In this Article
- Is Custard Apple Good for Pregnancy
- Nutritional Value of Custard Apple
- Amazing Benefits of Custard Apple (Seethaphal) In Pregnancy
- Are there any Harmful Effects of Eating Custard Apple during Pregnancy?
- Precautions to Take while Consuming Custard Apple
- How Should you Eat Custard Apple?
- Easy Recipes with Custard Apple for Pregnant Women
Seethaphal is derived from the Sanskrit words Sheeta = cold + Phal = Fruit which is the cold or, the fruit that cools the body. This is the reason for the name and, has nothing to do with Sita having eaten this during vanavas. However, it has some strong effects on pregnant women. These are nutritious benefits and some side effects.
Is Custard Apple Good for Pregnancy
Custard apple aids in the development of the baby and is also a comfort nutritious food for the mother. The fruit is also known as Sugar fruit which should tell you the high number of calories and natural sugar it contains. Both are equally important for a pregnant woman.
Know The fruit:
- Seethaphal is different from its variant Ramphal and hanuman phal.
- The fruit is seasonal. A season is August- October.
- Seethaphal unripe is hard and dark green in colour.
- The ripe ones are light green and soft to touch.
- To avoid swallowing the seed, please peel the pulp and throw away seeds before consumption.
Nutritional Value of Custard Apple
It is always being debated as to why the pregnant woman should have custard apple. If the nutritional value is anything to go by, then it is an affirmative reply in itself. Custard Apple is a vault of vitamins, fibre and minerals. It provides close 40% of a daily dose of vitamin C and 10% of fibre. It is rich in other vitamins such as vitamin B6 and Vitamin A. It has minerals such as potassium, iron, copper and magnesium.
Custard apple on a daily basis is good for skin, hair, bone and muscle for an average human being. However, It has benefits particular to a pregnant woman.
Amazing Benefits of Custard Apple (Seethaphal) In Pregnancy
Seethaphal fruit in pregnancy has special benefits. It is advised that pregnant women eat some chosen fruits on a daily basis. Seethaphal is one of them.
1. Comfort from Morning Sickness
2. Prevents Anaemia
The fruit is high in calories and neural sugar. It contains 101 calories per 100 grams. It also has 25 grams of carbohydrates and 0.8 grams of total fat. Thus, it will help in weight gain and will prevent anaemia.
3. Regulates Blood Pressure
Blood pressure tends to fluctuate during pregnancy. The Potassium which is 8% of daily consumption and, Magnesium which is 4% of the daily content will aid in maintaining the balance of Blood pressure.
4. Heals Constipation
The dietary fibre is 10% of the daily value. Dietary fibre is essential to maintain the good functioning of the digestive system. Consumption of 100 grams of custard apple a day works to keep the digestive system running. It treats constipation, softens digestion and, improves bowel movement. It also reduces diarrhoea.
5. Relaxes Muscles
The fruit has got its name because it cools the body. Magnesium is crucial for this process. Its the primary element that relaxes muscles. Magnesium also regulates cardiovascular system. Thus, it reduces stress and protects the heart.
6. Helps in foetus development
The overall nutritional components aid in the development of skin, tendon and blood vessels of the foetus.
7. Natural detoxicant
The fruit contains natural anti-oxidants that cleanse the body of toxic waste. The same anti-oxidants help in building a strong immune system. It keeps the kidneys clean had functioned.
8. Minimises the risk of miscarriage
Copper is an essential component for a pregnant woman. It is said to have an important component to reduce miscarriage. Custard apple is a good source of edible copper. The consumption of custard apple certifies a good consumption of the mineral required to protect the womb.
9. Aids in dental health
Nature’s toothbrush for you. The fibre content scrubs teeth heal gums and cleanse bad breath.It is one less worry during pregnancy.
10. Reduces labour pain
An alternate therapy prescribes custard apple as a healing agent from severe labour pains.
11. Premature Delivery
Copper mineral is essential for the pregnant woman, who need 100mg doze for the strength to protect the foetus. Custard apple provides a certain portion of this copper mineral. Along with reducing the risk of miscarriage, it also reduces chances of premature delivery.
Are there any Harmful Effects of Eating Custard Apple during Pregnancy?
It is a power fruit, but you need to be careful and keep the following advice in mind:
- If you eat the seed by accident, it may create havoc in your digestive system
- It is a cooling agent, if you already are sensitive towards cooling components, best not to consume this fruit as it may make you sick.
- Its high in sugar and hence gestational diabetic patients do not consume as it may harm the condition further.
- If you are already on the heavier side and have been asked to watch the weight by the doc, its best to avoid this High-calorie fruit.
Precautions to Take while Consuming Custard Apple
It is fruit at the end of the day, but you are also at a phase in life when no precaution is needless advice. Better read the precautions to avoid any discomfort.
- Always remove the seed before consumption. Do not swallow it.
- Do not consume unripe fruit. Always remember that the green is lighter on a ripe one and feels pulpy in your hands.
- Consult your doctor before consuming the custard apple.
How Should you Eat Custard Apple?
It is not discomforting or harmful if you peel off the pulp and have the fruit. Follow the below instructions to be safe.
- Part of the fruit into two halves
- Scoop out the smooth, soft pulp
- Avoid the seeds
- Spit out the seeds once you have swirled the pulp off them
Easy Recipes with Custard Apple for Pregnant Women
First and foremost, you will have to de-seed the custard apple. It takes patience but is completely worth for these tasty recipes.
1. The Custard Apple Rabdi:
Cooking time:10 minutes
- Custard apple: 2 peeled and deseeded Seethaphal
- Milk: 2-3 cups
- Condensed milk: 2 tbsp
- Jaggery: to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2-4 green elachi or cardamom
- few cut cashews
- few cut badams
- Refrigerate the peeled and de-seeded pulp for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil milk.
- Add condensed milk and some jaggery to the boiling milk.
- Let it boil on low flame for six to seven minutes.
- Pour this mixture to the chilled pulp.
- Temper the ingredients and garnish the mixture with the same.
2. The Custard Apple Smoothie:
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Fruit:1 seeded fruit
- Milk: 1 cup
- Vanilla ice cream (optional): one scoop
- Sugar to taste
- Take the one cup peeled pulp and add it to the milk.
- Add some sugar and some vanilla ice cream.
- Beat the mixture in a mixer.
- Pour it into a glass and celebrate your pregnancy!
On the whole, the custard apple aka Seethaphal is a power fruit that you could enjoy during your pregnancy. Just remember to consume it with the precautions in mind. The best way to avoid discomfort of peeling it, would be to peel the seeds away before you consume it. Enjoy the nutrition of Seethaphal without worrying about the seeds or side effects.