In this Article
- Is It Safe to Eat Cashew Nuts During Pregnancy?
- Nutritional Benefits of Eating Cashew Nuts During Pregnancy
- Benefits of Eating Cashew Nuts While Pregnant
- Ways to Include Cashew Nuts in Your Pregnancy Diet
- Why Should You Choose Organic Cashew Nuts During Pregnancy?
- Are There Any Harmful Effects of Consuming Cashews During Pregnancy?
- Precautions to Be Taken While Eating Cashew Nuts
Last Updated on
If you are pregnant, you will get a lot of well-meaning advice regarding the food you consume. And with so much information to remember, you are bound to get overwhelmed! Before putting anything in your mouth, you will think twice and worry whether or not it is safe for consumption during pregnancy. There are certain foods should be avoided, but then there’s a lot that you can eat! Other than eating whole grains, veggies, and fruits, you can also munch on dry fruits and nuts. This article will tell you all about eating cashew nuts during pregnancy. Cashew nuts are nutritious and crunchy and simply delicious – but are they safe for pregnant women? Find out!
Is It Safe to Eat Cashew Nuts During Pregnancy?
Yes, it is considered safe to consume cashew nuts during pregnancy as long as you observe the necessary caution. It is extremely difficult to resist the rich taste and the crunchy flavour of cashew nuts. The fact that they provide such a great mix of nutrition and mouth-watering taste makes them even more alluring. If you take a few precautions while eating cashew nuts during pregnancy, these nutritive nuts can be safely consumed without worrying about their side effects. For the healthy development of the baby, a pregnant woman needs to up her intake of calcium, vitamins, zinc, protein, carbohydrates, fibre, iron and vitamins. And cashew nuts can provide you with all these nutrients! Eat cashew nuts in moderation and you will be fine!
Nutritional Benefits of Eating Cashew Nuts During Pregnancy
Cashew nuts are nature’s very own vitamin pills as every ounce (28 grams) of the cashew nut is packed with 9 grams of carbohydrates, 4.3 grams of proteins, and 13 grams of fat. Here are a few advantages of cashews from the nutrition point of view:
- Cashews have all the vitamins needed for the growth and development of the baby and are ideal snacks to munch on during pregnancy.
- The antibacterial properties of cashew nuts can help fight infections.
- Pregnancy can be a difficult time for many women but eating cashew nuts can provide with instant energy.
- The high fibre content of cashew nuts can help fight constipation and diarrhoea.
- Every ounce of cashew contains 1.7 mg of iron. Thus cashew nuts can be one of the iron-rich foods that can help meet iron intake of 27 mg/day when consumed with other foods. Pregnant women are at a higher risk of iron-deficiency anaemia. And they need more iron during pregnancy, which can be met by including cashew nuts in the pregnancy diet. Cashew nuts can thus help fight anaemia.
- Cashew nuts are a rich source of magnesium, which promotes bone health along with calcium. They provide relief from muscle spasm, high blood pressure, fatigue and migraine.
- One ounce of cashew nuts contains 9.8 mcg (micrograms) of Vitamin K. Pregnant women need 90 mcg of this vital vitamin every day to ensure that they do not suffer from excessive bleeding at this stage.
- The development of foetal blood cells is also accelerated if cashew nuts, which are a good source of copper, are consumed during pregnancy. One ounce of cashew contains 0.6mg of copper and can help in fulfilling a pregnant woman’s need of 1 gram copper every day.
Benefits of Eating Cashew Nuts While Pregnant
Here are some health benefits of eating cashew nuts during pregnancy –
- Cashew nuts will provide essential vitamins and other nutrients that your baby needs during its growing phase.
- Cashew nuts are known to prevent gum and tooth decay during pregnancy.
- Including cashew nuts in your pregnancy diet may help maintain your lipid profile levels, especially if you are prone to gestational diabetes.
Ways to Include Cashew Nuts in Your Pregnancy Diet
Eating cashew nuts during pregnancy can contribute to your nutritional requirements. So here’s how you can include them in your pregnancy diet!
- An ideal way of consuming cashew nuts is by mixing them with other dry fruits and create a wholesome snack.
- You can add cashew nuts to a blender and make cashew nut butter, which can be eaten along with fruits and veggies as a tasty dip.
- You can add cashew nuts to your sautéed veggies at the very end for a nutty taste or add them to your breakfast cereal.
- They are an integral part of Indian, Thai, and Mediterranean cuisine and can be added to chocolates and dessert as well.
- You could add cashew nuts to a syrup which would make a wonderful topping for that breakfast pancake in the morning.
Why Should You Choose Organic Cashew Nuts During Pregnancy?
Organic cashew nuts, though small in size, are full of nutrients and tasty too! Since they are grown in a natural way without the use of herbicides, pesticides and insecticides, their original taste is retained and they are healthier too. Organic cashews are packed with a high concentration of copper, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, carbohydrates and vitamins, thus making them an essential food for pregnant women.
They also help in the all-round growth of the foetus and supplement the mother’s body with the necessary nutrients needed during pregnancy. This versatile and healthy food is a must-have for pregnant women.
Are There Any Harmful Effects of Consuming Cashews During Pregnancy?
While cashews are packed with nutritional benefits, some women may experience certain side effects too if they eat cashew nuts in excessive amounts. If you consume more than the recommended levels, you could gain excess weight as the calorie content in cashews is high. Pregnant women can also face kidney and gall bladder issues if consumption exceeds normal levels. This is because cashew nuts contain oxalates that can get concentrated in your bodily fluids and trigger pregnancy complications.
Precautions to Be Taken While Eating Cashew Nuts
Here are some precautions you need to follow while consuming cashew nuts during pregnancy
- Make sure you consume plain cashew nuts and not the spicy ones. Salted and masala cashews can have high levels of sodium which must be avoided in high amounts for pregnant women
- It is recommended to not eat more than one ounce of cashew nuts during pregnancy per day as anything more can cause uneasiness.
- Make sure you do not consume cashews if you suffer from any cashew-related allergies. The signs could include sneezing, coughing, skin rash, inflammation of skin and indigestion.
- Always check with your doctor if it is okay to include cashew nuts in your daily diet during pregnancy.
Cashew nuts can provide great benefits for pregnant women as long as they are consumed in moderation. Your pregnancy journey is going to be one of the most important phases of your life, so be careful in everything you do. Take all the necessary precautions with regards to your eating habits; avoid anything that you think may harm your baby and have a healthy pregnancy!