Every article that we publish, confirms to stringent guidelines & involves several levels of reviews, both from our Editorial team & Experts. We welcome your suggestions in making this platform more useful for all our users. Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated on
Pregnancy and nutrition go hand in hand, and a mommy-to-be needs to monitor the food she consumes during pregnancy. What to eat and what not to eat may become a battle for you during pregnancy. Diet during pregnancy should be rich in vital nutrients such as iron, folic acid, protein, calcium, and iodine, and apricot is a fruit that is power-packed with these nutrients. Do you have apprehensions about adding this wonder fruit in your pregnancy diet? We shall discuss in detail about how to effectively add apricots in your pregnancy diet and get maximum benefits from them.
Apricot is a fruit that belongs to the category of drupe fruits (which can be eaten raw as well as in dried form). This fruit is a good source of calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, and vitamin A, C, and E, and eating apricots during pregnancy is good for you and your baby.
Yes, it is completely safe to eat apricots during pregnancy. Apricot belongs to the Rosaceae family (cherries, peaches, plums, almond, etc. also belong to this family), and this fruit could be added to your pregnancy diet for its immense health benefits. You can safely consume 1 to 2 kernels in a day. However, it is imperative to wash the fruit thoroughly (if eating in raw form), to get rid of harmful pesticides and chemicals.
There are many health benefits of consuming apricots during pregnancy; some of which are as follows:
1. Helps With Constipation
Apricots are a rich source of fibre and thus eating them during pregnancy can help overcome constipation. They also help in improving digestion during pregnancy.
2. Helps in Treating Anaemia
3. Helps Maintain Eye Health
Apricots are a good source of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is beneficial in improving eye health. Eating apricots during pregnancy takes care of your eye health.
4. Helps in Maintaining Blood Sugar Levels
Apricots are effective in keeping blood sugar levels under check. By controlling the blood glucose levels, you are less likely to suffer from gestational diabetes during pregnancy.
5. Good for Your Baby
Consuming apricots during pregnancy is also good for your baby. The presence of folic acid in apricots helps in the prevention of congenital disabilities such as spina bifida in newborn babies. Apricots are loaded with essential nutrients which are beneficial for foetal growth and development.
6. Good for Your Skin
Apricots can do wonders for your skin. Adding apricots to your pregnancy diet will be good for your skin and make your skin glow.
7. Helps in Lactation
Apricots are not only useful during pregnancy but are also effective in improving milk production post-pregnancy, in lactating mothers.
Dried apricots also have immense health benefits. Here are some of the benefits of consuming apricots during pregnancy:
- Dried apricots have high potassium content that can be effective in treating swelling experienced during pregnancy.
- Dried apricots are a good source of natural sugar, glucose, and fructose. Consuming dried apricots helps in preventing pregnancy craving for sweets.
- Dried apricots can be consumed during pregnancy to take care of your digestion issues.
- Dried apricots are rich in calcium. Consuming them during pregnancy helps in foetal bone development.
- Dried apricots are effective in dealing with heartburns experienced during pregnancy.
Taking a balanced diet is essential during pregnancy. It is crucial to consume everything in moderation. The same rule applies for apricots also. Though apricots have many health benefits for a pregnant woman and her baby, there are also risks or side effects that may arise after consuming apricots:
- Consuming unripe apricots may cause discomfort and gastric problems in a pregnant woman.
- Apricots may cause allergic reactions. Apricots contain sulphur dioxide, which may cause a reaction in women who are allergic to sulphites. Women who have sulphur sensitivity should be careful while eating apricots.
- The tip of the apricot fruit contains amygdalin, a chemical which may upset your system. It is recommended to consume apricot after removing its tip to get the maximum benefits out of the fruit.
How to Eat Apricots During Pregnancy
While apricots can be eaten as fresh or dried fruit, there are many ways you can include this delicious fruit in your diet. If you are a fan of smoothies, soak some apricots and figs and blend them with milk and ice cubes to make a healthy smoothie―it will keep the hunger away. You can also add sliced apricots to breakfast bowls like porridge, oats, or cereal to start your day with a nutritious meal. Don’t forget to wash and de-seed the fruit before adding it to your food.
It is good to eat apricot as a dry fruit during pregnancy; however, it is important to remember the following points before adding it to your pregnancy diet:
- It is recommended that you eat apricot along with your breakfast, or as a mid-morning or evening snack to get the best benefit.
- It is best to eat apricot in its dried form or ripened form. Unripe apricots can cause severe discomfort and gastric problems during pregnancy.
- It is recommended that you eat apricots in moderation (2-3pcs/day) as over consumption may prove to be harmful during pregnancy.
- Talk to your doctor before adding apricots to your diet, to know if you are sulphur allergic.
Apricots have many health benefits, and it is safe to eat this fruit during your pregnancy. However, one must exercise caution and not go overboard in consuming apricots during pregnancy. If you experience uneasiness or other symptoms after consuming apricots, it is suggested that you seek medical help. You are recommended to get in touch with your doctor or dietician before you add or remove any food from your pregnancy diet.
Also Read: Eating Cashew Nuts during Pregnancy