Last Updated on
All Indian foods are power-packed full meals. Lentils are a staple in every Indian household. Lentils are known as super-rich foods since they are extremely nutritious with many health benefits. Black urad dal is one of the delicacies which is liked by all age groups. Black dal for babies is delicious as it is a rich source of protein and easy to cook. This delicious dal is given to small babies and toddlers as it is easy to swallow with less effort of chewing and most importantly, it is stomach filling. Black dal is every mother’s favorite dish to cook for her baby for its nutritional benefits and is popularly known as Maa ki dal. So let us start cooking!
Type of Meal
Babies above 13 months
|Ingredients||Quantity / Volume|
|Black urad dal||¾ cup|
|Chana dal||1 tbsp|
|Ginger garlic paste||½ tsp|
|Fresh cream||1/3 cup|
|Turmeric powder||½ tsp|
|Red chili powder||½ tsp for color|
|Cumin seeds||1 tsp|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Coriander leaves for garnishing||½ cup|
Easy and quick way on how to make black dal, here is the step by step instructions to prepare black dal.
- Soak the black urad dal in lukewarm water for 5 hours.
- Pressure cook the soaked urad dal and chana dal with 2 cups of water.
- Mash the pressure cooked dals well and allow it to further cook for 20 minutes.
- Add water to the dal to adjust the consistency and allow it to simmer on low flame.
- Now add cream to the cooked dal.
- In a non-stick pan, heat the ghee.
- Add ½ cup chopped onions and sauté till golden brown.
- Add ½ tsp ginger garlic paste and 1 tsp cumin seeds and allow frying for 2 minutes.
- Now add ½ cup chopped tomato, ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder and allow frying for 2 minutes.
- Add this tadka to the cooked dal and stir well.
- Now according to taste add salt and allow the dal to cook for a few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve the dal with steamed rice or just have fed a bowl of dal as it is.
Make sure you remember the below-mentioned points before you start preparing the healthy and simple black dal recipe for your baby.
- Remember to soak urad dal for 5 hours.
- Chop the onions and tomato.
- Make fresh ginger garlic paste.
- Use red chili powder only for color and not for taste.
- Do not use tap water for cooking the dal.
- The outer cover of apples usually has wax. Therefore, peel the apple and use only the white part of the apple.
- Always wash your hands well before cooking the dal. The utensils used should also be properly cleaned.
- Half pressure cooked dal can cause uneasiness in the stomach. Therefore cook the dal well.
Nutrition Information (Per 100 Grams)
Few health benefits of this home-made black dal baby food recipe.
- Dal is said to have the highest protein content. Therefore it is a very good source of protein for babies, mostly for babies from vegetarian households.
- Black gram helps in digestion as it is packed with fiber.
- Black dal increases bone mineral density, making your babies’ bones healthy and strong.
- It is good for skin.
- It gets digested easily making the baby’s stomach feel light.
- Black dal is good energy booster keeping the baby active.
- Black dal keeps the stomach of babies full for a longer time.
- Buy organic (if possible) and good quality dal products from a good store.
- Buy organic (if possible) or fresh vegetables for vendors.
- Check the expiry date of the spices and cream before buying it.
As mothers, we always look for new innovative and healthy recipes to feed our babies. The best is what we intend to feed, so give this nutrition-rich packed black dal (maa ki dal) once in a week and see a happy smiling face and happily filled tummy playing around your house.