In this Article
Last Updated on
Oats is undoubtedly one of the healthiest foods.. It can be cooked in a variety of ways and is packed with protein, essential nutrients and fibre. If you’ve just given birth, your breast milk absorbs nutrients from the foods that you consume regularly.
Oatmeal is rich with many nutrients that help in improving the quality of your breastmilk and ensuring your little one, in turn, gets all the nutritional requirements it needs to build its immune system.
Does Oats Help Increase Breast Milk Supply?
Oatmeal is a food that is full-grain, thus replete with a lot of essential nutrients. These nutrients play a significant role in increasing the breast milk supply in your body. They contain nutrients such as saponin and other essential minerals like zinc, manganese and calcium that strengthens the immune systems, thus making it easier for mothers to produce better quality breast milk.
Factors that Cause Oats to Increase Milk Supply
There are many factors that cause oats to increase the milk supply in a mother’s body. These are:
- The presence of nutrients such as beta-glucans, protein, fibre, carbohydrates and more. These nutrients are responsible for healthier, lusher milk supply.
- Iron is another important mineral found in oats. Moms with a lower supply of iron sometimes struggle while breastfeeding. However, oats will raise those levels and make it easier.
- Oatmeal also helps you stay calm by releasing oxytocin and relaxin. This stimulates the milk production process and helps with flow. The oxytocin also promotes the bond of trust and this gets transmitted to the baby.
Other Health Benefits of Oats for Breastfeeding Mothers
There are other health benefits as well that comes with consuming oats for pregnant women:
- They help in lowering blood pressure and is good for the heart. The Beta-glucan fibre helps in lowering cholesterol.
- They stabilize the blood sugar levels and are good if you do not over consume a lot of it
- They help reduce the feeling of hunger by helping the stomach feel full. They are also used in lotions such as moisturizing creams and bath products as they can heal the itchy and irritated skin conditions such as psoriasis or eczema.
- If you’re wondering is oats good for a breastfeeding mother,the answer is yes because it can help comfort and relax the mind.
- The B vitamins present in oats also helps in fighting off exhaustion, anger, stress and other mental ailments.
How Much Oatmeal or Oats do you Need to Consume?
Ideally, one small bowl of oatmeals, served hot is good enough for a breastfeeding mother. A lot of women have seen an increase in milk supply after they’ve had a bowl of the same.
How to Add Oats to your Breastfeeding Diet?
Oats can be had in different ways and styles. If you’ve wondered, what kind of oatmeal is good for breastfeeding,here are a few options:
The simplest way to have oatmeal is to make a porridge. Cook it on a low flame and stir it with milk to make a nice warm bowl of porridge.
2. Oatmeal Tea
Pour a cup of boiling water over roughly a teaspoon of oatmeal flakes. Add a bit of cinnamon or honey as per your taste requirements and you’re good to go.
3. Oats Muffin
Simple and delicious, just add little oats to the muffin batter or dough and bake them in the oven. Take them out and immediately consume them.
4. Oats Bars
These energy bars are found in many convenience stores and they’re also not that hard to make at home. Have one as a snack and you’ll have made up the supply required for the day.
5. Oats in Soup
Having oats in soup is another way to increase the amount of oats that you consume on a daily basis. It can be eaten as a supplement in soup and it just needs to be added to the mixture as you’re making it.
6. Oatmeal and Lactation Cookies
Oatmeal is one of the primary ingredients in many lactation cookies that a lot of moms use. They are a great snack and are also a fun dessert idea.
7. Oats Baked with Bread
Adding little oats to your bread dough or purchasing whole-grain oat bread is another way to consume oats. You can toast the bread or even make a good sandwich with it in order to have your daily dose of the same.
Are there any Side-effects of having Oats while Nursing?
Eating oats with a gluten allergy is generally not recommended. A small dosage of the same, however, will not prove to be harmful. Oats are also tolerated by those who have Celiac’s disease.
However, since oats is sometimes processed with other wheat items, it can be a bit of a hazard for those who have a gluten allergy. You can consult your doctor for the same and ensure that they give you the go-ahead you need to consume oats on a regular basis for breastfeeding
Eating oats is a great option for mothers who are looking to feed their babies with nutritious milk. They contain a lot of essential nutrients and minerals that get transferred to the baby and helps increase their strength and immune system. While they do not have any side-effects, it is always better to check for gluten levels before you consume oats.