microwave-cooked food but it should not be overheated. When the food is cooked in the microwave, its molecular form or structure is not altered. Therefore, it can be concluded that the food is not contaminated. As per several studies, the nutritional value of the food decreases by cooking it in the microwave. But some people believe that cooking in a microwave retains many nutrients and minerals in the food than it does through the conventional way of cooking. You would have witnessed that many times, the food in the microwave gets heated unevenly and gets extremely hot at times. So, ensure that the food cools down and reaches room temperature before you consume it.
Microwave, when used correctly, will not pose any threat to you or the baby inside you. Also, microwaves are believed to emit very fewer radiations according to the FDA reports. So, it’s safe to use a microwave with proper care and precautions. But if you have doubts, do check with your gynaecologist about using a microwave or eating microwaved food during pregnancy.
Also Read: Watermelon in Pregnancy – Is It Safe to Eat?