Things Moms Should Know About Childbirth and Recovery
It is true that pregnancy and childbirth is really difficult for every mother. During this time, a woman’s body goes through a lot of changes, mentally and physically, especially if she is a first-time mom. She definitely needs the right guidance and care. Many mothers get contradictory advice from their friends and relatives, which can be confusing. This is a reason why many women are so scared and confused about pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum care, and are also at a higher risk of postpartum depression. But sound advice backed by research can help eliminate confusion and reassure the mother.
5 Things New Moms and Pregnant Women Should Know
1. Pregnancy and childbirth is a natural procedure: Every woman, before she decides to be a mom, needs to know the fact that pregnancy and childbirth is nothing new or unique. It’s a part of life and very natural, which happens with all mothers.
2. Every mother can take care of her baby herself: After all, you have given birth to the baby and you know her very well, so you can care for her the best way. In the first few days a new mom should try to ask for help and, meanwhile, learn proper ways to handle the baby. Over time, you will become more confident that you can do it yourself after a little bit of practice.
3. Keep yourself active: It is very common for your family and friends to tell you to take rest for 6 weeks (40 days) because it’s a traditional thing in India that a new mom should be resting for that 40-day period after delivery. It is true that you need more rest after delivery for your body to recover faster and better, but it doesn’t mean you can’t even get out of your bed. Start with a small walk around the house or keep yourself active.
4. Healthy diet: One of the most important factors in your postpartum recovery is food. Eating healthy food is a must for new moms. For a healthy body, you need the right nutrition and a balanced diet. Fruits vegetables, poultry etc. are equally important for good recovery but definitely avoid excessive amounts of ghee and dry fruits, as anything in excess is not good for you.
5. Read, research and learn: We all have smartphones and can use this to learn parenting, newborn care and self-care. Watch videos read articles, join some groups, download apps that provide information about the topics. Learning and knowing things beforehand is really going to help you with your baby. Learn from other people’s experiences and share yours with other moms. Reading about such topics will also help you deal with postpartum depression as it will be easy for you to understand that you are not going through this alone.
Pregnancy and parenting are wonderful experiences, and you can easily care for yourself and your baby by following good advice and keeping the above points in mind!
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.