Last Updated on
Most babies are ready to start on solids between 4 and 6 months of age. But I would advise that you introduce solids to your baby once he reaches the 6-month-mark. Along with mashed dal and rice, you can also give your baby homemade cerelac. Yes, you don’t have to buy it from the market. Here is a simple recipe for homemade cerelac that you can try.
In this blog, I am sharing two cerelac recipes which can be introduced to babies once they turn 8 months old. The first recipe is of ragi porridge. To make this, you will need 1 cup of ragi. Wash 1 cup of ragi and dry it on a clean place. Then make a fine powder out of it and store it in an airtight container in a dry and cool place.
How to Make Ragi Porridge
Take 2 tablespoons of ragi powder in a saucepan, add some water and bring it to a boil. Let it cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid lumps. Then add ghee and little salt/sugar for taste. Feed it to your baby while it’s warm.
- Brown rice/Ragi – 1 cup
- Bajra – 1 cup
- Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Moong dal – 1 cup
- Wheat – 1 cup
- Cashew nuts and almonds – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom pods – 2
Roast all the above ingredients separately and make a fine powder and store in an airtight container in a dry and cool place.
How to Prepare
Take 2 tablespoons of the powder in a saucepan, add water to it, and bring it to a boil. Cook it for about 3 minutes, stirring continuously to avoid the formation of lumps. Add 1 tablespoon of ghee and little amount of sugar/salt. Feed while it’s warm.
1. Always wash your hands before feeding your baby.
2. Make sure things used to feed the baby are sterilized.
3. some babies may get constipated or have an allergic reaction to ragi or wheat. If your baby is allergic to either, skip that ingredient.
4. Avoid adding sugar and salt to the porridge or cerelac until your baby turns 1 year old.
5. You can use jaggery for sweetness.
6. Make sure to burp the baby after every feed or meal.
7. Don’t give cow or buffalo milk to the baby until he turns 1 year old.
8. Watch how your baby reacts to new food every time.
9. Introduce any new item keeping a gap of 3-4 days.