Last Updated on
Are you worried about your post-pregnancy weight? If you are a new mom, you most likely are, but you don’t need to worry as you will soon get back into shape.
The first thing you need to do is accept that it’s pregnancy weight and that you can lose it. We all know that having a baby is not an task. During pregnancy, a woman’s body goes through a lot of changes to accommodate a little human inside. From hormonal changes to stress to anxiety – pregnancy brings about a lot of changes. And a woman gains up to 12.5 kgs of weight by the end of her pregnancy. While most women lose it after delivery. While for others, it may take time. But there’s nothing to worry about if you are not losing your pregnancy weight – as you will get back to your normal shape soon! Let me tell you how you can get back in shape while breastfeeding!
First things first – what you need to remember is to relax before you make plans to lose weight. Remember that your body took 9 months to bring a wonder on this Earth, so getting back to your pre-pregnancy shape won’t happen overnight! Take it slow and try the following to lose weight after pregnancy:
- Eight weeks after delivery, start going for a brisk walk for at least 30 minutes daily. Try and walk in the morning hours as it’s the best time for walking. It boosts energy levels and keeps one energetic throughout the day.
- Drink warm water with a pinch of cinnamon, lemon, and honey. Warm water and lemon flush out toxins from the body and cinnamon helps burn fat.
- Have a protein-rich breakfast. A protein-rich breakfast will keep you satiated and energetic. You can include eggs, prawns, cottage cheese, dairy, green vegetables, fresh fruits, and poultry in your breakfast diet. Avoid high-carb foods, caffeinated drinks, food made with refined flour, and sugar.
- Have a bowl of fresh fruits like watermelon, muskmelon, apple, papaya or any other seasonal fruit when it’s time for brunch.
- Have roti/rice with sabji/dal with 1 portion of fresh vegetables like carrot, beetroot, radish, tomato, etc., in lunch.
- Your evening snack should include a handful of almonds. You can also include other nuts.
- Exercise daily. You don’t have to follow a rigorous exercise routine, start with simple exercises and practise them only after checking with your doctor. Once your doctor gives a go ahead and you feel better, you can practise planks, squats, crunches, and meditation and yoga asanas.
- Avoid overeating at night. Have dinner at least 2 hours before you go to bed. And make sure that your dinner comprises of fibre-rich foods and fresh vegetables and fruits.
While you may want to lose weight quickly, remember that you shouldn’t starve yourself or follow a difficult diet plan to lose weight. Your baby is still feeding and your breast milk is the only source of nutrition for him, so eat healthy foods. By following the above methods, you can not only shed some weight but also lead a healthy life. Once your baby turns 6-months-old, you can start other workouts such as Zumba, cardio, aerobics, etc. Motherhood is a beautiful phase, so enjoy every bit of it. You are beautiful the way you are – your spouse loves you and your baby adores you. So be happy and don’t worry about the excess weight. You will lose it by following a healthy diet and leading a healthy lifestyle!
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.