In this Article
Last Updated on
The Indian name for custard apple, sitaphal, has been derived from the Sanskrit words sheeta which means ‘cold’ and phal which means ‘fruit’. This is a fruit that is known to cool the body. If you’re wondering whether you can eat custard apples during pregnancy, keep reading.
Nutritional Value of Custard Apples
The nutritional value per 100 g of custard apples is as follows:
|Energy||393 kJ (94 kcal)|
|Vitamin B1||0.11 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.2 mg|
Benefits of Custard Apples to Pregnant Women
Pregnant women can get these benefits by eating custard apples during pregnancy.
1. Reduction in Morning Sickness
2. Prevention of Anaemia
3. Regulation of Blood Pressure
Blood pressure tends to fluctuate during pregnancy. The potassium and magnesium content regulates blood pressure.
4.Relief From Constipation
5. Reduction in Stress
Magnesium relaxes the muscles and regulates the cardiovascular system. It reduces stress and protects the heart.
6. Boost to Foetal Development
The overall nutritional components aid in the development of skin, tendon and blood vessels of the foetus.
7. Cleansing of Toxins From the Body
The fruit contains antioxidants that cleanse the body of toxins, thus keeping the kidneys in optimal condition. These antioxidants also help to build a strong immune system.
8. Prevention of a Miscarriage
Copper is an essential component for a pregnant woman. It is said to have an important component to reduce miscarriage. Custard apple is a good source of edible copper. The consumption of custard apple certifies a good consumption of the mineral required to protect the womb.
9. Relief from Dental Problems
The fibre content in custard apple keeps the teeth sparkling white, heals gums and does away with bad breath.
10. Reduction of Labour Pain
An alternate therapy prescribes custard apple as a healing agent from severe labour pains.
11. Prevention of Premature Delivery
Copper mineral is essential for the pregnant woman, who need 100mg dose for the strength to protect the foetus. Custard apple provides a certain portion of this copper mineral. Along with reducing the risk of miscarriage, it also reduces the chances of premature delivery.
Risks of Eating Custard Apples During Pregnancy
Keep the following things in mind to avoid unfortunate incidents:
- The seed can create mess up your digestive system.
- If you’re allergic to cold foods, it’s best not to consume this fruit.
- As custard apples are high in sugar, patients with gestational diabetes should not consume them.
- Overweight women should avoid eating this fruit.
Precautions You Should Take
While eating custard apples, you can take the following precautions:
- Scoop the pulp out with a spoon, taking care to avoid the seeds.
- Don’t consume raw custard apples. Ripe ones are bright green and feel pulpy.
- Consult your gynaecologist before consuming this fruit.
Custard Apple Recipes for Pregnant Women
Try these tasty custard apple recipes!
1. Custard Apple Rabdi
- Custard apple, peeled and deseeded – 2
- Milk – 2-3 cups
- Condensed milk – 2 tbsp
- Jaggery – to taste
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Green elaichi or cardamom – 2-3
- Cashews – a handful
- Almonds – a handful
- Refrigerate the custard apple pulp for 30 minutes.
- Add milk to a vessel and boil it.
- Add condensed milk and jaggery to this milk.
- Let it boil on a low flame for 6-7 minutes.
- Pour this mixture on to the pulp.
- Garnish with cashews and almonds.
2. Custard Apple Smoothie
- Custard apple – 1
- Milk – 1 cup
- Vanilla ice cream (optional) – 1 scoop
- Sugar – to taste
- Add milk to the pulp.
- Also, add sugar and vanilla ice cream.
- Blend it.
- Pour it into a glass and celebrate your pregnancy!
Sitaphal is a power fruit that you can enjoy during pregnancy. If you don’t consume the seeds, you can enjoy its amazing benefits without worrying about the side effects!