What to Feed After Six Months – Easy Recipes with Veggies
Once your baby is six months old, you can start trying different foods. Weaning period is the most exciting as well as challenging for new mothers. As a mother, we think of providing the best food options for our babies in order to develop healthy food habits.
However, one should always remember that forcing your baby to eat any foodstuff will only ruin your baby’s first food experience.
Hence always keep in mind- Food Before One Is Just For Fun!
I am sharing two recipes which my daughter thoroughly enjoys eating.
1.Vegetable Moong Daal Soup
- 2 tbsp soaked moong daal
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots, sweet potato and bottle guard ( you can use any vegetable that your baby likes)
- 1 tsp gheeA pinch of asafoetidaA pinch of salt (optional ) as per tasteA pinch of black pepper powder
Wash one tbsp of moong daal thoroughly. Soak it for at least an hour ( preferably four hours) before you start cooking. It is said that lentils need to be soaked before they are cooked as this accelerates easy digestion for babies.
- Take a saucepan or pressure cooker and add ghee.
- Add asafoetida to it.
- Add the finely chopped veggies.
- Stir for two minutes
- Add the soaked moong daal.
- Stir everything well for two minutes.
- Add the black pepper powder and salt .
- Add water and cover.
- Cook for three whistles or till the veggies have softened.
- Once cool, use a hand mixer or blender to get a puree.
You can change the consistency of the soup according to your preference by adding or reducing the amount of water. Generally, babies like it when it is slurry.
2. Beetroot and Carrot Rice with Curd
Since beetroots and carrots are underground vegetables, wash them thoroughly under running water and soak them in a pot for 10 minutes before cutting them. Also, check for any blemishes or holes on the surface of these vegetables as this would indicate that they carrying pests.
- 1/4 cup rice ( washed and soaked for at least one hour)
- 1/2 cup thick homemade curd (preferably made from cow’s milk)
- 1 tbsp grated beetroot
- 1 tbsp grated carrot
- 1 tsp ghee
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/8 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp cumin powder
- Salt ( optional ) as per taste
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Take a pressure cooker and add ghee.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait for them to pop.
- Add the asafoetida.
- Add the cumin powder.
- Add the grated veggies.
- Stir for two minutes.
- Add the soaked rice.
- Add the water and cook for three whistles.
- Once the rice cools down add the curd and serve.
- Blend everything to a fine paste using your mixer if you prefer.
Note – follow the three day rule before introducing any new food item to your baby. Check for allegeries, etc and then go ahead with any recipe.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.