- Are Chia Seeds Safe While Breastfeeding?
- How Much Chia Seeds Should Be Consumed When Breastfeeding?
- Benefits of Chia Seeds While Nursing
- Best Ways to Consume Chia Seeds in Your Daily Diet?
- Side Effects of Eating Chia Seeds While Breastfeeding
- Precautions to Be Taken When You Consume Chia Seeds During Breastfeeding
There are a host of changes in a woman’s body during and right after pregnancy. As you are nurturing a delicate little life, you are bound to be plagued by questions about your diet, such as, “Can I drink caffeine while nursing?” or “Can I eat chia seeds while breastfeeding?”
While you may still want to hold off on the caffeine, chia seeds are very beneficial for you as you are breastfeeding. These nutritious seeds are packed full of nutrition and include dietary fiber, vitamins, protein, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Are Chia Seeds Safe While Breastfeeding?
As a nursing mother, you will have to take excellent care of yourself since your little one needs you. This means adding healthy, strengthening, and nutritious food to your diet, which includes chia seeds.
When talking about chia seeds, you may be curious – “Does chia seed increase breast milk?” Chia seeds are safe to consume during breastfeeding and are also believed to increase breast milk production. It is beneficial for mothers to consume chia seeds while they nurse their little ones.
As chia seed is high in energy, and nursing mothers need as many energy-giving foods as possible, it is the perfect little add-on to your daily diet.
How Much Chia Seeds Should Be Consumed When Breastfeeding?
While chia seeds are great for your health, as with anything else, they should be consumed in moderation. A maximum of two tablespoons of chia seeds is the desired amount to consume in a day. If you would like to consume more than that daily, it is best to have a conversation with your doctor about it.
Benefits of Chia Seeds While Nursing
Chia seeds and breastfeeding are the perfect pair. The nutritional content in Chia seeds provides a host of nutritional benefits to breastfeeding moms. Chia seeds have several health benefits; some of which are listed below:
1. Good Source of Protein
Chia seeds are a great vegetarian protein source. Proteins are important for you and your baby as they help repair damaged cells and develop your baby’s brain. Vegan or vegetarian mothers, in particular, will benefit from consuming these seeds.
2. Weight Loss
Though the scientific community has mixed feelings about how effective chia seeds are for weight loss, people still claim that they are effective due to the high-quality protein present. The seeds also make you feel satiated as they contain high soluble dietary fiber, because of which you tend to eat less, resulting in weight loss.
3. Healthy Teeth and Bones
Rich in calcium, consuming chia seeds every day will help your baby develop stronger teeth and bones. Nursing mothers continue to heal post-delivery; the calcium content in chia seeds helps heal their bones.
4. Better Digestion
Chia has good fiber content and is thus great for a healthy digestive system. It also helps in avoiding gastrointestinal problems and regulating bowel movements.
5. Gives Energy
It is believed that the Aztecs and Mayans consumed chia seeds when they needed to keep up their energy. This would often be during times of war or travel. Breastfeeding moms also need as much energy as possible to not run out of stamina and can better care for their little ones.
6. Boosts Metabolism
Chia seeds are rich in minerals, including manganese, magnesium, and phosphorous, that help boost the rate of metabolism for breastfeeding moms.
7. Provides Essential Fatty Acids
Vegan and vegetarian mothers need to have a food source rich in omega-3 fatty acids, usually found in fish. Chia seeds are the perfect replacement for fish, containing the omega-3 fatty acids needed to develop the immune and nervous systems of the baby.
8. Reduces Inflammation
Due to the bodily changes, nursing mothers can experience inflammation. As chia seeds have anti-inflammatory properties, they are good at helping reduce such cases.
Best Ways to Consume Chia Seeds in Your Daily Diet?
Chia seeds are highly versatile when it comes to how you can add them to your daily diet. Here are some ways that you can include chia seeds into your everyday meals:
- Chia seeds are an amazing source of nutrition, especially for vegan or vegetarian mothers, as they are rich in vegetarian protein. Chia seeds can be used to replace eggs in certain recipes. Add a tablespoon of chia seeds to three tablespoons of water and allow it to rest for about 15 minutes. This will leave you with a gelatinous texture that will make a great substitute for eggs in baking and making cutlets.
- Roast some chia seeds in a pan without oil. Once they start popping, turn off the heat. These delicious, roasted chia seeds can be used as a garnish for a quick and delicious yogurt fruit bowl in the mornings. You can also add it to your oatmeal or any other dish that you desire to garnish with it.
- If you are a fan of salads, try getting your seeds to sprout. You can then add them to your salads. You can even make sandwiches out of the sprouted chia seeds.
- After soaking the seeds in water, you can use the gelatinous chia seeds in your smoothies.
- Roast and grind chia seeds into a fine powder. You can use this powder to thicken soups and add that extra nutritional element to them. You can also add powdered chia seeds to bread dough to make your bread healthy and nutritious.
Side Effects of Eating Chia Seeds While Breastfeeding
There are rarely any problems resulting from chia seeds unless someone is allergic to them. However, pay attention to see if you experience any of the following after consuming chia seeds, and consult with your doctor if you do:
1. Doesn’t React Well to Certain Drugs
You will need to be very careful about how much chia seeds you eat if you are on any medication for blood thinning or for your blood pressure as it may react unfavorably.
2. Gastric Problems
Eating too many chia seeds every day can cause gastrointestinal discomfort due to the extremely high fiber content. Fiber is good for bowel movement, but too much of it could cause bloating and flatulence.
Precautions to Be Taken When You Consume Chia Seeds During Breastfeeding
If you want to gain the most benefits from consuming chia seeds, here are some precautions that you should take:
- Consult with your doctor about eating chia seeds if you have any gastrointestinal issues. Those who experience food allergies should also run this by your doctor. This will help you to understand how much you can eat, if at all.
- Only buy chia seeds that are organic and sold by a reputable store.
- Consume chia seeds in moderation. Never consume too much in one day.
Chia seeds for breastfeeding mothers are extremely beneficial for health, especially if you do not consume any meat. Chia seeds are considered a superfood because of their nutrition content, but you must never use them to make up for a proper, balanced diet. They are great when used along with other healthy food, as they work together to provide you and your child with all the nutrients needed for healthy development and growth.
Remember that you must always check with your doctor first before adding any new ingredient to your diet. This ensures that you are not consuming anything you are allergic to, as it will cause problems for you and your baby.
Maintaining a healthy diet is of vital importance, so if your doctor has agreed to chia seeds in your diet, you are good to go! Follow the tips on adding them to your diet as shared, and remember to consume them only in moderation.