In this Article
Pregnancy and nutrition go hand in hand, and a mommy-to-be needs to monitor the food she consumes during pregnancy. What to eat and what not to eat may become a never-ending battle for you in your pregnancy. The pregnancy diet should be rich in vital nutrients such as iron, folic acid, protein, calcium and iodine. Apricot is one food that is power packed and contains most of these nutrients. Do you have apprehensions about adding this wondrous fruit in your pregnancy diet? Well! We shall discuss in detail about how to effectively add apricot in your pregnancy diet and get maximum benefits from it.
What are Apricots
Apricot is a fruit that belongs to the category of drupe fruits (which can be eaten in raw as well as dried form). This fruit is a good source of calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus and Vitamin A, C and E and eating apricots during pregnancy is good for you and your baby.
Are Apricots Safe for Pregnant Women?
Yes, it is extremely safe to eat apricots during pregnancy. Apricot belongs to Rosaceae family (cherries, peaches, plums, almond etc. also belong to this family) and this fruit may be added to your pregnancy diet for its immense health benefits. You may safely consume 1 to 2 kernels in a day. However, it is very important to wash the fruit thoroughly to get rid of the harmful pesticides and chemicals.
Health Benefits of Having Apricots during Pregnancy
There are many health benefits of consuming apricots in pregnancy; some of the benefits are as follows:
1. Helps with Constipation
Apricots are a rich source of fibre and thus consuming them in pregnancy helps overcome constipation. They also help in improving your digestion during pregnancy.
2. Helps in Treating Anaemia
Apricots are very rich in iron and copper. These nutrients are very effective in increasing haemoglobin in the blood and thus help in treating anaemia in pregnancy.
3. Helps to Maintain Good Eye Health
Apricots are a good source of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is very beneficial in improving eye health. Eating apricots in pregnancy takes care of your eye health.
4. Helps in Maintaining Blood Sugar Levels
Apricots are effective in keeping the blood sugar levels under check. By keeping the blood glucose levels under check you are less likely to suffer from gestational diabetes in pregnancy.
5. Good for your Baby
Consuming apricots in pregnancy is also good for your baby. The presence of folic acid in apricots helps in prevention of birth defects such as spina bifida in newborn babies. Apricots are loaded with essential nutrients which are beneficial for foetal growth and development.
6. Good for your Skin
Apricots are very good for your skin. Eating apricots in pregnancy is good for your skin and it makes your skin glow.
7. Helps in Lactation
Apricots are not only good in pregnancy but are also effective in improving milk production in lactating mothers.
8. Effective in Treating Vaginal Infections
You may battle with vaginal infections in pregnancy. Apricot kernel paste can be applied to cure your vaginal infections.
Dried apricots also have immense health benefits. Here are some of the benefits of consuming apricots in pregnancy:
- Dried apricots have diuretic properties. Eating dried apricots is extremely effective in treating swelling in pregnancy.
- Dried apricots are a good source of natural sugar, glucose and fructose. Consuming dried apricots helps in preventing pregnancy craving for sweets.
- Dried apricots can be consumed in pregnancy to take care of your digestion issues.
- Dried apricots are rich in calcium. Consuming them in pregnancy helps in foetal bone development.
- Dried apricots are effective in dealing with heartburns in pregnancy.
Risks and Side Effects of Consuming Apricots While Pregnant
Consuming a balanced diet is important in pregnancy. It is very important to consume everything in moderation. The same rule applies for apricots also. Though apricots have many health benefits for a pregnant woman and her baby, there are also the following risks or side effects that may arise after consuming apricots:
- Consuming more number of apricots may make you feel dizzy in pregnancy. You may even experience a headache and giddiness.
- Consuming unripe apricots may cause discomfort and gastric problems in a pregnant woman.
- Eating too much apricot may affect the nervous system of a pregnant woman and it can be very discomforting for a pregnant woman.
- Apricots may cause allergic reactions. Apricots contain sulphur dioxide and may cause an allergic reaction in women who are allergic to sulphites.
- The tip of the apricot fruit contains amygdalin, a chemical which may upset your system. It is recommended to consume apricot after removing its tip to get the maximum benefits out from the fruit.
- Consuming excess amounts of apricots may lead to respiratory paralysis.
- Apricots have bittersweet taste and many pregnant women may not like its peculiar taste.
Points to Remember
It is good to eat apricot dry fruit during pregnancy, however, it is good to remember following before adding it to your pregnancy diet:
- It is recommended to eat apricot along with your breakfast, or it is a good option to add it as a mid-morning or evening snack.
- It is best to eat apricot in its dried form or ripen form. Unripe apricots can cause severe discomfort and gastric problems in pregnancy.
- It is recommended to eat apricots in moderation and overconsumption may prove to be harmful in pregnancy.
- Talk to your doctor before adding apricots in your diet.
Apricots have many health benefits and it is extremely safe to eat this fruit in your pregnancy. However, one must exercise caution and not go overboard in consuming apricots in pregnancy. If you notice any kind of uneasiness or other symptoms after consuming apricots, it is suggested to seek medical help. It is recommended to get in touch with your doctor before you add or remove any food from your pregnancy diet.
Also Read: Eating Cashew Nuts during Pregnancy