Is Your Kid Aware of Racism? Few Tips for Parents to Handle It
Here are the Few Tips to Address Racism in Young Children
- As a parent, it is very much necessary to watch our behaviour when we communicate with our house help, watchman or the salesman, etc. We don’t realise this at the moment but it does influence the attitude of our kids towards the less privileged people.
- Whenever your kid comes across people from different cultures, talk to them about the positive side of that culture and always tell them to show respect towards it.
- Let your kid choose his/her friends, do not force the societal norms on their friendships.
- When you find your kid being unfair or mean towards someone, correct them. Explain with an example how we all are unique and special.
- Observe your child’s behaviour if he/she is being a victim of discrimination or bullying. Talk to your kid as a friend, visit your kid’s school frequently and enquire if there are any significant changes in your child’s behaviour.
- If your kid opens up about being bullied, then make them realise how special they are and rebuild their confidence. Encourage them to stand up against bullying, whether it is for themselves or for a friend.
- Let the teacher or the parents of the kids know about the bullying and ask them to take necessary actions against it.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.